motorsport covers

Ok … next task is to find some one reputable to paint and modify to fit car… Clips or hinge hmmmm… would like to use the perspect cover for road use and security (ie if ive got bags in the back…)

Any one got any recomendations for a paint/body shop in the Surrey area?

Cheers

M

Seems hinge, standard catch and then two slide zues clips, one on the leading edge and one half way down on both sides is the way to go … still secure that way ( alarm )

Only know one paintshop I would trust and they are near me in Birmingham … sorry

thought so …

Had a recomendation from Lakeside to speak to Panel Wise in Weybridge - they suggested I bring it in so they can take a look.

Out of interest how are we going to pick up/ get delivered -I assume they are all going to Mike?

Cheers

M

Seems hinge, standard catch and then two slide zues clips, one on the leading edge and one half way down on both sides is the way to go … still secure that way ( alarm )

Only know one paintshop I would trust and they are near me in Birmingham … sorry

That’s the way mine’s fitted except that I don’t have the clips half way down each side. They’re not necessary with the proper Lotus covers. I believe they were probably needed with the Elisparts covers because they don’t fit quite so well.

Andy, which bodyshop in Birmingham do you recommend? I want to get my from clam reprayed in the next few months to get rid of all the stone chips.

Brendan

Its Hallcraft - the guy who runs it is called Nick - tell him I sent you ( Andy with Black Exige and blue mini )

http://www.hallcraft.co.uk/repair.asp

Thanks Andy

I had my Elise repaired by Panelwise and the did a good job the colour match was 99% (Naultilus Blue) so I was more than happy. You could only spot a very slight colour difference if the light was right.

The panel gaps were also very good.

I am going to Bedford on the 31st Aug and will have the Exige on the trailer, so…

… if they have arrived I can take them along, assuming they will fit in the back of the BM that is…

Failing that, we’ll need a plan B…

I am bound to be going to a race meet somewhere near you, unless your name is an anagram of SLUID…

I already have a loose arrangement with Ken, but perhaps everyone else can either say here, or mail me.

My email address is on my profile, and guess what - it is already spammed to b@gg@ry.

Come back good buddies !!

I don’t know…I’ll soon be able to say I have the rare Exige with the standard cover…I assume you guys have all sat in a car with a Motorsport cover and seen the rear view…or have never used your rearview mirror

Come to think of it when I fit my video camera to the suction mount I may as well have a Motorsport cover…now I’m thinking…but it would have to be carbon

I took off my rear view mirror, so it doesn’t block the camera…

I doubt I’ll notice, therefore !!

Yes you will, it’ll be darn cooler in there!

Ian

Some thread on MLOC about clam repair at Hallcraft

here

Hi all,

just a quick note to confirm that the motorsport covers have been fabricated and dispatched. being sent by airfreight so should arrive in UK next week.

A

Thks - Mike L can you let me know if you still plan on taking these to Bedford (as I will need to arrange for another car to go with me to carry it back - dont have trailer luxuary ) … unless of course they dont arrive in time…

Cheers

Mark

Assuming they arrive before Bedford I will indeed take them there, for those that want them.

Anyone not going there who can arrange for someone else to pick up their cover (e.g. maybe the scottish contingent can find someone to transport them ‘oop north’?) so that a pony express could be arranged, please let me know as well.

Does pony express go north of Watford now?

Watford…

Never heard of it !!

Is it near Glasgow ??

Watford…

Never heard of it !!

Is it near Glasgow ??

ROFL

Since so many of you are buying these engine covers, I thought I’d share my experiences with you.

Before you get it painted, take a look at the cooling slots. I’ve seen a bit of variation in how these are cut out.
This is a bit hard to explain: If you look at each row of slots in profile, it’s like a series of steps. Horizontal and vertical lines.
I noticed on Russ T’s car (Eliseparts engine cover), the slots are very small. Only the vertical part has been cut away.
The normal arrangement is that a few inches of the horizontal part behind the vertical section are cut away. Good for cooling, not so good for security. I can remove the oil filler cap, or the dipstick without opening the engine cover.
If you want any kind of rear visibility, make sure the slots are cut out quite large, and make sure almost all of the vertical part is removed.
My slots were cut out very roughly. I neatened the edges with a file before it went to the body shop for spraying.

I suspected that rain water was getting in past the dip stick because it’s very exposed with this engine cover,so I’ve modified my dipstick slightly. Fitting a rubber ‘skirt’ (stop laughing) at the top to direct the water away from the tube.

I’ve made some fibreglass ducts to stop water getting into the boot from the lower cooling slots. It can be made sort of practical.

The upper pair of slots allow rain water to penetrate the seal at the top of the rear window. I’ve occasionally had pools of water on the shelf thingy behind the seats.
I’m going to make some fibreglass flaps to direct water away on my car.

I’ve moved the rear view mirror a few inches to the left, so it’s in line with the cooling slots. I now have at least a bit of a view on whatever is close behind me. If I have a tall passenger, this view is blocked, but the missus is quite short so it’s OK for me.