Won't start?

Exige has been sitting for almost two weeks - went to start it today and it turns over, but won’t fire.

Battery is new, and it turns over strongly. Can hear it going “chhh” occasionally, almost as if its catching, but not firing - as its been outside, I wondered if it was water in the plugs, but looks dry in there.

I did wonder if it was the immobiliser, as its been thrown up by a few searches on here, but not convinced of that myself as it sounds like its trying start.

Anything else I can try before I ship it down to PM’s?

Can you hear the fuel pump prime on the 1st turn of the ignition key?

If so, I’d favour a bit of dampness - plugs or coil side.

Unfortunately, if you have now turned it over on the battery for a while you may have flattened the battery just enough that it may not now have the required cranking speed for it to fire.

Can you put it on a trickle charger or give it a tow or bump start?

Fuel pump primes. I did wonder if it was due to poor cranking speed, as it’d been off the trickle charger, so put the CTEK on it overnight - still the same.

I was under the impression that bump-starting was a bad idea?

It’s sulking because you want to sell it.

only if you are towing it with a rotten towing eye…but seriously what have you heard?

I don’t know where I heard it, I was just under the impression that it wasn’t a good idea? If thats a case, I might give it a try.

do you still have a cat fitted?

Yes - not good for it I know, but its not like its a regular thing.

Let us know how you get on

crank sensor

Some cars can’t be bump started because the ECU does not recognise that if can go from “off” to “running” without “starting”. Most don’t have this problem but I have no idea if and S1 exige can be bumped.

Have you checked…

Is it fuelling, you should be able to smell the fuel and (if you take the carbon cover off) you should be able to see fuel in the inlets from the injectors (need to open the throttles to see.

Next you should check for a spark, you can take a plug out and hold it against the engine block and see the spark. Careful to use insulated pliers to hold the plug (in it’s holder). Halfords used to sell a little light thing which can be put in the plug lead to see if it is sparking. You could put in inline with any of the leads from the coil pack on the side of the engine (much safer than a shock).

If it fuels and sparks, it should start. VHPDs can be a %^& to start.Mine never starts first time. I find it best to leave the gas pedal alone and just start it.

Mines always been 100% starter, first turn of the key, every time, which is why I find it odd that its decided to throw its dummy out this time.

I can smell petrol, but unfortunately I can’t get the plugs out - my tool is too big, and won’t fit (giggedy). The K must have a narrow opening, as I’ve used it on other cars.

Re: Crank sensor, can this be diagnosed easily by a mechanical numpty (ie, me)? How would I know if that’s at fault?

Don’t think I’ll bump start it, I’d prefer to play it safe…

I had the same issue when trying to run my car on the Motec. VHPDs are very borderline with the current draw on the starter with anything other than a very meaty battery fully charged.

When you crank, the voltage drops. If this drop is too great then the ECU will black-out during cranking and won’t fire the engine.

Try roll-starting it (Exiges will start like that just fine).

Matt,

Ok you have fuel. If you can’t get a plug out buy a plug tester, just checked and they can be purchased for 2.95 on ebay! You should be able to fit it on the coil pack end of your HT leads (from the coil pack to the lead). If you have no spark, PM me and I have a spare CPS you can try.

I would try charging your battery for the reasons stated above, it may just fix it.

Cheers, but I’ve given up and I’m taking it to PM’s on Saturday rather than messing about with it!

Not driven it in over 2 weeks now, need it to recharge the mojo after putting up with the its-so-dull-I’m-going-to-fall-asleep-at-the-wheel Audi…:frowning:

Who is PMs?

Paul Matty?

Must be as Cameron wouldnt have much of a clue would he ?

Could be Pippa Middleton’s & he’s taking the car over to impress :smiley:

I could jump start Pippa Middleton . . .