where to put my gauges?

can’t make my mind up if i prefer 3 guages on left or 2 guages on right

would both be too much?

LOL

ahahh… meant to say i’d only need space for 2 but trickster ain’t gonna do the 2-guage thing i don’t think ?

not sure i need a clock time keeping is for anal retentives…

Isn’t there a lap timer guage that’ll fit?
Boost guage for Audi conversions.
Coolometer for S1s…

\

[image]> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/Trickster2006/CIMG0901.jpg> [/image]

if I bite the bullet i’d put in spa ones and then drill a small hole in the front of the gauge part inbetween the gauges to mount an led for warning …

Seems you have thought of everything there! I’m up for one…

And it’d be dead easy to run external SPA alarms from there to a dash warning light.

Ian

…but the only way to make it "cheap " is go the abs(plastic) route and im trying very hard to avoid that …even if didnt have the panel caste and bought them off Lotus they are �90 apiece and its doesnt become viable to have the gauge pod part cast, welded and polished out then painted again …once again it puts the cost into the high realm …i do try keep things as reasonable as possible and its then there for more people to enjoy …not everyone has ������s to spend on extras … [/quote]

they do look very good! cutting in the new pod bit and welding, polishing and painting on an origional part is very expensive. obviously a form and then vac forming would be the lotus way and probably a lot cheaper when only a few parts are produced? When the tool is machined from resin tooling material like Ureol? great work.

…but the only way to make it "cheap " is go the abs(plastic) route and im trying very hard to avoid that …even if didnt have the panel caste and bought them off Lotus they are �90 apiece and its doesnt become viable to have the gauge pod part cast, welded and polished out then painted again …once again it puts the cost into the high realm …

Have you thought about an exchange service on the old return part - would knock that �90 off the end price? Don’y know how you would get it posted though?

Have you thought about an exchange service on the old return part - would knock that �90 off the end price? Don’y know how you would get it posted though? [/quote]

This maybe a possibility…trouble is, without boring everyone to death (yeah yeah I know already done that) If I use the original extrusion I can actually get it way way cheaper than from Lotus …but means another tooling setup but end product comes out significantly lower like less than half, so have to weigh all the options up…but even so a swap arrangement may happen but on the smaller r/h panel Im talking to another company to get this on the market for everyone so it maybe that in the end they are for sale from someone else completely…

Ohhh and heres hoping this thread doesnt get deleted like on other forums

What was the reason for that? Yes it’s vaguely commercial, but you’re trying to help people, not blatantly profiteer (or are you? ).

Ian

What was the reason for that? Yes it’s vaguely commercial, but you’re trying to help people, not blatantly profiteer (or are you? ).

Ian

Hi Ian
no mate im not in business , its a sideline so unfortunately i cant afford to be a paid advertiser on all forums,I’ve only had 2 things made and that was because I wanted them for my car ,so get them done and sell others to cover all my costs , plus it benefits others at the end of the day if I sell enough to cover costs I’m happy , if I sell more than that it goes on the next project,i’ve two more in line maybe 3 but this funds it so its a waiting game …I got removed on the other forum because I should have asked admin apparently if I could post something like that and also its against forum rules for anything commercial anyways no big deal if I cant post it on there so be it…just had a email back from pistonheads and they gave permission to post in the gassing area so some forums are easier than others I guess.

well I’m pretty sure it won’t get deleted from here…let me know when you are taking orders

well I’m pretty sure it won’t get deleted from here…let me know when you are taking orders

Sure hope so …Im seeing the factory next week and getting prices for 20 of these so I’ll post as I know the info…cheers all

How are you getting along with this one Trickster?

I now need to accommoodate 3 gauges in my line of sight and this would do the trick perfectly…

yeh trickster any news ?

Slow guys im sorry to say Im now on the third factory that "promised …yeah no problem " and they then get the prototype for a couple of weeks and then come back with a "ahhh no we cant " or some stupid f******g cost that (like i mean ridiculous) this is of course discounting the umpteen factories I approached early so dispondancy is setting in fast!..but well fingers are crossed as always that actually one of these “manufactures” can actually come up with the goods as promised …I will update soon as I know …

with which process are you proposing to make the part?

with which process are you proposing to make the part?

Well it started off with ally like the original, then tried various cf factories which proved a no go and so seeing as getting it done in ally is nigh on impossible without the huge outlay that would never be recouped its looking like abs, when the right hand side one is done I’ve been assured that it would be “ok for casting in ally” but the left 3 gauge one is so much longer that its giving me plus the factories headaches. Dont get me wrong everything is possible …I can have the panels made at anytime from the first people I spoke to,its just that the final costing is so ridiculous so its a matter of searching for a cheap but quality product somewhere else.

What about something with the same shape that you could just put on top of the dash?
Same shape as yours but without the complexity of doing the whole piece.

If it was the same colour and texture, it wouldn’t look so bad as an add-on gauge pod.

And you’d avoid sooo much hassle (and place it more to the left as well)

I made a nice simple folded bracket which fits under the heater controls of an ac car, uses the original trim screws and still allows full use of the interior light. Sorted. i made it out of thermoplastic sheet so i could fold the tabs easily. i plan to make a tool and produce a carbon one. i will post a piccy.

Should have these done at last sometime this week.
Also tried an s2 version with carbon fibre effect leather see
http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=747dd571ccaec653f8c8a6ea1a629290&showtopic=8017