Why is touring on the Exige S2 so popular in UK?

Scrolling through all the adds on Pistonheads I couldn’t help noticing that 99% of the S2’s offered have the touring pack fitted. The sportpack is very scarse. Any reason why? Thought all the britts liked their sportscar pure and simple.

Nico

Beats me, there must be a lot of road only Exiges
Plus there have been points when the P pack was an extra couple of months waiting

because they are mostly ex Boxster or Z3 owners

I heard ALL the new Exiges sold in Scotland have been PP. Dealer will only order PP demo cars…sensible bunch up here.

1. Specc’d by the factory without an order
  2. S2 is more ‘everyday’ & specc’d accordingly
  3. Track time is a tiny %age of overall use for most
  4. In any spec it will still beat the pants off most other alternatives/all alternatives in the price range
  5. It’s only bought by Elise’rs who want a fixed roof

Tim.

I heard ALL the new Exiges sold in Scotland have been PP. Dealer will only order PP demo cars…sensible bunch up here.

If Graeme at MMC told you that he it telling porkies! Wouldn’t be the first time…I know for a fact he has sold quite a few Touring Exiges and last time I was in the showroom all 3 cars in stock were touring pack. My own car has a kinda hybrid spec - base car + air con + special order custom red leather trim. Currently has single oil cooler, second one being added soon. I probably would have gone for the perf pack, but there was quite a delay on perf pack cars at the time I ordered mine plus I don’t like alcantara seats, and apologies to all you perf pack owners, but those ‘carbon’ door inserts and nasty grey plastic surrounds look a bit naff

Mark

Good point, I cant for the life of me understand ANYONE who buys an S2 with a touring pack…go and buy a BMW Z4 OR a HONDA S2000 if youre after comfort!

Surely you HAVE to have the performance pack on an S2 not the so called ‘comfort’ pack!

If Graeme at MMC told you that he it telling porkies! Wouldn’t be the first time…I know for a fact he has sold quite a few Touring Exiges and last time I was in the showroom all 3 cars in stock were touring pack. My own car has a kinda hybrid spec - base car + air con + special order custom red leather trim. Currently has single oil cooler, second one being added soon. I probably would have gone for the perf pack, but there was quite a delay on perf pack cars at the time I ordered mine plus I don’t like alcantara seats, and apologies to all you perf pack owners, but those ‘carbon’ door inserts and nasty grey plastic surrounds look a bit naff

Mark

Twas indeed Graeme’s porkies…
I quite like the faux carbon bit but the sliver/grey trim is just nasty. Would look better in proper carbon or maybe retrimmed in black leather…

Cheers,
Ali

What�s the weight difference between the PP & Touring Pack?

Minimal I would have thought. Electric window mechs dont weigh much more apparently, Touring has extra carpets and sound deadening, but performance has the weight of oil coolers, extra oil, harness bar etc. I am sure the skinyness/lardyness of the driver would be much more significant

Mark

Would not swap my seats and harnesses for anything
The electric windows are actually lighter than the widers

because they are mostly ex Boxster or Z3 owners

I have a touring and my last car was an Elise 135r and before that an S1 Exige 190…I use the car everyday and find the seats are better for everyday driving. Still going to be taking the car on the track this year though.

i bot my S2 with the touring pack because it makes the car a much more comfortable drive… regularly drive the m4 from london to wales, and back… so air con, sun visors, sound proofing and carpets make the 150 mile journey (each way) more bearable

Good point, I cant for the life of me understand ANYONE who buys an S2 with a touring pack…go and buy a BMW Z4 OR a HONDA S2000 if youre after comfort!

Surely you HAVE to have the performance pack on an S2 not the so called ‘comfort’ pack!

The Exige I have on order comes with the sportspack (as it’s now called), nitrons, rear chasisbrace and Ultralight alloys. And of course AC, as only max 30% will be tracktime and the rest leisure (continental travel to Finland, Italy, Swiss, etc.)

Ordered it end October 2005, delivery in April 2006.

Nico

The Exige I have on order comes with the sportspack (as it’s now called), nitrons, rear chasisbrace and Ultralight alloys. And of course AC, as only max 30% will be tracktime and the rest leisure (continental travel to Finland, Italy, Swiss, etc.)

Ordered it end October 2005, delivery in April 2006.

Nico

Great choice, enjoy it!

15 additional lb.s for TP on the US spec S2 per my dealer.

15 additional lb.s for TP on the US spec S2 per my dealer.

That would be the cup holders

The Exige I have on order comes with the sportspack (as it’s now called), nitrons, rear chasisbrace and Ultralight alloys.

Nico - what’s the chasisbrace do?

See:

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=50527&Forum=
Got a scan of the complete bullitin aswell. Can’t upload these. I can email if you like.

Nico

Nico - thanks for the reply. I must have missed that post, looks an interesting idea.