Question for s2 exigers with uprated intercooler?

[quote=moomin][quote=ade]Same car same dyno etc. with a large front facing fan

3 pulls in 6th from 2k rpm to full power create a temp chart for each.

I would suggest using a car that generates suitable charge temps for the test, so a car running around 300hp would do.

(bringing your Dad’s is optional) :whistle: [/quote]
I’m up for that , track would be better , now who has a 300hp Exige that’s running an intercooler at the mo mmmmmmm! [/quote]

Cool, it will be good to see the results. If the MMG is better cool, that progress and thats a benefit to us all :wink:

Not on my car though , my cars hp is small like my dad !

There is no need to throw your toys dude.

I have no clue what you do for a living, but if i started bigging up your competition when i had ZERO evidence to back up anything I have said, how would you feel.

Plus, do people who are thinking of making a purchase really want to hear this is better than that form someone with ZERO evidence.

Just to add, I have no elegance to anyone. I just think Exiges.com is a great place, partly because we dont have the seloc-esk “I have spent my money on something and fitted it to my car, so therefore it must be the greatest thing in the world ever and I will argue until I am blue in the face with anyone that says any different” attitude.

Just to add, Coke is better than Pepsi and anyone that likes Lion Bars is weird!!!

Doh!!! I was slower than Boothy!

That is the only time I will be saying that!!! :wink:

But it would have been ok if I had said “get a forge” or " the forge has been tested against the Cup one on CNs Dyno " with the same ZERO data on flow rates and heat transfer on any of the intercoolers to prove it !

Ain’t that the truth! :smiley:

See there you go again…

[quote=moomin]But it would have been ok if I had said “get a forge” or " the forge has been tested against the Cup one on CNs Dyno " with the same ZERO data on flow rates and heat transfer on any of the intercoolers to prove it !
[/quote]

Ooop and again… What I can tell you from various dyno’s done by CN’s on Forge and OEM cars is that the forge gives consistently 5-10bhp over OEM, thats why I can recommend the Forge just like others on here with a Forge can.
What nobody ever said is that the Forge is better than the MMG, you did, with nothing to back it up. Once you can cool, but Jesus get a grip man and stop going on about your Dad.

WOT!!!

No way JFK… thats not good…

unless you are using the dosh for some more MODS! :smiley:

What happened man? :crazy:

[quote=blacktoy]A good test would be on track with a spanner who can swap intercoolers quickly.

Stock Intercooler - do a 10 minute session & record temps/speeds.
Pit, fit the Forge - do a 10 minute session & record temps/speeds.
Pit, fit the MMC - do a 10 minute session & record temps/speeds.
[/quote]

I would wager a Nannnnn that it would make cock all difference to speeds! A 5-10 bhp increase in BHP on a 250ish bhp engine only about a 3% increase in engine power!

Driver training would make MUCH more difference! :smiley:

Pete - I totally disagree.

I did a trackday at Bedford (std intercooler) and found that my first lap down the back straight would pull 120, maybe 125 and then all subsequent laps I could struggle to get past 112-115 - and thats with the tyres at a better temp for existing the corner before the straight too.

Car is strangled by std intercooler, fact.

Forge makes it better, fact.

By how much is the debate.

Yep I do agree with you over standard I am sure… :slight_smile:

what I meant was the diff between the Forge and other offerings out on track.

I think its worth pointing out a few things:

• We all want our cars to go faster for the cheapest possible cost
  • Dyno’s talk bullshit walks

I don’t think people get upset when modification gains are proven in black and white and then other people end up buying that modification and get the results they paid for.

I won’t name any vendors out there but I had a manifold system installed on my car and heard many power claims. It took best part of a day to perform a baseline dyno, replace the manifold, mapping, post dyno and then refit the original manifold. The reason why the original manifold was refitted was because the mapper just couldn’t get any more power out of it. Year later I go back to the same place and get a different manifold (different vendor beginning with 2 :wink:) fitted, this time the mapper gets 25whp and 12lb/ft gain.

At the end of the day chaps we all pay decent money to make our cars go faster. If you’re paying hundreds of � for power then its always good to verify what exactly you paid for otherwise your pissing money down the drain.

