yellow Exige at Nick Whales

i’ve spotted the Yellow ‘x’ plate Exige 190 on pistonheads advertised with Nick Whale.

the price seems very high at �24k but it does seem to be the only one for sale through an official Lotus dealer.

the mileage is only 8k which appeals to me and it has a sports zorst, harnesses but not sports seats.

does anyone know this car… apparently used to be their demonstrator?

i quite like the idea of getting a low mileage example with a warranty and this seems as good a choice as any.

it’ll be to replace my 5k mileage S1 111S with hurricane, liz-parts zorst and 160tb… on that subject, is a 190 vhpd with sports zorst louder than my current setup?

many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Alex - don’t know the history of the car but was in NW’s last Thurs and had a good look round it - looked in v good fettle - also NW are in my opinion one of the better Lotus main dealers

• and it did look kinda special amongst all those s2s

i’m certainly impressed with their efficiency, they called me this morning to discuss my p/ex proposal… unfortuantely we were a few grand apart which i completely understand… i’ve no doubt they will get close to their money for the car, i was just trying on the offchance they wanted shot of the car and the balance to pay would fit on my credit card…

if they are reading this and feel like reconsidering, my offer is open and i might even come up another grand but no more

Bell and Colvill had a couple of S1 exiges for sale on Saturday

I had been warned away from several cars after being told that harnesses with non sports seats is a really bad idea. Someone at Lotus pointed out to me that they are not that safe. The sports seats are designed to cope with the stress etc…

Just my 2 cents!

Ed

�24K seems a bit steep for an S1… haggle the bar stewards down.

i’ve sent them another e-mail upping my offer as far as i can… i still think i’m too far apart though…

interestingly, my insurance premium only goes up by �200 to just under �1k for a 15k mileage policy with �450 escess… not bad for a 28yr male with 3pts for speeding.

i’m still trying!!.. upped my offer one final time and just awaiting a response… would seriously love to own the car but one has to draw the line somewhere!

had a go at the azure blue car with wilson’s but apparently it is already sold!

the exige market appears to be quite buoyant at the moment!

Alex,

I went past at the weekend and it definately looks a tidy car and worth the effort! Keep at it

Are you local to NW’s by the way? Im only about 1/2 mile away now theyve moved to Bromsgrove

I’m actually in Lymington on the South Coast… Don’t usually make it as far as Birmingham as I can’t understand the language! If Nick Whales approve my offer, I will head up there, look at the car and give them a hefty deposit… I know what I’m looking for, so provided the car is as described, the inspection is fairly academic.

Here’s hoping… although they haven’t got round to replying as yet!

Don’t usually make it as far as Birmingham as I can’t understand the language!

Did you mean ‘YOW COR UNDERSTAND’

Maybe thats why both of you cant agree a price

I had been warned away from several cars after being told that harnesses with non sports seats is a really bad idea. Someone at Lotus pointed out to me that they are not that safe. The sports seats are designed to cope with the stress etc…

Just my 2 cents!

Ed

I think the point about having sports seats with the harnesses might refer to the fact that the Lotus harnesses fix to the harness bar behind the seat by being wrapped around it. Therefore if you have standard seats there is a danger that the shoulder belts can “spread” and slip off your shoulders. With sports seats they fit through slots and are therefore “fixed”.

My personal opinion is that harnesses are better if fixed to the rear harness bar with eyebolts…and on that point the lap belts should also be fixed to eyebolts mounted through the floor and using spreader plates rather than to the seat/seat brackets.

and on that point the lap belts should also be fixed to eyebolts mounted through the floor and using spreader plates rather than to the seat/seat brackets.

What…? The floor…? The floor that corrodes? And that cheapo toilet paper seems thicker than?

How big a speader plate are you looking at

Alex just do it or regret it for ever .

Seriously though what do you think your 111s is worth - 15k is probably about right considering mileage / condition etc.

The Exige is worth what someone will pay for it being a. low mileage b. unique in colour c. has a few good options on it - (although not the sports seats) d. is a dealer sale so should come with a decent warranty. I would guess it is probably worth a grand or so less than they are asking assuming the condition of the car matches the mileage and if they are giving you 15k on your car - maybe and extra 7 -8k would be reasonable IMHO?

Good Luck and hope to see you driving it soon

I set myself a limit of �6k plus my car but after looking at my bank accounts, I conned myself into believing that �7k would be just about achievable provided I change from drinking Dom Perignon to Pomme every weekend… also might have to give up the cocaine and whores, but hey, the missus would be pleased!

If anyone knows the guys at Nick Whales, just tell them to give in and let me come up at the weekend to do the deal, any longer and i’ll talk myself out of it…

…and they still haven’t replied to my latest e-mail!

What…? The floor…? The floor that corrodes? And that cheapo toilet paper seems thicker than?[/quote]

Yes the same floor the seats are attached to!!! but only using BIGGER bolts

My Dad lives next door (sort of) to Nick Whale and I am up there at the weekend, if I see him I will tell him to sort you out a deal. This kinda implies I know Nick Whale,…I don’t but if I see him I will say something!

Sorry, but the seats are not attached to the floor, but to the crossmembers.

I would be interested to know where the MS seats and load spreaders attach to, as I may go this route someday.

well it’s good news and it’s bad news.

the good news is that those wonderful guys at nick whale’s have come down from their perch and offered me a very very good deal. i will not divulge what the figures are as this will be unfair to them… suffice to say that they are very nice people and i wouldn’t hesitate to buy a car from them.

the bad news is that having arranged the extra funding, SHMBO has put her foot down and pointed out (quite rightly) that i have only just bought the elise which is an inheritantly more reliable car than the exige, requires less frequent and cheaper servicing, is cheaper to insure, is more pracital and doesn’t cost 'x’thousand more. she also pointed out that i’ve just spent �7k on a kitchen and i’m supposed to be bankrolling our wedding next year…

it all kinda stacks up to me being so close yet so far!.. at the end of the day, she is right, the S1 111S elise is far less likely to become a horror and doesn’t even cause a ripple in my finances… i should be happy with that, surely!

however for anyone looking to buy an exige, there is a VERY good deal to be had at Nick Whales!

Bloody hell, Alex!

Just ask her if she wants you to be happy - if not, cancel the wedding NOW!

You’ve got to convince her any “potential” downside is not as bad as you first thought. Okay, routine running costs are up, but with only doing 10K miles a year not too much. BUT the big thing is that the Elise will lose a damn sight more money than the Exige in depreciation over the same period. You are buying the Exige at the “right” money, it’s one of only 600 ever made (275 reg’d in UK less a few write offs), & it’s already a “classic”. Surely, she wouldn’t want to deny you a “once in a lifetime opportunity”.

PS Who wears the pants anyway