where to put my gauges?

hello chaps, last years oil pressure and temp gauges is once again here. I now have them working but am trying to decide where to locate them. I have poached the piccy from i think uldis’s car showing the alu bracket jobbie. but i dont think this fits the design at all. so i have done a few sketches to get some ideas. so here they are. Either making a carbon bit more rounded version of the vertical leg. or modifiing the switch heater trim part, or todays newest idea, a new trim panel in the gear stick area. need to do a mock up in foam to check if the ergomics are ok and that the gauges are visible. but looks interesting i think. what do you think?

uldis’s
[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges1.jpg[/image]

number2
[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges2.jpg[/image]

number3 finish in matt nextel like the lotus bits

[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges3.jpg[/image]

number4 finish in carbon.
[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges4.jpg[/image]

number5
[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges5.jpg[/image]

Nice work Mitch

I like number 1 and number 3. I’m not keen on 2 for some reason, but maybe it would work if the quality is good. I wouldn’t do the carbon finish unless you’re planning to change some other parts to match. Number 5 just doesn’t work for me at all.

I think number 3 is best overall. It looks like it could have left the factory like that. Everything else looks a bit aftermarket.

cheers brendan for the feedback, i am of the same opinion really, although a reduced version of number 5 is a close second for me…

version 6…
[image]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/davismike/Gauges6.jpg[/image]

What’ve you been doing to my car!

Looks great, although personally it all seems a bit style over substance to me (sure you’re not a closet S2 owner? ).

With a full-face helmet on I doubt you will be able to see the gauges in any of those positions. When you’re going to look at them is an important thing to consider. The best situation is so you only have to move your eyes, even better is to use gauges with an external alarm that tells you when something’s gone tits-up.

Ian

Ian, I’m thinking of buying the same gauge mount you’ve got. Is it held firmly in place, or does it shake about because the bottom is not attached to anything?

Mitch, nice ideas! One vote for number 3 here

[quote]What’ve you been doing to my car!

sorry ian, i will put it all back as i found it…

i agree with the points about seeing them with helmet on, i shall sit in the gargage and do some checking…

That’s Iain’s car, mine doesn’t have carpets or AC

But on your subject… place them wherever you can see them clearly while driving.
Although by the lever they’ll look good (but strange) I doubt you can see them down there.
What about one on each side of the stack?

People so have to see my warning light at Donny, it’s just such a brilliant thing.

Ian

Ian, I’m thinking of buying the same gauge mount you’ve got. Is it held firmly in place, or does it shake about because the bottom is not attached to anything?

I think it’s a benefit to have a bit of play, stops the gauges being given such a hard time.

That said, it is held pretty securely at the bottom and I have fixed the top of mine with heavy duty velcro, for even more vibration reduction. I had planned to bolt/screw it at the top but I’m not at all disatisfied with how it is. Makes it easy to get out to work on if needed.

Ian

That’s Iain’s car, mine doesn’t have carpets or AC

But on your subject… place them wherever you can see them clearly while driving.
Although by the lever they’ll look good (but strange) I doubt you can see them down there.
What about one on each side of the stack?

also a good idea, bit tricky to fix them maybe. how does the pod come off? might have a little play tonight.

on the subject of visibility, of course better in the line of sight but you need a warning light or similiar for a definate alert, a wobbling needle for the oil pressure is not going to get spotted half way around a corner on the ragged edge.

how does the pod come off?

Undo the screws on the steering surround (from memory - 3 underneath, 1 on each side, 2 on the front), easier with a removable steering wheel.

Then you’ll see two bolts on a goldy coloured bracket at the back holding the Stack pod on. Simply undo.

Ian

sounds easy enough. by the way which is the favoured removable steering wheel hub kit? i think i need one.

Thanks Ian

Anyone considered either the A pillar or in a pod mounted to the roof?

Nice images by the way…

HUD on the windscreen?

HUD on the windscreen?

Don’t get Ian started on HUDs again

Benja, I thought the last idea was to put the alarm light IN the helmet!

sounds easy enough. by the way which is the favoured removable steering wheel hub kit? i think i need one.

I use the Snap-On that Bell&Colvill sell. Can’t say it’s the greatest thing in the world though.

Ian

Just to let you all know, I supply the ally gauge panels and i’m real happy with them as a whole, no they dont move if properly fitted and plus they look good with the bead blast finish …but just for you track guys!..i’ve just spent a few months on the next project along with some fair sized investment and there is a way better solution, my prototype is done and painted (stock senotex) and im just waiting for it back …you want gauges , this will have mountings for 3 of them, you want eye line ok you’ve got it, you want a stock finished look …oh yes that too, you want quality, if you can find better buy it …only drawback will be price …this is dependent on a few things and i’ll advise asap …but for now the post was to wet your appetites…i’ll post the pics next week and let you make up your own minds …oh and also a big thanks for all the guys that have bought the existing panel off me …much appreciated and you’ll be glad to know any profit went into getting new stuff made and out there for all of us