Exige S2 Ordered?

I’m curious to find out how many of you who have tested the car have ordered one, or expect to?

After the test drive I felt very good about the car, but mainly for all the wrong reasons.

I would be buying it as a car to use solely on the track, whereas my S1 Exige was a car I used on both road and track.

My main thoughts coming away from the test drive were about how much nicer the S2 would be to drive about on the road in normal driving and while at some points I was writing a cheque in my mind already I sat back and realised that this would not be what I was buying an Exige for, and as such I don’t think I will be ordering one.

I think I will probably turn my eye back to another S1 Exige and maybe have a look at an Ariel Atom (Well, a test drive anyway ).

Don’t get me wrong, the S2 is not a bad car at all, I think it does a fairly good job of being an accomplished road car that will be alot of fun on the track, but it’s not the same as the S1 in terms of raw “racer” appeal. It’s got a good demist though!

But for me a track day car is the order of the day, so compromise seems pointless.

Jon.

Same thoughts myself. The build quality of the S2 Exige is absolutly superb, the Toyota motor also. But my overall impression is that its a great road car… If that were my priority I’d shop my lil’ monster in tomorrow… but it didn’t have that wow factor, that incredible feelin’, that me new ali babe has every time I enter …

Track only car?
I’d get a Radical SR4

Hmmm, bit too expensive though…

I’m curious to find out how many of you who have tested the car have ordered one, or expect to?

and the wooden spoon prize goes to…

“It’s got a good demist though!”

Well that should please the more amorous Exige owner up leafy country lanes then

Lest we forget that not only does the rear wing (Which is just plain disappointing in it’s smallness!) mount from the engine cover so does not get in the way of engine access, but S2 owners are also given the joy of not having to hold the engine cover open with their head!

…having to hold the engine cover open with their head!

I thought that’s what wifes were for?!

ian

Surely you don’t want to have to engage in involving converse with your wife whilst enjoying “quality time” with your Exige!?

The conversation usually goes - “WHAT D’YOU MEAN YOUR ARMS ARE GETTING TIRED!?!!”

I think it’s the only time she was glad to be superceded by a 3p bamboo pole. Bless her!

Ian

I think it’s the only time she was glad to be superceded by a 3p bamboo pole. Bless her!

You’re safe with Posh Becks then

I’ve just heard an S2 with a sports exhaust fitted. FAR too quiet. I hate to think how quiet the standard system must be. At least the sports jobbie looks a little bit better than the standard one.

“I’ve just heard an S2 with a sports exhaust fitted. FAR too quiet.”

Of course this is going to be the way with pretty well any new car from now on, now that the world has been taken over by people who like nothing more than to spoil everyone’s enjoyment in actually being alive, preferring instead that we’re all totally PC and paying a fortune in stealth taxes.

Can you imagine the furore from the do gooders if someone had invented a national icon like the Royal Scotsman last week? Far too much smoke and noise!!!

My signature refers.

Still on the plus side this does indicate that our dirty, mean and nasty S1’s are never likely to drop far in value! [color:“blue”] [/color]

Oh and another thing.

We don’t yet seem to have acquired the names of any would be/actual S2 purchasers do we?

In fairness, a lot of the demo cars have been late in getting to the dealers.

Just bringing this one to the top of the list again.

Any takers yet?

Are all the demo cars at the dealers yet?

Not my cup of tea, I saw one at Bell & Colvill the other day (yellow) and though the sales man raved about it he admitted its not quite the raw beast the S1 is - admitting even the roof could come off. To me the raw throatiness and styling is the S1’s attraction.

If youre looking for a more refined version which is still a good handling car with more tolerance for every day driving then id say this may fit the bill.

M

Had a test drive in a yellow one from Murray Motors in Edinburgh.I felt like I was driving an elise s2, and it didn’t seem quick at all until 6500rpm but up till then it was smooth but not a patch on the S1. It was also very rattley just behind my head but the salesman said there was a loose bolt back there that needed tightening. I also kept hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd very easily probably cause I couldn’t hear the engine.

the salesman said there was a loose bolt back there that needed tightening.

First rule of car sales - think on your feet!

I’m almost embarrassed to say this, but…
I’m actually starting to want one. The more I think about the handling, the more impressed I am. Driving the car around Donington was just like driving a kart. It always did exactly what I’d expect it to, it gave me a huge amount of confidence. Even when the back end stepped out a couple of times through craner curves, I was never at all worried about it. I’m sure I’d have cacked myself if it was my car.
I’m convinced it would make a better track car for somebody at my skill level. And as a road car, the higher top speed will make it much better for overtaking.
OK it seems a bit less hardcore, and the styling doesn’t suit everybody, but at the end of the day what really matters is how it makes you feel when you take it by the scruff of the neck and start to really drive it.
Imagine an S2 Exige with a bigger wing on the back, an extended roof intake (similar to the ones you see on some of the S1 racers), a properly loud exhaust, braided brake lines, a few of the engine tweaks which will inevitably come along soon…
I think that lot would make for a very desirable car for everyday road, and occasional track use.