Inlet charge temps

Sorry for a bit of grave diggery, but my project for this summer has been to work on my IATs’ on my 2006 Exige S with the Lotus 260bhp upgrade. In the name of trying to whip up a bit of discussion on the forum I thought I’d post my findings.

I’ve been using Blyton Park trackdays as a reference point as it’s relatively easy for me to repeat, so no Spa figures I’m afraid - but hopefully useful to somebody.

The modifications I’ve done are:

2.5" pipes to the IC shroud from the sidepods
OEM intercooler
DIY heatshield under the IC
“Mail Slot” modification
Wider mesh on sidepods
Dual Catch-cans

I logged the temps using my ODB reader and the Android Torque app, and plotted the data in Excel.

I did some mid-year logs too at different circuits with wildly different ambient temps, but logged here for completeness. As you can see, I was working with much higher ambients and my changes managed to nullify that increase and even improve upon the much cooler ambient baseline - so it was reassuring.

I had no real idea what the correlation would be between ambient and IAT, but since adding the ducts and heatshields I’ve had a consistent 33ish degrees delta between ambient and average IAT reading on circuit. Pre-modifications that was closer to 50! This delta would suggest that the catch cans and letterbox have been marginal (if at all) gains, and the bulk of the improvement was from the ducts and/or heatshield.

So I’ve come to a bit of a conclusion that adding the ducts & Co is really good value for money/effort, but the two pieces of information I’m missing are:

-How would this change if I uprated the intercooler core itself? Plenty of posts on Exiges.com about this but some rather contradictory reports of the effectiveness of changing the intercooler. Going aftermarket with OEM airflow can be a downgrade in some cases, but how about with my new ducts?!

-How would this compare to a modern chargecooler setup? If a water based system could get me in a position where I was comfortably under 50degrees avg regardless of ambient, then I think it would be worth stepping up.

I’m almost certainly going to end up chargecooling this car, and this was never an exercise to save money on that front - but I did want to have a bit of fun and make some nice easy incremental updates throughout the year.

It’s clear that I’ve made a solid gain with this setup but the temperatures are still almost always over that alleged 50degrees threshold at which timing is pulled a bit.

When studying the data a bit more you can see big gains in how quickly the intercooler core recovers back down to a “resting” temperature, and the sessions on circuit can be much longer before the resting temperature starts to rise (heat soak).

I’m now at a crossroads, I’m pretty sure I want to continue making improvements but chucking some cash into a new intercooler is going to go a significant way towards the cost of a chargecooler setup. This winter I’m likely to have the front clam off to sort the rad and other bits out so would be an ideal time to do a CC install if that’s the route I go down.

My main concern with the CC is how much extra weight/complexity I’m adding to the car. Already having aircon anxiety with my sill pipes so don’t want to add more mess if possible!

Since this thread was started, DIY data logging is accessible to everyone thanks to ODB readers and apps such as Torque - so wondering if there’s any up to date stats that I can add to my findings to plot a course forward!

I have no stats so I cannot help there.

I can add though that adding a charge cooler ( I have the pro alloy one ) is relatively simple. The pipes are routed offside sill and you will need the aircon chargecooler rad supplied by pro alloy, or you have to butcher your plastic shrouding slightly.

For me, the weight is outweighed by the cooler temps ( despite me saying I have no data , I made more power and consistently )

If you are close to me ( Doncaster ) I am more than happy for you to poke around on my setup or Ill take a run out to you.

Cheers Andy, was hoping to get your input after your adventures :thumbup:

Yeah I’m Selby so not miles away, would be interested to benchmark my car against yours with known power figures but my arse dyno is particularly inaccurate so not sure how exactly we would do that :mrgreen:

Do you have any trackdays booked on the horizon? Could easily log your temperatures if so - I’m half considering booking LoT Blyton at the end of September but that’s 2 weeks from my wife’s due date so pushing my luck a little bit :neutral_face:

I would probably go for the Pro alloy bundle just through convenience, as I need a new rad too - I can get the full works.

Selby - down the road! Drop me a message and we can arrange a meeting!

I havent got anything booked as I am heading away for a few weeks then having my nitrons rebuilt.

We might struggle logging stuff as the aftermarket ECU nulls comms from the RS232 unless you have a dedicated ( expensive! ) cable…

Fair point on the aftermarket ECU, that’s a shame - what do you do for checking codes etc if ODB doesn’t work?!

Still will take you up on the meeting, will message you tonight!

I dont worry about codes :slight_smile:

If I get a cel thrown Ill just take it to the guys that mapped it.

I might even get myself a cable eventually.

Whilst I have no specific stats, on one of the track days at Spa we ran some not very scientific tests as they were different cars, but at least on the same day, the final conclusion seemed to be the standard intercooler is very good but needs loads more air to be efficient and my ProAlloy charge cooler gave the lowest temps even though I was running a smaller pulley than the other cars.
Either use what you have or for the ultimate run a charge cooler, but there didn’t seem to be a huge gain during our test with other make intercoolers.

