Air intake Sorted!

I know this has been mentioned before, regarding the flexible air intake pipe which runs from the airbox to the n/s area of the engine bay. Got me thinking that it should be attached to the side vent on the n/s (as the alternator flexible cooling pipe is attached on the o/s)-So, tried to connect it, only problem is it’s too short, by approx 150mm (6"). Removed the connection to the airbox, saw the pipercross filter, removed it, stuck it in the washing machine at 40 degrees (don’t forget the fabric conditioner) and gave it a good wash. Re-oiled it when dry and re-fitted it. Next got a 150mm dia. x 200mm length of twin walled aluminium flue liner (next door neighbour’s a gas fitter!)and connected it to the other end (nearest the n/s air intake). Now it’s connected instead of breathing all the hot air from the engine bay.I recall someone mentioning about bits of tarmac etc flying into the air intake and being worried about engine damage. Having seen the pipercross air filter I don’t think anything except air will be getting past it. Besides, it’s a 5 minute job to remove it together with anything stuck inside.Result I feel. [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]Unless anyone has other dire experiences to share.Phil GT

errrr you shouldn’t really have washed it in the washing machine and did you re-oil it with the Pipercross filter oil ?Also was the filter at the air box end? it should have been at the open end of the piping !

quote:Originally posted by Phil Davies:Also was the filter at the air box end? it should have been at the open end of the piping !PhilAre you sure about this? I’m not aware of anybody else’s running like that.

There has been a lot of debate around this one, whether the filter should go at the end or at the box.Some people prefer it at the end because that’s where Lotus leaves it when removing the other one.Others (like me) think that at the box the filter is more protected from water, stones, etc.I have run it at the box without any adverse effects and whenever I clean the filter (with the Pipercross liquid and later put the Pipercross oil) I just clean the insids of the flexible pipe, which is by the way, always amazingly clean anyway.Which is the technical argument for the filter at the end?Uldis

Mine had both filters installed and followed the Lotus recommendation, you know how picky they are over warranty issues, “sorry sir your air filter was in the wrong place” i removed the filter at the box end as recommended.I seem to remember but cant think where at the moment that having it in the box alters the air flow into the throttle bodies, but as Uldis says it’s a matter of choice.[This message has been edited by Phil Davies (edited 21 January 2003).]

hmmm found this on the LotusLife BBS from Nick Adams…Removing the resonator valve (looks like a bl@@dy great big throttle body) and the first air filter at the entry to the cold air feed pipe will increase the engines induction noise and may help the engine response slightly. Be aware that, especially if a supersports exhaust is already fitted the car may struggle to meet drive by noise levels at some trackdays once this has been done.He then says this in another thread…Buongiourno Roberto, removing the flap valve will make your car a little noisier, but can be easily done. Simply undo the hose clips and remove the flap valve from the air box and the intake trunking. Remove the secondary air filter from inside the air box (it’s primarily there to reduce noise levels) and connect the intake hose directly to the air box. Job done! Don’t worry about the change in plenum volume, the air filter is effectively transparent to the pressure waves in there. The standard calibration should work acceptably in this configuration, but if you want to go all the way to the full 190 conversion you will need to fit the reprogrammed ECM.Make your own mind up [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Guys,the way the air intake comes, with both filters installed, it is not picking air from the scoop, but from the inside of the engine bay.If you attach it to the scoop, then all sorts of flying things will go directly in. If you have an air filter just there, it might get pierced, or very dirty. If you put the filter higher up, the solid and/or wet stuff is going to hit several walls before reaching the filter. The filter will last longer and cleaner.In short, if you’re just removing one filter and the resonator valve and leaving the air pickup in the bay, better put the remaining filter at the end (it will stabilize the hose, only that).If you’re attaching it to the scoop, better put it near the box. It will be cleaner and safer.Uldis

Having had Minister looking and working on my engine, one of the areas they looked at was getting a good supply of cold air into the engine. They put in ducting from the side intake to the airbox, and put a different filter at the airbox end. Last time I had the filter out it was full of leaves (which must have helped power no end!) but no stones, grit etc.Cheers

Well, had it been on the scoop side it would have had also stones, grit and mud.Which tells you that it’s ok, only when you drive a lot through fallen leaves you should clean the filter more often!Cheers,Uldis

I would be careful connecting the intake to the side vent - this cuts off a cooling source to the engine bay. I plan on doing this put then cutting some holes into the back of the car - probably in the number plate area.[This message has been edited by meat (edited 22 January 2003).]

