Inlet charge temps

[quote=chrisexigegt][quote=JDS]So what would happen if you were on a track? Appreciate that your car has a load more power and rads, but I don’t think we are quite comparing apples with apples.

Spa is a good 40 seconds of WOT from mid 2nd gear to mid 5th ish, with a girly lift through the bottom of Eau Rouge, then the rest of the lap is pretty full on with 3rd/4th/5th gear corners and minimal braking, and chance for the temperatures to recover.

The only way for a true comparison is for the same car, driver, track, day, conditions to back to back all the options. Preferably without knowing whihc one is fitted at the time of testing. [/quote]

Girly lift - you talkin to me ??? :cry: [/quote]

Shit I was braking and changing back to 4th! What am I then?

I do have a slightly taller 4th than everyone else though having the Jubu gearset…

All the testing I have ever done on the road in mine the charge temps never went more than 10 degrees above ambient, I was shocked by the difference at Spa, I am over the winter going to be changing my set up (if funds allow). I plan on moving the oil cooler rad to the back of the car and using the old oil cooler rads as extra heat exchangers (similar to Frank’s car).

But ask yourself why did Lotus choose A/W, for the added weight ? [/quote]
The Lotus own GT3 charge cooled car didn’t work , it heatsoaked badly and was unreliable , the Lanzante A/A intercooled GT3 was far better and more successful , so yes I do ask why did Lotus used that system .

[/quote]
The Lotus own GT3 charge cooled car didn’t work , it heatsoaked badly and was unreliable , the Lanzante A/A intercooled GT3 was far better and more successful , so yes I do ask why did Lotus used that system . [/quote]

you are not suggesting that Adrian Newey knows anything about designing a race car, are you?

Or that the Red Bull car had an intercooler/duct/windscreen/roof anything like a road car?

Yes but my car and yours are not a GT3 proper race car doing 24 hour Britcar races , it would be over the top for most of us on here . I was talkin like for like about the GT3 cars Frank was on about .

Lotus choose the crap barrel chargecooler and had only one heatexchanger with shity pump flow…
The Red Bull car had the right idea but it had too much plumbing and if not under full boost throttle responce was lacking… Roots blowers don’t like those long runs back and forward… Even if Lotus were runing a cheater MP62 with TVS rotors they were still using a crap system…rules you know suck…

IC/CC thread gone sh1te Cilla! Started well tho…

Debate rocks Jonny !!
come and drive my missile lol …

You mate and JSR (& g pigs)from an outsider looking in ROCK…few others also, sorry tend to lose interest there are a few others but either way same old same old…Even you Jonny must have YAWN moments or TEN? Frank not aimed at you, total respect but not relevant within use and budget mate of what the thread was intended.

Edit to say keep with the facts…

^^ same old same old ?? ^^
In a way Jonny I agree , it can get boring …

Ponder this though ? … in the last 2 weeks we have learned that there is a way to get 300+ without a trip to Essex …
Also that there are cheap and effective alternatives to chargecoolers with the aforementioned 300 …
We all know Frank is way ahead on r+d /output ,so can make up our own mind if what he posts is relevant to our kinda cars …

And I even see one or two fitting the holy grail LSD
Sorry did I just swear on here !!
:wink:

Dude I have stupid thick skin… I just wanna see you guys not waste time and money that’s all…I’ve done so much R$D it’s fuqin dumb…
If anyone wants my input I’ll be on www.Lotussport.org

Cheers

My post wasn’t a dig Frank … just sayin that our cars are in a normal league compared to yours …
From a JFK perspective my mods have to be cost effective cos of my budget .
:wink:

What you’ve done is obviously helping and fueling debate but unless I’ve missed something your car is predominantly for road use. whiteysback got to 330 bhp but he never planned using it on track

I think for short bursts on the road in normal UK temps you have proved that you’re mods work but if you’d been at Spa - abnormal ambient and inlet temps I agree, would you be confident that you could have driven it home ?

I have the same Forge cooler and only running 260 bhp with standard pulley, manifold etc I was shocked by the IAT. Even with your cooling mods I cannot see those bettering a charge cooled car for reducing temps.

Ade’s car which I guess is running less boost than you but with a remap and CC was very much the wrong side of the magic 50 degree retardation mark

Chris … I did offer to meet up and do some intake temp measurement comparisons with ya m8 ?? I have nothing to sell and just wanted to help a fellow exiger being as you asked about my setup at Anglesea …
On reflection though I suggest you buy a chargecooler cos the drive from Telford to Bridgenorth would see your temps dangerously high if what I’ve read is correct and that you are seeing 40 degrees from hotel to track !!
:tired:
I’m outa this thread now cos It’s gotten silly :confused:

John - happy to meet up, I see you’re looking at Donnington on the 24th. Be very interested to see the temp differences.

On my drive to JSR yesterday - Telford to Dudley (missed Bridgnorth) in normal squirt in and out of traffic I saw IAT max of 37. The 40 from the hotel in Spa was on a very humid second day hooning in convoy. As posted on separate thread I never saw anything less than 50 on the Tuesday and a high of 77 while at the track.

I don’t favour the CC route based on weight issues and really what we all need to see is a test of the std, Forge and the Stage 2 MMG A/A coolers.

As I said what you’ve done is great for a car that is predominantly road based. My car is for track use only and before I go down the route you have gone down it would be great to see what benefits you’re modding has yielded before I make any further mechanical changes

By the way - which part of my response turned the thread silly ? :confused:

Sorry Frank didn’t mean to sound rude in anyway to you mate, the extreme stuff you’ve done, you have my respect. Jonny the input is excellent. Be good to keep it simple. I suppose seeing a couple of different cooling options (your and the other fella at the start of the thread) would be really positive. Maybe over the Winter some of you guys can fit these cooling options and meet on track 2012. Exiges.com ahead of the game…I am really starting to find this stuff very interesting but sometimes it goes pear lol

1. JFK Forge
  2. ? MMG (with JFK Setup)
    3 & so on, who’s gonna commit.

No problem dude never took it as rude.
Keep the debate going, how else will guys make a decision unless they see what’s out there and what can be done…
I’ve never set any goals with my car, I should have and saved a fortune in R$D.
Everyone knows I’m not a track day guy since I don’t want to wreck my self at disintegration speed but I do live in So.Cal. and it is a freakin desert and no better place to test an intercooler.
As a matter of fact I did the first hot weather testing of the ProAlloy rad and heatexchanger and that’s why they use puller fans now… :smiley:

But keep the debate going and post facts…No personal insults…

[quote=SeanB]All of the after market intercoolers are loads of dosh and the charge cooler system (which is the best solution in I think everyones opinion) is loads and loads of dosh, so a �100 solution has got to be worth a try.

[/quote]

My ProAlloy Intercooler was VERY reasonable :wink: :slight_smile:

Rentons gonna do some testing next week at your place with the roof off and with the new vents… to see if I can run in hairdresser mode out on track :slight_smile:

I am at Bedford on 20th and 27th as well. Actually… looking at my Diary… I am there monday!

whoops… muffed it! forgot and cant do that. wanna go?

Sending my Kiwi OBD2 reader to 661 to log IAT temps (on track) I could post on road temps on my car but I know that it would be shot down , 661 has a MMG stage two and the RLS side duct system the same as me , I can tell you though that EA said the MMG cooled better and cooled down faster than the Forge on the dyno when my car was in for a remap a few months ago but I don’t have any numbers or data as It wasn’t recorded .
With a bit of luck we should have some more numbers soon either way !
Getting a bit fed up of the C/C A/A threads myself and the same point of views every time with the same old unhelpful shooting down .