Bosch Motorsport M4 ABS

cheers :slight_smile:

ouch indeed!
sequential is awesome!! (as you know :wink:) only problem is there is very little room between wheel & stalks for paddles! thinking of dash mounting indicators and wiper.

You can see why when calibrated it would make a big difference. We have one pedal and eothout abs if you’re some kind of god you may at best adjust f/r bias every corner. This controls every wheel indepedently every time you hit the brakes to attempt to give the absolute maximum stopping power.

You can also see why in mod comparison terms its all upside. If you instead added power to find the equivalent time you’d have all kinds of secondary impacts in terms of heat/fuel-economy/reliability/etc.

completely agree, we’ve looked at the provsiosnal circuits for next year and some tracks we know we will struggle to compete against 4WD power and others hopefully we can but ultimately season reliability is our goal.

don’t get me wrong though, we’ll be on race fuel and have a few tricks up our sleeve :wink:

Didn’t realise we spoke on the phone!!! I’ve spoken to so may people since doing Time Attack that I loose track of who everyone is. When did we speak out of interest so I can work out what we spoke about?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some updates.

thought i was bad!
S1 v S2 weight, honda v audi (was looking at audi conversion at the time) should contact Rex to see if he was selling etc?? oh and that i could have a sump FOC :mrgreen:

Ah, I remember. What threw me, is the fact that you’ve gone Honda as I thought you had bought that Audi car you mentioned when we spoke.

And regarding the dry sump…bollocks to that!!! I’m having to pay for mine ffs!!! I’ll keep you in the loop though:)

Cheers Jamie

edited, sorry :slight_smile:

Edited, sorry :slight_smile:

Looking good :sunglasses:

Are those 240R rims? Are you running GT Hubs?

No idea! the car seems standard to elise motorsport spec but i will post up some photos and hopefully someone can answer?
there are a tonne of things i could do with getting some info such as the Dynamics Suspension (DSSV) coilovers, anyone got an opinion on them?

cheers

A friend of mine works for Bosch in Germany and I asked about the ABS system a few years ago as he can get good discounts …
Well firstly no staff discount on Motorsport product and secondly it seemed that purchasing it and installing (correctly) would eventually have cost north of 10K and finally configuring the system so that it actually worked would require someone with good knowledge and a quite some track time to get it right - so even if I could have got a discount he advised me to “forget the idea”
Yeah, I can imagine its the nuts for ultimate braking performance and would improve lap times but the investment in money and time didn’t add up for a “hobby”’ car.
Now I would just go and buy a V6 IPS … you get all the toys thrown in and just push two pedals as hard as they will go to the floor … probably some steering needed for the bends though I guess …
Actually now I have installed JSR’s bias pedal box the braking performance is simply amazing, the feel is there, the pedal is rock solid and of course the balance is perfect - That combined with PF pads, decent rotors and 4/2 pots I don’t think it gets any better, everyone who experiences that setup is impressed.

Completely agree on the cost, we’ve been asking a few porsche guys we know to keep a look out for a second hand system and that’s probably our best route, the mapper has fitted a few if we’re lucky enough to find one.
Not too sure about buying another car!! we’re all enjoying putting this back to its best, no doubt a lot more hours over the winter but i think it will be worth it!
Are you using PF01 pads? i put in RS14’s, they’ve never been anything but brilliant in the past but i’m coming from a different platform, would be good to hear your opinion if you’ve tried both?

cheers

Brakes always seem to be surprisingly subjective.

My own personal experience is that RS14 suffer with pad transfer. RS42 seem to always be well-rated but never tried them myself. SOme people tried Carbon Lorraine but they had delamination issues. The PF01 work really well but they create a lot of dust and when its wet that dust forms a kind of lava that bonds to the wheel - worth it though in my view for brakes that work,…and they do really work - lots of rapido cars with my config.

Below is the list I pulled from a thread we had earlier in the year.

Pete757 Pagid RS 42’s
Benja PF01’s (AP rotors) F=4pot&304mm R=2pot&282mm + MS Master Cylinder
Ade PF01’s (AP rotors) F=4pot&315mm R=2pot&308mm
Pesky PF01’s (AP rotors)
JohnD Pagid RS42’s (AP Rotors)
Winthattt RS42’s on both S1 and S2, EP Bells on S1, Std Exige disks on S2
AndyD - PF01, Alcon 308 Front, 4 pot PF01 Alcon 295 rear 2 pot and JSR bias pedal box
AndyD - PF01 Alcon 304 Front, 4 pot PF01 AP 295 rear 2 pot and MS MC
Evora S OEM front and rear
Muu - PF01 all round on 295 front and 290 rear AP rotors + plans
SeanB - PF01 all round - AP Rotors
Jamwill79 - Pagid RS42’s front, RS14’s rear. AP 304 discs and 4 pots front & back
Capo_S1 : Pagid RS42 with Eliseparts grooved discs. Stock calipers
pearman00 - Pagid RS14’s with Eliseparts rotors all round
Damon - Track work PF01’s front and rear on OEM rotors + refurbed wheels!
Damon - Road Mintex pads all round on OEM rotors
Jonnyfox - PF01 all round, AP front/OEM rears worlds fastest NA
stevegreen - Pagid RS14’s with Eliseparts rotors all round
Chris - Pagid RS14’s with AP rotors all round

Thanks, as you say its very subjective, it’s hard to take a pad out once its stood your car on its nose and that’s what the pagids have done but will give the PF’s a go and compare.
Appreciate you answering, i’m trying to get up to speed on everything as fast as possible but always more helpful to hear from others!

cheers

Yes PF01 … I have used RS14 - they were pretty damn good and then something changed in the compound ( well it seemed like it ) and they were horrible, pick up was terrible and they lost feel after half way worn. Tried the RC6 and same sort of thing, first set were good but later ones were … well in pieces after a short time - JSR turned me onto PF97 which I think were perfect for the standard Exige 2 Pot and Brembo rear and finally PF01 for the 4 pot/2 pot setup.

But get a Bias pedal box :slight_smile:

They’re pretty good, but slightly older tech now. If you ever need to send them back for repair, you may need to take a really deep breath when you open the estimate to repair them.

Where are you based? Know a number of the ex Autobytel cars intimately.

As for the Bosch ABS system, that’s pretty much the number we were told as well. Fine if you are building 300 Porsche Cup cars. Not so much as a one off.

Hear you regarding the pedal,box last car had one! Had a look for JSR pedal box found a couple of pics, JSR themselves seem an impressive place too!
Thanks for the input on the pads, really helpful :slight_smile:

We’re going to get someone with more specific lotus knowledge to help out with suspension and geometry settings and hopefully they can asses the dampers at the same time.

PM coming your way on location etc :slight_smile:

Anyone recognise the hub uprights?..

Wishbones will be checked, bushes replaced & fresh seal kit for callipers.

CV boots to be refreshed, they look like uprated shafts that came with the quaife…

All needs a bit of TLC and a good clean!
Has 1" front ARB and adjustable rear (which we’ll will try with & without)