Poll: VHPD rebuild vs. conversion

VHPD definitely-its called character-thats why ive got a Ducati 748SPS not a japanese sewing machine and an 8year old 306GTI-not one of the new clone hot hatches.

good man…well said
VHPD anytime, these peeps who have done a conversion did rip the heart out of the car but be warned it will take revenge on ya one day…ha-ha
how on earth can you put a Japanese rice cooker into an English car
laterz,
Bruno

Hi Bruno

[image]http://vidangesdudiable.blogspirit.com/images/medium_head-in-sand.jpg[/image]

[quote]Hi Bruno

[image]

elo matey
You see I have got time at home to waste it here…
Severin is asleep at last…
hope you are fine…
laterz,
Bruno

Simon,

“AE however is a completely self contained company in Fed M’s ownership which exists to supply and retail NON OE, RECONDITIONING parts, these are cheap non OE parts designed for the aftermarket only - great if you want to get a few more miles out of a knackered old engine”

AE make the OE pistons for the Rover K series. The ones I just took out of a VVC 160 have the AE logo embossed on them…

While we are the subject of porosity, you mention that Judd use an ordinary VVC castings off the production line… nonsense, not only do they use a selected casting , it is actually a different casting produced specifically for them with some changes to the core to put more material where they want it. When they fit their heads they are fitted with a cheap pattern gasket which has 83mm fire rings and a steel shim against the head surface , I’ll leave you to figure out why they need a shim against the head surface… possible problems with breaches across the fire ring…

As I have said before many times, if you are going to post give information about third parties activities to support your claims/postings, make sure that they are accurate first.

Dave

[quote]Actually Pesky that’s exactly what you’ve done stuck your head in the sand,

oi oi Rob, did you hear that…
Can I dig you out, mate…
laterz,
Bruno

Simon,

They do not use exactly the same moulds, the inlet port core is raised significantly as is the deck necessitating longer valves and shorter buckets, so your information that they use standard VVC castings was rubbish and furthermore you knew it was rubbish.

On would think from the tone of your mail Simon, that I deliberately tracked down some cheap quality liners to ensure that they would fail. I didn’t, I approached a well known manufacturer who at that time were the only alternative to the crap ones that Rover were shipping at the time. The very same manufacturer who produces the pistons and rings for the K series. Despite your assertions these were and are dimensionally indistinguishable from the Current Rover OE liners.

According to the information I have from AE these are produced at the same production facility as the Goetze liners, I will go back to my source and get a definitive reply from him.

Dave

The measurements I posted were taken from a sample of new Goetze liners direct from Rover and marked as such and from a sample of AE liners also new and direct. So why are you hung up on GKN liners?, first rule of engine building, know what you are doing.

From what I have heard of the limited casting run, the word was out to make sure that the castings were of the best possible quality in order that casting anomolies, ash and voids were kept to a minimum, hardly surprising really when you consider what their intended use was.

I am told that the reason that they were cast in the factory was for reasons connected with homologation and that the shortcomings of the casting process were well known as outlined oin the previous thread by a poster involved in the testing of the Euro4 spec K series. If you read that thread you will see that he reports multiple head gasket failures during engine testing due to breaches across the fire ring where imperfections in the casting caused the material to collapse. Note that his original posting on Seloc was entirely unconnected with any posting made by me.

Simon S has asked me to correct another inexactitude in your earlier post about his engine which made 220BHP not 208 as you claim.

Dave

Actually Pesky that’s exactly what you’ve done stuck your head in the sand,

That is totally incorrect,

he usually sticks his head up his arse!

Standard JDM Honda + cams = 245 bhp.

Really - fabulous and it’s only a two litre too…

simon

Two litre standard road engine, straight out the front of a Honda Civic.

Yep, & what I see looks better than the shite I’ve read on here today

[image]Wirtualna Polska - Wszystko co ważne - www.wp.pl

Simon,

I still have the liners here that were measured… and it wasnt me who measured them. I have photos of big-ends bearings that are through to the metal, those were not Marks which I am happy to concede, however his bearings were severely rogered as witnessed by his own photos.

Scuffo has a dyno sheet that supports his figure, I suggest you take that up with him.

My information about the head castings comes from a very reliable and informed source. Thew information abouthead gasket failure comes from someone involved in the Euro4 testing I suggest you read his posting on Seloc and the cross posting to Exiges. They are his findings not mine. It doesnt surpise me at all that rover would want to deny a problem, they have probably sworn ‘porous Pete’ to silence as well.

Dave

Yep, & what I see looks better than the shite I’ve read on here today

[image]> Wirtualna Polska - Wszystko co ważne - www.wp.pl> [/image]

Perfect

Mr Admin…any chance of locking this thread? It doesn’t seem to reflect the usual high standard of banter/craic/wellbeing exiges.com is respected for.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim.

Feel slightly humble that Dave and Simon are having another one of their robust debates on a thread I started!

Whatever the rights and wrongs, I find it fascinating reading when they get going!

That burns oil at a rate of knots, has liners notorious for going wobbly, timing chains/tensioners that break and weighs 118kg?? at very best , i’d say 135/140 - thats twice Mark’s engine weight, and standard production engine = ordinary, 10, 12 , 13 grand - madness!!!

simon

Au contraire

I have been bouncing it off the rev limiter (literally) for the past 2 1/2 years, 2 years of those racing. The only problem I have had is the oil pressure relief valve sticking.

Edit - btw, the rev limit has been 8800 for this last race season!

Comments on those facts please ?