Why is touring on the Exige S2 so popular in UK?

with a free shoulder, I don’t see how this can do that.

It locks the seat belt so stops you being thrown around eg on track

Probably does, but that’s not really much use in a high speed impact.

Ideal solution, which numerous owner (S1 & S2) utilise, is to have an option, by having both normal inertia seat belts, & harnesses fitted.

I don’t think so.
Most of dual setups share the same bolt, and I doubt in the case of an accident it will be able to hold, as the bending momentum on the thread is magnified.

Mind you, I don’t believe the std mounting pints are right either, they bolt onto the seats.
To me, they should be bolted to a different place, like the chassis with a spreader plate.
I’ll wait to do it correclty, or not do it at all.

BTW, many people feel more stable in the seat with harnesses because they move about. Me, being a big arsed monster don’t move at all. The only benefit would be from a frontal impact or roll over, which I have’t experienced so far.
So, yes, I’ll install something but good, later

I don’t think so.
Most of dual setups share the same bolt, and I doubt in the case of an accident it will be able to hold, as the bending momentum on the thread is magnified.

There was much debate about this some time ago and whilst I cannot state for certain all the conclusions were correct, I erred on the side of caution and removed the inertia reels.

Then, later, when changing the seats I thought some more about the issue regarding the seat mountings. If you examine them, then they do indeed look far to lightweight to take any sort of real force, especially that which might be generated by a trackday accident when you are travelling at higher than road speeds.

I then mounted both lapstraps and the crotch strap through the floor using spreader plates underneath the floor.

In summary, harnesses are far better but they must be fitted correctly.

Not trying to stir here, but I don’t see how these mounting points on the side of the seats can be a reason to not change from an inertia reel belt to a harness as 2 out of the 3 mounting points on the inertia reel belt mount there!

Not trying to stir here, but I don’t see how these mounting points on the side of the seats can be a reason to not change from an inertia reel belt to a harness as 2 out of the 3 mounting points on the inertia reel belt mount there!

No worries - I am definitely not saying that you should not change from inertia reel to harnesses. The point Uldis was making was about keeping them both and having them double mounted on the seat bolts - there is a logic that says you cannot do this and have both mounted correctly. The item on the outside will exert a bending load with the bolt acting as a fulcrum.

See your point Azrael, it’s just that if I do it I want to do it correctly.
I guess I’ll find some time this year. But mean while, I feel planted in my seat, don’t move at all (because I have a big arse)

No worries Uldis! I’m certainly not trying to imply that everyone MUST get a harness of that they’re daft if they don’t!

FWIW The harness fixings dictate how well the harness can be mounted. For example my racer uses eye bolts next to the rear seat rail mountings for the lap straps of the harness which just means that that part of the harness needs clip on fixings. Whereas the 4 point Safety Devices road use harness that Lotus sold has bolt on fixings, which obviously cannot be used with eye the bolts.