Agree with the above, I spent a lot of cash last year and gained 1hp and lost 2lb/ft of torque in the process and I suspect that was just due to slightly different atmospherics during the day, other upgrades have yielded much higher gains for the money, all of these inter coolers will be better than the standard one, by how much is debatable, at the end of the days you pay your money and make your choice :wink:

[quote=moomin]But it would have been ok if I had said “get a forge” or " the forge has been tested against the Cup one on CNs Dyno " with the same ZERO data on flow rates and heat transfer on any of the intercoolers to prove it !

[/quote]

Where has anyone said it would be OK to say that???

True !
I’m not 100% sure on data given by makers or sellers/ re-sellers and also dynos are not the best place to test intercoolers and charge coolers.
It would be great to do a proper test with all the options on track same day for real life independent data.

[quote=SeanB][quote=moomin]But it would have been ok if I had said “get a forge” or " the forge has been tested against the Cup one on CNs Dyno " with the same ZERO data on flow rates and heat transfer on any of the intercoolers to prove it !

[/quote]

Where has anyone said it would be OK to say that??? [/quote]
They have been said , did you say anything about proven data ?

I think a few facts ned to be cleared up here:-

NA rocks only because of the effect of stiffer, less flexible engine mounts. The whole car then rocks.

The Forge is bobbins. But only they remember to supply them. In the right size. So much for development eh :astonished:

:wink:

[quote=tim_marra]I think a few facts ned to be cleared up here:-

NA rocks only because of the effect of stiffer, less flexible engine mounts. The whole car then rocks.
:wink: [/quote]

Very funny!!! :smiley:

[quote=Whiteysback]I’m actually testing the MMG stage 1 intercooler right now back to back against the Forge jobbie. Results along shortly.

All I can say is that the MMG one has been designed specifically to offer the best performance upgrade over the “competition”. From what I can see of the core and construction the MMG one certainly looks to be the better option.[/quote]

Ok, as I said several pages back I’m going to be testing both the Forge i/c and the MMG stage 1 i/c back to back (i have both in hand).

I will be using my own car which is mildly uprated and should be ideal as it relies on low intake temps in order to perform. My car will not require a remap to run an i/c instead of it’s usual c/c setup (in fact I was running MMG’s stage 1 i/c for 5 weeks whilst my MMG c/c was off being fettled with for development. If I have the time I will also test the standard i/c too as a benchmark. I will be using an OBD port data logger to record intake temps and ignition timing.

I’m going to book an open pit lane full track day at Brands Hatch indy circuit on either the 1st or 25th Feb to perform the testing back to back, on the same day and at the same speeds.

Finally, what tests do we all agree would be suitable? I know some suggestions have been made but before i agree on one over another does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hopefully this will provide the much sought after data some of the Exige forum owners crave. Like all of you I personally expect both the Forge and the MMG stage 1 to be massively better than the standard i/c. Which of the 2 tuners i/c’s is best will be the real test tho.

Incidentally I am told that detailed flow test data from the manufacturer of the MMG stage 1 core will be with me within the next fortnight. I have emailed Forge for their data but have yet to recieve a reply (I will chase them again later this week).

One other thing…and i really dont want to inflame this bunfight again but it’s obvious from some of the forum members that we all have our favourite products and feel passionate about the kit we’ve spent our hard earned on. Lets not turn Exiges.com into SELOC, it should be fine to favour one brand over another AND tell other members about it. Why does someone need a scientific journal to back up their claim???
This thread started because someone asked “which uprated i/c should I get?” those replying get the Forge i/c clearly favour it over other brands and did not provide any specific data backing up their reasons when offering their advice, why should those same people then be up in arms when someone else says they rate the MMG i/c over the Forge i/c? Furthermore they moan for data when someone says their product is better when they themselves cant give any data/exact reasons when they’re advising to get the forge!
Pot and kettle spring to mind.

Anyway stroll on the proper testing and we’ll see whats what. I dont care much as i expect the result to be close.

My only comment would be - measure temps/whatever, but ffs no timing on trackdays please!

Thanks, & enjoy your cars in the relatively safe environment of trackdays, guys :sunglasses: