Poll: VHPD rebuild vs. conversion

I know this forum doesn’t have a poll function, but hey…

Hypothetical Question:

Faced with an expired VHPD, who here would pay to have the engine expertly rebuilt, in the interests of originality, rather than convert to a Honda or one of the other options?

This is a question that’s occupied me for some time. The VHPD in my car is fine (touch wood), but I just know that some day it may expire.

As good as the Honda conversions are, the non originality would always bother me. I know I’m probably in a minority here, but does anyone else feel like this?

I think the VHPD actually has character and a vulnerability that makes it interesting to own, whereas the Hondas are simply crushingly capable and efficient.

It probably all hinges on how you use your car, when all said and done.

What do you reckon?

What do you reckon?

I reckon you should get an S2.

For me this is the statement that makes the difference. If I used my Exige prodomenently as a road car it would have a Honda engine in it. If you ask me, no hassle enjoyment of your car is the most important thing and the Honda engine allows that.

But if the originality thing is big for you, then if your K is put together right it will be reliable.

Sean…

If I used my Exige prodomenently as a road car it would have a Honda engine in it. If you ask me, no hassle enjoyment of your car is the most important thing and the Honda engine allows that.

Even more true if you’re tracking it. So, Honda wins all round.

Oh, & so does the Audi for exactly the same reasons.

VHPD for me was looking into going Honda last week but thinking about it I could get 3 VHPD rebuilds by DVA for the price. For some strange reason I’ve grown quite fond of the rover beast as well

I think you might be right Alex, Original is best, in 15 years time the rover powered cars are going to be worth 3 times the amount of honda powered ones. but if you’re not going to keep it that long don’t worry about it. I am seriously considering puting a vhpd engine in my elise.

If we didn’t have people like Dave Andrews around, who can work such magic, then this question probably wouldn’t even arise.

It’s a difficult one. It’s not clear cut for me. I know fast forwarding to some Coys auction in 2032 to see an S1 still with it’s VHPD fitted is probably missing the point of the car today, but I somehow see it as my duty to help that happen!
Enjoying it in the meantime obviously…
We’ll have probably run out of petrol and the glue in the chassis will have fallen out by then anyway…

A lotus is for life not just for christmas

My main reason for sticking to K series for racing is weight. I can get the power I want in a lighter package. Also the Honda engine is the wrong way round, so you can’t get a nice inlet on it, plus it spins the wrong way so my gearbox wont go on it.

I reckon I also have a bit of the “originality” thing going on.

But as already mentioned for a road car I think it is a great conversion.

Never really considered the Audi as I wanted normally asperated.

Stick with the K. The VHPD isn’t perfect by any means but it doesn’t take too much to improve it in leaps and bounds.

Having said that, if a conversion is totally reversible like I think some of the Honda’s are, then you could always put a K back in if you ever wanted to sell it. You could then check yourself into a mental asylum for wanting to do such a thing!

Yes it does!

I think it’d depend a lot on how I was feel/loaded I was.

I really want a SC Honda (but that’d cost a lot on fuel tyres, etc). I quite like the VHPD. But the straight Honda just seems the sensible way to go.

There you, my decision.

Ian

Hypothetical Question:

Faced with an expired VHPD, who here would pay to have the engine expertly rebuilt, in the interests of originality, rather than convert to a Honda or one of the other options?

This is a question that’s occupied me for some time. The VHPD in my car is fine (touch wood), but I just know that some day it may expire.

As good as the Honda conversions are, the non originality would always bother me. I know I’m probably in a minority here, but does anyone else feel like this?

I think the VHPD actually has character and a vulnerability that makes it interesting to own, whereas the Hondas are simply crushingly capable and efficient.

What do you reckon?

I was once thinking very much along your lines and when I finally had a problem (which was compounded by a bad mechanic) I chose to stick with the VHPD.
It is now very, very smooth, same power as the JDM Hondas, lighter and believe it or not, I like the lumpy idle.

In the back of my mind I always had the question, would it be better with a different engine? Having been in several different engined cars I can say it is so good that when it finally wears out I’ll rebuild it again.

And yes, any engine will wear out with the type of use we give it: hard.

I agree with Uldis again!!!

What is the deal with that, I seem to be agreeing with you all the bloody time. lol.

Sean…

…I could get 3 VHPD rebuilds by DVA for the price.

Has anyone had a go at doing their own Honda conversion, rather than paying a fortooona for a garage to do it? Sure, it would be a lot of messing around, but then �10k is a lot of money too.

OK, My car has had the honda plus the supercharger conversion, its in completely standard road trim no weight redcution of any sort.
825kg with 30ltrs of fuel.
If you want an honest statement, I love my car since the conversion, its trully astounding the difference.
Cant defend the fact it cost a lot of money but at the end of the day you are geting a standard honda engine with a Sc on it and so far after a couple of trackdays and only coming second, after leading the day for several hours in the tuner gp held this year, a bloody fast car and very reliable.
I drive my car to its limits, I do not sod about in it, I use it as its supposed to be used as I have every car ive owned.
If you want reliability, go for a honda conversion after a remap 220bhp pretty much garanteed, 300+ with supercharger.
Im very pleased with my conversion, hopefuly with more to come, im at brands on the 24th? hopefully thats the date, anyone wants a go in it they are welcome to.

Christian

Christian, your car is awesome, I totally love it. 825kg’s is seriously light for a standard car with all the mods you have done, cool!! God knows why mine weighed 820kg’s and that was with the AC compresor removed!!!

If I make it to Brands, I will deffo be coming for a ride!!

Yes it does!

So it does! Just discovered how you use it!

Now, just need to think of a funny Geoff Capes option…

Or maybe not.

I like the originality of my audi - and it still has more power than the hondas…

(which are getting a bit common, nowadays… )

Roger that.

Soon, having a K will be a sign of exclusivity