I fitted the official motorsport intake pipe on my car. The adaptor which connects the pipe to the intake has an opening in the bottom which allows stones and other debris to fall out, and also means that some cool air is allowed into the engine bay. Obviously when the throttle is closed, all of the air coming in will be expelled into the engine bay for cooling. With this kit, you have no choice but to fit the filter at the airbox end.

Blimey,10 educated Exigerphiles whilst i’ve had my nose to the grindstone!Thanks for all the feedback, just to clarify:The filter I removed was attached to the end of the airbox with a cabon fibre sleeve. it had a Lotus part no on it together with ‘made by pipercross’ etc. It is a cone shape and only had a small amount of ‘bits’ in it (nothing like stones, leaves etc.) The flexible 6" dia. pipe which extends to the n/s air intake on the bodywork was lined and very clean. I have not removed the airbox yet. Does the airbox have yet another filter attached to the intake manifold (covering all 4 inlets?)FYI I have the 190 UG / SS xhaust / cat bypass pipe etc.Don’t worry about the washing machine sketch, the foam filter didn’t suffer as I put it on a supercare woollen cycle [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]Phil GT

Phil, it seems to me that you only have one filter in your system. The second would have been in the end of the pipe, but since you’re not mentioning it…No, there’s no more filters inside the airbox.And please! don’t wash it anymore in the washing machine! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/shocked.gif[/image]Uldis

Hi Guys, have been reading the posts about connecting the airbox to the air intake on the side. I’m thinking about doing this also but I’d like to know how you got on and if it made a difference.
Also I sourced a piece of aluminium duct (150 dia.) and had a look at how to fit it. A couple of problems showed up…
a) Getting the end of the new duct onto the opening at the side of the car looks too tight, with pipes and stuff getting in the way.
b) when trying to put the filter at the airbox end the bottom of the airbox is too close to a pipe to get it on.

The smallest length of duct I got is able to stretch to 1.5m. Would I be able to just replace the original duct with the new one? What is the purpose of the jacket around the duct? ie to keep heat out?
Anyway, hope you can help guys…see ya
Rooney

Rooney,

don’t substitute the original pipe, it’s very good and heat insulated. Besides, the aluminum one is not going to be able to stand the vibrations.
A friend of mine had one in his S1, it broke and he didn’t realize, sucking grime in and led to engine destruction, and yes, his filter was at the end of the pipe.

Just get a piece of solid black plastic pipe (100mm) from Halfords, about 5" long, use some black foam (from box packaging) at the edge to make it thicker so you can clamp the hose around it.

It seems to me that your pipes are badly arranged, as I have found no interference problem in my car (nor any Exige I’ve seen). Check the pipes are tidy and arranged.
Can you take a picture of it and post it?

You can see a picture of my engine bay here

Hi Rooney. I used the Lotus motorsport trunking because the standard one didn’t seem quite long enough. And I used their plastic adaptor to fit it to the opening at the side of the car.
There was no problem fitting the adaptor, but I did have trouble with fitting the filter to the airbox. It was a really tight fit against the pipes which run just under airbox. In my case, there was no special solution, I just spent about half an hour fiddling with different combinations of whether each of the jubilee clips was fitted before or after the filter was pushed into place.
It’s probably no help, but here 's my engine bay.
Good luck!

cheers lads, will be easier with 100mm pipe to get to the opening. uldis, how did you attach the new pipe to the opening? will try tonite with the filter, i take it that you’re using the pipercross foam filter? so did the extra air make any difference?

Extra air def. made a difference, and yes, original Pipercross filter here.
Easier to rev at the top.

As Brendan says, the trunking appears to be not long enough, but with the 5" plasic extension (or is it 6"?) it is long enough to slide over the black scoop. It is held there just by its length, oval scoop inside the pipe, no need to fasten it at all.

As mentioned the other way is the Motorsports adaptor, which costs about �20, but you may find the pipe seems still a bit short.

Uldis
Got the perfect thing for the job, a plastic flexible extension pipe which is 140mm at one end and 100mm at the other. I’ve also got heat reflective sheeting to wrap around it. Is it wise to open up the vents at the back of the car (at the fog lamp and the reversing lamp) and also the number plate? By the way how does the number plate come off?

Rooney

That would work great!, although you still need to fill a bit the gap with something.
I would say that the reflective sheet is not needed because it’s at the tip of the hose. Not hot there.

Opening the fake vents behind and license plate area makes the car (and cabin) run much cooler. Needed in summer, not now, but yes, it helps.
It has been covered in past threads (search around). Also take a look at the pics here

BTW, the plate base is attached with 3 screws, but the plate itself may be attached with dual sided adhesive tape, and may take some convincing to come off (it may also break, but that’s �10 at Halfords for another)