Winter tyres

With shitty weather no doubt approaching, I want to swap the 48`s for something a bit better in standing water and in bad weather until spring comes round again.

Whats the best options or what do people have experience of in Exige sizes? What works and what doesnt. I wont be doing anymore trackdays till next year so just the best road tyre options please.

It’s the middle of August, please let me pretend it’s still summer for a few more weeks!!!

True, but I reckoned by the time I got some useful answers it`d be Ocotber…

Plus I will need them soonish so I am just being prepared!

True, but I reckoned by the time I got some useful answers it`d be Ocotber…

Plus I will need them soonish so I am just being prepared!

Id go for Yoko 39s, thats whats on mine and keep the 48s for the summer!

P.S. Darent tell you this but I actually asked the salesman how much the S2 was that he had for sale…Chrome Orange with performance pack…nice, very nice!

Cool so are 39`s decent allweather tyres, water clearing etc?

Did you recount all your tales of cheap S2`s to the salesman?

‘Yes Sir’ he said ‘But we offer warranty, back up service, blow jobs etc, thats why our prices are much higher’…yeah right!!!

P.S. Dont think id want to use 48s on greasy, wet, slippery, icey, roads!

PMSL When is your car, EVER going to see the roads you describe - it’ll be well tucked up in bed from September to May, at least

I have had a look at the yokohama uk website but they are not on the list - will ask my local dealer. Anyone got info on prices for a set in s2exige size?

PMSL When is your car, EVER going to see the roads you describe - it’ll be well tucked up in bed from September to May, at least

Obviously it was the 'ROYAL ‘I’ Pesky, but thank goodness theres someone worse than me…remember the guy who sends his son on a recce to check out the weather conditions first?

I have had a look at the yokohama uk website but they are not on the list - will ask my local dealer. Anyone got info on prices for a set in s2exige size?

Got mine from Graham at Plans Motorsport!

Toyo T1-R’s are great in the wet, very progressive. And at <�300 a set from mytyres, you can’t argue with that!

They take about 500 miles of breaking in though. I did 40 miles to work in this:

[image]http://www.smithathome.com/albums/phonepics/snowplough.jpg[/image]

when hardly anyone else made it in…

so how limited for choice are we?

Are the sizes

R16 195 and R17 225?

What does the J in 6.5J x 16 etc. stand for by the way?

I think it is time to campaign to lotus to get the new Yokohama AD07 elise S2 tyre in a 195 front. That will solve all the problems for the winter.

You can’t go far wrong with a set of Michelin Exalto 2s on the front and pilot sports or bridgeston S-03s on the back. All are nice and soft and superb in the wet.

You can’t go far wrong with a set of Michelin Exalto 2s on the front and pilot sports or bridgeston S-03s on the back. All are nice and soft and superb in the wet.

Well, that’s a new suggestion. Do you drive an Exige S1 or S2?

No I don’t but I will very soon. I did think about not sticking my nose in but I have experience of the Michelins and my friend has the Bridgestones. I’ve had yoko 539s and Toyo T1-S’s. They are so much better in the wet and dry than those 2 they are in a completely different league.

The pilot exaltos have the most lateral grip of any tyre I have used, they are designed for light cars and are superb in dry and wet conditions. The pilot sports are very similar but have a tread pattern that gives more grip under accelleration in the wet so are ideal for the rear. The bridgestone potenza S-03 are very similar to the pilot sports.

What makes all of them superb in the wet is that they are all very soft. If there’s a dry day they wont dissapoint either. The toyos and 539’s in comparison are hard and while the toyos cut through standing water very well, the overall level of grip is fairly average imo.

No offence, mate, & I believe you’re genuinely trying to be helpful, but only the LTS marked 48s or 39s & Toyo R888s have consistantly proved to be suitable for the Exige. Other tyres have been tried, & most have been ditched along the way over the past 5 years. I think Uldis may still be using Maxsport, but he’s a “unique” sort of guy in many ways

Your suggestions may work, but I really doubt that any of the regulars here are going to be guinea pigs, especially when there are already satisfactory (albeit, expensive) tyres available.

Please continue to post - all input is welcome, & we’re a friendly bunch

None taken!

I don’t expect many people will try them either but I can assure you they wont be dissapointed if they do for winter use and I’m afraid they aren’t much cheaper, a set of the michelins would set you back about �450

I have a set of Toyo R888’s on at the moment and they were fantastic at croft - well no complaints at my level anyway.

I have a set of Proxes T1R’s generally ok for cheap tyres but a bit hard for such a light motor as the exige. I would think the Yoko (remortgage your house-a-set) 39’s are the best in the wet but I have no experience of this.

I think I’m right in saying the 39’s were the factory fit on the S1’s