Inlet charge temps

2.9" pulley for me

Shonk, at what temps does the Lotus ECU start pulling ignition out and how much at each breakpoint? Any ideas?

I would imagine a lot of ignition is lost at 96 degrees with quite a bit of power loss.

Also, you sure you had your tester set correct as those temps do sound too high?

60 degrees as far as I know

EA say it starts pulling back at 45C, I was told by Lotus that the point is 50C .

Readings were taken direct from the ECU via an OBD reader, from the air temp sensor in the chargecooler outlet.

Power drop off was noticable at Zandvoort after a couple of laps, short straight went from being couple of seconds of 4th gear, to being just at the limiter in 3rd. Didnt take long

There may well be a UK made intercooler shroud available soon with auxiliary air inlets to help coolingā€¦
Looooong overdue !
:wink:

All my readings were live via my AIM dash

On the Tuesday I never saw anything below 50 after the first run. It was over 40 on the run from the hotel !!!

Mine were fine :smiley:

Readings were taken direct from the ECU via an OBD reader, from the air temp sensor in the chargecooler outlet.

Power drop off was noticable at Zandvoort after a couple of laps, short straight went from being couple of seconds of 4th gear, to being just at the limiter in 3rd. Didnt take long [/quote]

Christ, sounds like you boys need a solution to this problem!

Polly x ā€¦
Very easy solution ā€¦ very cheap solution ā€¦
More air !
Been out today and mostly read 23 degrees ā€¦
A good Sprint could get 30 degrees ā€¦
A long uphill full throttle for 25 seconds only saw 40 degrees ā€¦

And Iā€™m running more boost than any other s2 that I know of .
I think Moomin will agree with my readings as his are similar .

Ps ā€¦ folk will spend 1000,s on shiny bling but not ĆÆĀæĀ½100 on grey hose that will release all that reigned in power ??

[quote=jfk]Polly x ā€¦
Very easy solution ā€¦ very cheap solution .

Ps ā€¦ folk will spend 1000,s on shiny bling but not ĆÆĀæĀ½100 on grey hose that will release all that reigned in power ?? [/quote]

Forgive my ignorance, but what and where does this ĆÆĀæĀ½100 grey hose do and go?

[quote=jfk]Polly x ā€¦
More air !

[/quote]

On the road I have never seen temp like we saw at Spa, but the conditions are nothing like the road either, you just canā€™t replicate what we see there on the road, the setup you have is ok for the road but will struggle at Spa or Silverstoneā€¦

[quote=jfk]Polly x ā€¦
More air !

And Iā€™m running more boost than any other s2 that I know of .
I think Moomin will agree with my readings as his are similar .

Ps ā€¦ folk will spend 1000,s on shiny bling but not ĆÆĀæĀ½100 on grey hose that will release all that reigned in power ?? [/quote]

Is the standard air feed from the roof that bad then? I thought it was already ducted onto the core of the cooler? Awesome if you have found such an easy solution with a bit of extra ducting that works though!

In fairness you canā€™t really judge if it would struggle or not without it being tested at spa under the same conditions.
IMHO it looks like you all struggled, clearly the uprated forge IC made a big difference over the shitty standard unit but is obviously hampered by lack of air flow just like the OEM one.
Would the added air get temps as low as the CC? possibly not but I bet they would make a big difference to the outcome on both units.

Boothy

http://www.exiges.com/ubbz/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=152785

Ade posted ā€¦
you just canā€™t replicate what we see there on the road, the setup you have is ok for the road but will struggle at Spa or Silverstoneā€¦

Fair point m8 , but 40 degrees from hotel to track ???
I have to seriously cane it to get anywhere that temp ā€¦

Just trying to help fellow owners with the benefit of my findings ā€¦
If anyone wants me to shut the fook up thatā€™s cool !
Peace all x
:wink:

John I understand that, but i am also just trying to keep the whole thing in perspective as well, I have just checked on the video and the section from la source down the kemmel to the chicane is 40 seconds of full throttle (thanks Chris) this takes you from 40mph to 120 via a downhill and a very steep uphill then along a straight section all flat (sorry Boothy). you do this lap after lap and the temps go sky high.

Iā€™m struggling to see how this thread isnā€™t helpful :confused: You all need more airflow to your gay intercoolers :wink: So why havenā€™t more of you tried itā€¦

I think weā€™ve managed to establish the following as part of the Spa test

STD I/C = 96 with 240 bhp
Forge I/C = 77 with 260 bhp
Charge cooler = 62 with 300 bhp

I think it safe to assume that JFKā€™s car would end up somewhere between mine and Adeā€™s - so better than a Forge without the extra ducting but not as low as CC

The big questions are -

1. how often (other than once a year) would we see these inlet temps ?
  2. what is the cost per degree of reduction and is it worth it based on question 1
  3. more importantly is there any potential risk of permanent damage running cars so far and so long beyond the magic 50 degree retardation setting

Discussā€¦ And play nice :smiley:

There is also the extra weight of the C/C system to take into account + once a C/C gets to 60C+ it takes a lot longer to lose the heat compared to an A/A intercooler + how much the C/C system restricts the boost flow .