Inlet charge temps

Of course! I had the wing setup not the over the top one! It might be tight still I think fella to work on!

I knew Chris had moved on as well, but one of the other mechanics ( Specky ) is more than upto the job.

Talk to me offline regarding RST. I would be interested to hear your views.

Yup itā€™ll still be tight I imagineā€¦ but Iā€™m getting used to that. Plus I have a pair of newborn hands I can draft in now to help out :smiley:

Iā€™ve dropped you a PM, as Iā€™m sure youā€™ll read I think I need to just get back to RST and get over the past. Theyā€™re a very good local resource to have, and by avoiding them Iā€™m limiting my options big time.

Charge cooler does not require a remap, my car had back to back tests for the first proalloy charge cooler, the gained some torque and a little bhp but not enough to trouble the gearbox, what you do gain however is consistent charge temps therefore sustained performance all the way through a session.
I would fit 2 pumps to the setup though as one did struggle. I think they now use a bigger single pump than I had though.

Cheers Ade, thatā€™s good info. I had read about the early pumps being a bit naff - I understand theyā€™re using a bosch unit now but I donā€™t know the details. I assume itā€™s a fairly common part that can be picked up if I feel like another should be added.

Did you fit one pump up front and one in the engine bay?

The back to back tests are good to know, I imagine a standard dyno setup lends itself quite well to proving the capability of a chargecooler - as the standard A2A intercooler just canā€™t get any airflow from a static position (and even on the road it struggles as this thread testifies!). Iā€™m not hunting for BHP here, but after spending some time logging this summer and seeing just how influential ambient temps can be on the OEM setup, Iā€™m sort of hooked now on finding the optimal solution!

I used a pull pump and a push pump either side of the charge cooler in the engine bay, mine was using bosch pumps albeit a smaller version than some Iā€™ve seen. This I think gave me the best of both worlds, performance and some resilience.

Thanks again ade. It does seem like Pro-Alloy are constantly tweaking the kit so it has evolved over time. Iā€™ve read a few reports about leaking heat exchangers too so hopefully theyā€™re on top of that!

This is the pump mine used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-pump-electric-for-water-Charge-air-cooler/323947790562?hash=item4b6ccb00e2:g:bHwAAOSwAPpds3Nm
I think it is identical to what proalloy still supply https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCLEXIGESKIT-Pro-Alloy-Lotus-Exige-S-Charge-Cooler-System-Complete/283341100294?hash=item41f8721506:g:DHEAAOSw6S9cPzZ9
The claim of 20hp was gains in mid range rather than specifically peak HP, but the difference was clear when I got the car back, I always felt it gained a lot in midrange torque and would also give you a consistent 20hp gain rather than what was more likely a 20hp loss from the engine pulling timing due to increased inlet air temps which always made the engine feel flat when it was heat soaked.

Yep that looks about right. I guess for the cost itā€™s really worth sticking an extra pump in there, as you say for redundancy as much as anything.

The second pump certainly increased the flow rate in the system, I have no test results showing any real world improvements, but flow rate in charge coolers are important and the length of pipework and capacity of the system suggests that 2 or a bigger pump are really required.

Redundancy is the only reason I would consider it. I did some research and I concluded that flowing more water will not always yield better cooling rates. Obviously if your flowing 1l/min its not going to be optimalā€¦

This pump is still supplied ( well as of mid last year )

Cheers Andy.