That seems to be the conclusion I’m inferring from reading (lots) of posts on various forums, thanks Ade.

Airflow is crucial .
Large ducts and large diameter tubes to flow as much air as possible over the ic

Modified a spare IC shroud to fit 4” tubes

Just another update to this, I did Blyton again yesterday (I really need to find some new circuits to explore :laughing: ) and the car was an absolute monster all day.

I could probably best describe my car as being a bit “hot or cold”, I’ve never had any running issues with it - always feels and drives smooth but sometimes I put my foot down and it’s got a real “sting” to the acceleration, makes me feel all good in side (and sometimes a little bit scared). Other times I put my foot down and the speed gathers quickly but it doesn’t feel quite so mental. I’m almost sure it’s all in my head, but yesterday was one of those days where the car just felt lightening all day!

It kept great pace with the 350 V6 cars in attendance (generally they would pull on my for the first few yards out of a traction zone and then I would claw them back a little bit later, on a longer/faster track I know I wouldn’t be able to keep up at 100mph+ ) and there was another 260bhp spec S2 car there who commented on how much quicker my car was, he let me past and just couldn’t keep up with mine on the straights.

He had an aftermarket intercooler but none of the ducting stuff, so assuming his car was otherwise healthy that does give an anecdotal “win” to the ducting vs intercooler change.

Critically my car didn’t seem to suffer at all as the sessions dragged on, and from video review my fastest laps all came after 6 or 7 laps on circuit. It was “only” about 20degrees ambient yesterday so I think as temps approach high 20’s in the peak of British summer that the chargecooler would become exponentially better.

I’m still not ruling out chargecooling this winter, but I have to be honest it’s becoming harder to justify it. I feel like I’d like my car on a dyno just to see how it’s doing, but dyno conditions are probably THE worst conditions to put a heatsoak-vulnerable car under. My alternative to chargecooling could be to explore the 3-11[2-11!] setup to allow for much larger diameter ducting.

3 Eleven doesnt have an intercooler or ducting, do you mean 2Eleven??

:thumbup:

Like this 211 intercooler i am selling…

Yes that would be it!!!

Very rare setup I think, I think there was one guy re-manufacturing the shroud bit on the back to fit onto a standard exige intercooler but to get genuine items are few and far between.

Does anybody know of a good owners-thread covering the installation of a chargecooler? Just out of interest :slight_smile:

I had one installed : Exiges.com - Exiges.com - Lotus exige club

Cheers Andy, read your thread a few times over - maybe once more over lunch today :slight_smile:

I’m seriously considering it now, clam is coming off soon for radiator/tow post/brake lines etc. I’ve had what I would consider real success this year testing the alternative mitigation for IAT on track with the side ducts/heat shielding etc but it’s just given me the taste for more and if I’m going to do it… it would be most efficient to do it whilst the other work is going on!

I’m confident i’ll figure it out once it’s all in front of me, no idea what level of guidance/instruction pro-alloy include on their kit but I was just looking to do some background reading of an installation in detail before pulling the trigger.

I know running hoses down the sill is likely to be awkward, as I’ve got (working) AC. Aside from that it seems fairly straight forward, just need an ignition live for the pump and somewhere to mount it.

Something else I’m a little concerned about is the stock ECU and going chargecooled. When modifying Subaru’s you couldn’t change an indicator bulb without requiring a remap but it seems the 2ZZ world is a little more relaxed on that front. I feel like I’d need to get it on a dyno after completing the work to make sure AFR’s are still in line etc. Pro-Alloy claim 20bhp which I’m quite sure is optimistic, perhaps towards the end of a track session it’s more accurate… but if I did suddenly gain 20bhp then I’m going to be in gearbox danger territory which makes me nervous! (Currently on the Lotus 260 ECU).

Maybe this warrants a dedicated thread… I should really put some effort in and port my readers cars’ thread over from PH.

You’ll be removing clams not clam singular as it needs a pre rad …

Its not too bad a job to be honest. I appreciate that a garage did mine but the chap who did it said it was straightforward enough.

I dont know what your AFR is running with the OEM ECU but mine was waaaaaaaaay lean when I had it checked.

I am not convinced by the increase in BHP either, I think exactly the same as you that it just slows down the loss due to better removal of heat from the vital inlet charge temps.

The Pro-Alloy kit shouldn’t need rear clam off because the heat exchanger bit just swaps place with the OEM intercooler. The only other access I’ll need ‘round back’ is mounting the header tank which seems to go on the easily accessible roll-over bar support and I guess mounting the pump somewhere (unless that goes up front?)

I can see from your install though that it’s lower in the car, and offset towards the sidepod which would need the clam off.

I think I’ll end up on a dyno before the car sees the track in anger next year, just for piece of mind. I know you went to RST, and I know they have a great following but I’ve had a bit of a bad experience there before and I’m still a little nervous about it… Chris has also ‘moved on’ so I guess they’re a little down on Lotus expertise since you had your work done. Annoyingly I can’t think of any other local-ish RR’s, especially none with Lotus/Toyota expertise.