Air intake Sorted!

yehh yehh… ROLFLMAO…

… it must be the engineer in me…

Is that Phil MacCrackin?

or his cousin Phil McCavity ???

I’m not entirely happy with what I’ve done. Wouldn’t mind getting the proper part and cutting out the vents at the back of the car. Although getting it as neat as Uldis will be tricky.

Easy to solve:

-order the part and wait about 4 weeks

-open the back of the car, start with the two fake exhaust vents, they’re easier and will give you an idea of what you’re up to for the number plate one.

you guys do macrackin…

Does anyone have the part numbers of the motorsport trunking and adaptor parts as this is the next thing I want to do to mine.

I’ve had some work done on it recently and I’ve had the standard air filter removed and the ITG kit fitted. I was not impressed by the amount of stuff that had got through the original single filter, the airbox was full of crap.
[image]http://www.powertrainprojects.co.uk/images/exigefilter1.jpg[/image]

Mark

Have you still got the breather attached to the airbox from the head? I bet yes… in which case its not the airfilter that’s to blame… all that shite is from the breather - i ain’t too happy about this with mine either…

BTW - can you post up the gen about the ITG kit please? ie where dya get it and how much? also what parts do you need to use?

thanks in anticipation

Mark,I think the parts and numbers you need are common to the Elise sport 190.If this is the case,then the intake hose is A111E0022K the jubilee clips are A111W6638F and the adaptor is A111E0023K.Hope this helps…

Roxteddy,I had the ITG filter installed in my car.I bought it mail order from PTP in Hinckley,(fast,professional service).It was �153 (inc. vat and postage).

I sorted the breather with a Mocal catch tank and some left over tubing and blocked off the hole in the airbox - also got rid of the breather “rail” and blocked the intake manifold holes up - This has stopped all excess oil getting in the air box - well worth it ( also got rid of the charcoal canister and all that crap ( saves a few grammes )

The intake tube can be got from Demon Theives but its a bit pricy ( really )

Andy

removing the breather ‘rail’ is one of the things i have threatened myself with doing for almost as long as i’ve had the car the main thing stopping me was uncertainty of the impact… – other than the environment is there any disadvantage to ditching all those unmetered air connections ? I am certain I asked you lot about this last year but no-one was sure - or had done it… when did you do this?

Also, why ditch the charcoal canister? ain’t that for fuel filler pipe fumes recirculation ?

I used a piece of half-inch thick foam about 6" wide which I glued to form a tube and used self- tapping screws to secure it to the main pipe.Ive also fitted the Lotus catch tank for the breather which makes everything much less oily and is supposed to reduce the chance of crankshaft oilseals blowing.Ive just sorted out a vent into the car from the roof vent which I hope will bring temperatures down inside this summer.

Roxteddy,

I’ll have a look at the breather, but the original filter was a mess and dirty both inside and out.

I had the ITG fitted by PTP while they were reshimming the tappets and replacing the Exhaust valves (Exhaust valve change was unplanned ).

ITG are about 1.5 miles from here so I could have just bought direct I suppose. I was told by PTP it fitted straight on (they didn’t charge for fitting as they already had the car apart). It is basically what is in the picture (filter and backplate). Apparantly originally designed by ITG for Lotus but Lotus deceided to stick with the witches hat type filters, so ITG selling as an aftermarket kit now.

Mark

I guess that sausage filter fits inside the air box ? - in which case its not a bad plan.

Rox

I ditched the whole environment stuff for the very reasons mentioned here - oil in the throttle bodies which “gums” up the linkages and lowers the octane a little and the fact I prefer to have the engine breath easier to ovoid crankcase pressure ( often overlooked ).

The fuel tank is now vented to the atmosphere through the original roll over valve ( and yes this is all MOT failure stuff - but who checks )

It took me about an hour or two to bolt on the catch tank and remove the other stuff, a bit of silicone piping, a grommet and its done. ( its all mentioned in the motorsport section of the manual)

See pictures here - scroll to the bottom of the gallery

Nice !!

Andy,

Correct it does. It comes with a new backplate to replace the one already there for mounting the airbox.

Mark

By any possible chance does it only have two screws at the top ? - The bottom two as standard are a complete PINA

Rox

The fuel tank is now vented to the atmosphere through the original roll over valve ( and yes this is all MOT failure stuff - but who checks )

It took me about an hour or two to bolt on the catch tank and remove the other stuff, a bit of silicone piping, a grommet and its done. ( its all mentioned in the motorsport section of the manual)

See pictures > here > - scroll to the bottom of the gallery

Andy
I’m definately going to do this but can you tell me a few things

1.What did you use to block-off the inlet tracts after you removed the breather rail? Can you post any pics?

2.What’s the advantage of removing the charcoal canister? I can only think of saving some grammes, but otherwise i don’t understand an advantage.

1. Where’d you get the catch-tank?

Mark
Do you know how much you paid for the ITG filter kit? and… Do you still have one of the Piper cone filters connected to the ductwork?

thanks guys in anticipation

Andyd,

It has all 5 bolts still, just went to see how it was fitted. Also noticed I still have the breather going into the airbox. Think I’ll get a small K&N filter for the breather.

Rox,

I only had one of the Piper cones left anyway and that is now in a cardboard box in the garage.

The Kit is �120+VAT. Bizarrely it doesn’t appear on ITG’s website, but it is on the PTP one.

Been looking at the Motorsport section of the Workshop manual so looks like I’ve got a few litle things to do.

Rox

1. I’ve uploaded another picture of my patented bodge with some stst cap screws and silicon pipe

2. Er … er … well there is a pipe back from the canister to the breather rail - basically I think the canister purges the crap back into the breather system. So I removed all of that and just vented the tank to atmosphere - like they did in the old days - so no you dont have to remove it but have to allow it to purge back somewhere … maybe to atmosphere … so I figured just get rid of it into the loft …

3. From my favourite mail order theives in Wrexham although any tank with a min capacity of 1 litre and two inlets will do. As a matter of interest the Mocal one came with two inlets 1/2 inch , one I needed to change to 10mm to suit the smaller breather and a Red top fuel pump union did the trick

Mark

Damn but I still like that filter arrangement