Inlet charge temps

We got time to do a bit of testing while at Spa. We had bought our SnapOn test tool with us and went out with it plugged into a couple of cars to see how the inlet charge temps were.

It was very hot here yesterday, I would say the ambient temp was very high 20’s

Firstly my standard 240bhp exige with standard intercooler. On the out lap from the pits we saw mid 70’s and within a couple of laps it was in the 90’s with a peak of 96!!!

Next up a Chris’s 260 cup with a Forge intercooler. That sat at low to mid 70’s with a peak of 78.

Then we did Ade’s car. Now he has the smallest pulley, is spinning the shit out of his charger, so deffo creating the most heat and his charge cooler setup kept the temps in the mid to high 50’s, with a peak of 61.

Actual and factual testing?! on exiges.com?! surely not!

Good work guys, that’s really interesting to see. :smiley:
I know the answer is always the lower the better, but what figure are you chasing for an inlet temp? I know even on my K, when it’s on the rollers if the inlet get’s near 40-45 degC from the heatsoak it’s a total waste of time as power drops away exponentially.

Wow is that 96c ? I’m also really shocked a charge cooler got as high as 60+

That’s great work. About time!
I really must try and hook up my MMG sometime.

Blimey Sean, never knew yours went that high…
It was certainly exciting having John in the passenger side, how he wasn’t sick looking down taking readings I’ll never know :astonished:

+1 good to see some proper comparable testing numbers , shame all the options wasn’t there .

1 Like

[quote=ade]Blimey Sean, never knew yours went that high…
It was certainly exciting having John in the passenger side, how he wasn’t sick looking down taking readings I’ll never know :astonished: [/quote]

It wasn’t too bad, except for bracing for what I thought was a left hand hand corner, only for you to turn right. Made me look up pretty quick!!

1 Like

Now that’s why I’ve got huge side air ducts on mine…can’t have too much cooling.
Have got mine up to 52 degree C on the road …
Never tested it without the 2 mahoosive side ducts tho …(nearly 50% more volume than even the RLS setup)
Such a shame the expensive MMG wasn’t available as Liam speaks Soooo highly of it.
He even reckons it outperforms a chargecooler! A brave claim I know .
Soon will be testing further options ie water spray and maybe the expensive MMG core too …

Ps Ade,s was always gonna be the coolest cos he drives the slowest :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I suspect JF,s would be frozen … if he had one :wink:

If we could get all of the coolers in one lace at the same time, I wouldnt mind doing some back to back testing at a track day.

Yeah all temps are in degrees C.

1 Like

I was really struggling on track with temperature in the afternoon of Tuesday, ambient air temperature was apparently 29, my car was hitting 100 water temp after 4 or so hot laps. With so long on full thrttle down the straights there is a lot of heat to get rid of, I only have an early single pass Proalloy rad, maybe something new to sort over the winter…

You guys gotta do better than that… I get no more than 10*f above ambient at 30 psi.

Yea but you only go to Walmart and back !!
:wink:

Yeah Walmart in Canada… :smiley:

I was really struggling on track with temperature in the afternoon of Tuesday, ambient air temperature was apparently 29, my car was hitting 100 water temp after 4 or so hot laps. With so long on full thrttle down the straights there is a lot of heat to get rid of, I only have an early single pass Proalloy rad, maybe something new to sort over the winter… [/quote]
Do you think it’s because your pre cooler is restricting the airflow to your engine rad , I have heard this before with the CC system.

I don’t think so, Sean’s 240 car was hitting best part of 100 degrees as well, I think a lot of this could be the heat been taken from the gearbox and put into the coolant as well, I’m not sure what others were seeing on their temperature gauges during the hottest part of the day, I’ve only seen temperatures this high at Spa on really hot days. Don’t forget you are on full throttle the entire length of 2 very long straights.
If you consider the run from La Source to the end of Kemmel,
2nd gear to 5th on the run down the hill up to 125ish, brake and change to 4th, constant throttle till half way up the hill then full throttle from there till the end of the straight at 130ish for braking, not sure how long that is for but it’s a long time…

You would think at that speed you would have some major airflow though , sounds like a triple pass rad and more air into the engine bay would be the answer .
The standard car with 96C inlet temps must have lost a ton of HP and I imagine it wasn’t good for the car .

[quote=moomin]You would think at that speed you would have some major airflow though , sounds like a triple pass rad and more air into the engine bay would be the answer .
The standard car with 96C inlet temps must have lost a ton of HP and I imagine it wasn’t good for the car . [/quote]

Didn’t stop Sean ragging the ass off it though :smiley:

My Spa thoughts to come…watch this space

Ade, what pulley size do you run now?

When you consider that the standard car only runs 6psi its pitiful …
What were lotus playing at ???
And people wonder why we mod ?
Well there you are , wonder no more :wink: