Exige S2 Ordered?

At the end of the day the choice is yours .

the classic shaped serious one err I mean series 1 Exige .

Or the series 2 Lotus Elise coupe

don’t want to get into the s1 vs s2 thing, theres enough of that on the elise forums, but apart from styling and the better engine in the s2 whats the big difference between the s1/s2 to make it an exige or an elise coupe? exige hase always been an elise with performance parts or am i wrong, was the s1 a start from scratch race born car that just happened to look like an elise?

The difference is weight and comfort.

Most people here can’t digest the fact that even though the end product is good, Lotus allowed the new Exige to get lardy and to offer some kind of comfort that we so kindly ignore and consider superfluous.

But it’s a cracking car, as I sad before, if I was new into the scene I would probably go for the S2 Coupe, erm Exige
Besides, it’s just natural fo you, it seems you came from an S2, so you obviously like the shape, and the new Exige is much better, so a no brainer.

The K series engine in VHPD guise is stonkin’IMHO. The S2 Exige is a top car but after testing one at Donington (thanks Lotus ) I was pleased to get back in the original and best. You can feel the weight difference and it didn’t seem as fast (but that could have been the lack of noise ).

Having said that welcome to all you new owners

apart from styling and the better engine in the s2 whats the big difference between the s1/s2

Downforce.

The S1 Exige was a road going version of the S1 RACE car.
The S2 is a stylised version of the S2 ROAD car.
Big difference in concept and execution.

dont get me wrong, its not that i think the s2 is better than the s1, i havant driven an s1 so i cannot comment on the comparison, and it sounds like you no what your talking about, but im still not convinced that the s1 is a differnt car to the s1 road car"apart from the same parts that have been changed on the s2" as for the s1 being a race spec car for the road,so is the elise sport 190!

I think if you put a serious 1 Exige next to a series 1 Elise you would see a bit more difference than a few parts .

Were as the S2 ( especially in dark colours ) look very similar , which is why some of us think it should have been named an Elise Coupe .

dont get me wrong, its not that i think the s2 is better than the s1, i havant driven an s1 so i cannot comment on the comparison, and it sounds like you no what your talking about, but im still not convinced that the s1 is a differnt car to the s1 road car"apart from the same parts that have been changed on the s2" as for the s1 being a race spec car for the road,so is the elise sport 190!

moomin
the s1 exige is quite close to the sport 190 that you mention – however, both are very different to a standard S1 elise. OTOH… the S2 exige is quite close to the 111R which is like comparing the S1 exige with the 111S… and that me old fruit… is where the debate lies… … an S1 exige is streets ahead of a 111S in everything… looks, power, ptw, downforce, suspension, presence, blah, blah.

However, 111R is actually very very closely related to S2 exige… or should i be nasty and say ‘coupe’…

Weren’t the sport 190’s made to order and then had to be SVA’d seperatly as weren’t made road legal IYSWIM… Same as the S2 Sport 190, only made if you asked for one to be made…

Mark

S1 Exiges were also individually SVA’d.

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this web forum as i should be picking up my new S2 Exige in the next couple of weeks.

I’ve ordered a yellow S2 Exige with performance pack back in march, after a few delays i should be picking it up in a couple of weeks.

I have read many of the posts with interest about the S2 being an elise Coupe. Personally i prefer the styling of the S2 and having driven the S2 I am more than happy with the performance and hadling.

I will only be using the car at the weekend and hopefully trackdays. (if only the weekend was 5 days long and the week was 2!!)

Once i’ve got the car it’ll be great to meet up with other exige owners in the midlands (derby).

I’ve grown up in my dad’s lotus’s (Elan +2 130/5, Eclat and Excel. So can’t wait to pick up my own.

Speak to you all soon

Chris Haseldine

is the power to weight greater on the s1 exige to the s1 111s and if so how was this achieved’extra power or less weight,if its less weight then how,if extra power then how much, and whats the ptw on the exige s1 compared to the s2 exige?

Hi to all Exige owners, a few of you no me from VX/VXT days, I will pick up My S2 Exige on friday and have it KH on Sat for the SIDC day so look forward to seeing you all that are going. Buy the way I was told that the S2 Exige only shares the door panels with the S2 so they are quite different indeed. So why did I buy an S2 Exige ruther than new VXR,Two reasons. 1 you can take the roof (on no I here you cry) I like the sun. 2 I think the car will still handel better than the VXR on the Track.

All the Best

Welcome Chris ! - Great to have you here

Now book into Donnington ASAP ( as soon as your run in )

moomin

ptw of std (177bhp) exige is something like 227bhp/tonne, for the 190 that goes up to around 243/tonne if i’ve got me sums right… IDG will be along to agree or correct anytime soon.

Don’t know about 111S… but S1 exige is better on account of having about 20 or 30 more ponies unless 111S is significantly lighter which i can’t imagine it will be.

OTOH… S2 exige is 217ish/tonne with NO options but 207bhp/tonne with all the toyz… so it gives away a bit. However, that’s nothing like the full story and the S2 has less drag and delivers its power quite differently but it also has a wee bit less downforce so we are all waiting to see what that all pans out as at the track…

I’ve ordered a yellow S2 Exige with performance pack…

Hi Chris, welcome!

Hurrah, somebody’s order a proper one with the non-girlie serious pack on it! Good on’yer! I think a bold colour is what the S2 needs and yellow should just about cover it!

Done anything with the exhaust yet?!

Ian

for the 190 that goes up to around 243/tonne if i’ve got me sums right… IDG will be along to agree or correct anytime soon.

Spot on Rox, I can’t fault yer!

I don’t think there’s ever going to be much in it on lap times between a S1 and S2 Exige. I just know I’d prefer to go round the bends quicker and I think the S1 is going to have it on that front (due to weight and downforce).

Which ever you think is best, I think you’d probably agree the other comes 2nd to anything else.

Ian

Hi new Exige owners!
Chris, You swine :; You’ve ordered my car
That’s exactly the spec I’m thinking of.
I’d love to meet up with you when you get it. I haven’t seen a yellow one yet, and I’ve yet to see one with the performance pack.

Hello Chris, firstly a hello and welcome is required, secondly let me know when you get your S2 Exige, I’m only in Burton and working in Derby so not far at all, would be good to see the S1 and S2 next to each other in the flesh

Hi to all Exige owners, a few of you no me from VX/VXT days, I will pick up My S2 Exige on friday and have it KH on Sat for the SIDC day so look forward to seeing you all that are going. Buy the way I was told that the S2 Exige only shares the door panels with the S2 so they are quite different indeed. So why did I buy an S2 Exige ruther than new VXR,Two reasons. 1 you can take the roof (on no I here you cry) I like the sun. 2 I think the car will still handel better than the VXR on the Track.

All the Best

Hi Kirk! (everybody seems to have welcomed Cris already )
It’s good to see you subscribed to the infamous Exiges.com
Looking forward to hear all about driving impressions in the new beast