Where have all the King K Engines gone?

Court - you know exactly what I mean, if you want to sue me for what I have said about your and scholars dreadful engine building , go ahead I would relish the oppertunity to present the evidence in court and the opinion of the Powertrain and third party engineers I have paid to analyse your work. Go on do it!

Good grief… no lawyer would ever take on your case when you make statements like that!!

I can�t understand why you are arguing like this. I am sure there is something I am missing.

If it is about who makes the best engines, please feel free to give me one of your best engines so I can try and compare them.

I know little about engines and Dave has always been more than helpful when asked for small bits of advice, so I must say I find it a little distasteful that somebody is trying to wreak his livelihood (goading him in to court action, honestly!) in my happy part of the Internet.

However, I’m also unable to tell if Simon has a point.

So, Dave, for the record, would you be comfortable indicating the number of customers you have had over the years and an estimate of how many have let you know of disappointments?

This is purely out of interest Dave, if you’re not comfortable I will think no less of you.

Cheers, Ian

Personally, I don’t think this thread is now of any benefit to any of the “interested parties”, or indeed, the rest of us for that matter.

I shall now do an “83man”, & not post anything further in this thread

If the protagonists wish to do battle in court, so be it, that’s their choice - but only the lawyers will come out smiling, that’s for sure.

Very true, it just confuses things. I wouldn’t know what to do if I had trouble. This is all very petty.

I agree that the thread is no longer useful, a familiar pattern it seems.

I have lost count of the number of customers I have had over the years, but according to my records, since I started counting I have prepared close to 400 K series heads. How many complete engines is hard to say probably around 120-130. I do know that engines and heads prepared by me hold course records and have won many championships and also hold the outright power records at Emerald at 1700,1800 and 1900cc. It is difficult to give an accurate figure for dissapointments because it depends on how you categorize them.

I have had a handful of engines with lower power figures than expected where I have prepared a conversion kit and the owners bottom ends were not sound (broken piston lands etc.). A few where the owner has fitted a kit and caused some damage, sometimes minor sometimes not.

A few heads have had HGF and I have seen a few engines back with self inflicted damage and a couple that have needed some remedial work due to a problem or two.

Despite requests I do not have any information about the supposed engines that Simon Erland has, so I cannot comment on those.

Right now I’d estimate that there are more than 350 K engines out there either built by me or modified by me.

There are also a substantial number who have had bolt-on kits of TBs, ECUs, vernier pullies etc. fitted.

Dave Walker has seen a good many of them.

Dave

Bernard,
This has been mentioned before, not sure on the 2nd one but I know the owner of one of them and it has been okay since it was built. Only time it came out of the car was when it was crashed and needed some metalwork bits fixing so he pulled it out the car.

This is not in a road car though, also, as I’ve said before I won’t name him as Simon did before and he wasn’t happy when I told him about it, Steve Butts knows who he is as he’s mentioned him in the past.

OK, I know the engines you are refering to, and it’s reasonable that the owners want to remain anonymous. However the engines have hardly any usage, one is owned by a guy who is so busy he never has time to drive it and the other is used for sprinting where it has run hard for maybe 2 hours in the 8 years.

Bernard

Court - you know exactly what I mean, if you want to sue me for what I have said about your and scholars dreadful engine building , go ahead I would relish the oppertunity to present the evidence in court and the opinion of the Powertrain and third party engineers I have paid to analyse your work. Go on do it!

The thing is Simon, DVA undeniably has a lot of satisfied customers. It isn’t right to publish (via internet forums) the kind of statements you are. Engine builders businesses are based on reputation for both reliability and performance. Every company has the odd disgruntled customer but in someone like DVA’s case the feedback on the forums for his work is excellent.

In your view you may have strong reasoning for your case. However to the wider world your case is built largely on 3rd party experience and is unproven directly by you.

Your posts have become much more aggressive, personal and damaging.

The primary complaint levelled at you is that despite a lot of time elapsing you have currently failed to justify your quite significant claims. Having read a lot of posts I think this is complaint is a valid statement.

In contrast you are going out of your way to discredit a number of commercial interests. On face value it is easy to see that you may have justification for some statements, however this is lost when you attempt to tell the other builder exactly how many engines they have built, how many failures they’ve had, what build procedures they use, what tolerances they use, what suppliers they use etc. Also, in my my opinion saying you will never have HGF is laughable - you may eradicate a number of issues but you are always open to supplier problems, machining issues that are not noticed etc. Statements like that just highlight to me that you don’t have a lot of personal experience.

Once again, the best thing you can do is ignore the internet and come back when you have a more proven track record.

I’ll reiterate at this point that I have no commercial or personal connection with DVA or Scholar.

I have a plan…

If Simon gives me a 200-220hp K series to use I’ll drive it exactly like my Duratec and we’ll see if it withstands it.

Or even… if he makes a 280+bhp engine and Scuffers can run it in the Britcar 24H…

Let’s see how confident he is…

(and BTW I mean this years 24Hr not some time in the distant future when oil has run out etc…)

Oi Brian, less of the incitement.

In the last four years I have NEVER seen one negative comment on any of the boards about DVA’s work. Simon E…you sir are an ass hat!

To be fair though, haven’t ALL the negative comments about Simon E originated from people who have NOT had an engine of his??

Exactly!

To be honest though, I think everyone is still waiting for one of Mr Erlands top spec engines and to see if they make the power/torque he claimed could be made cheaply.
I would like to see one, hopefully I will get to see SeanB one at the mid engined.
If anyone all ready has one, please put a post up.

Christian

Sean’s not going to be a cheap engine.
Mine is: 220 BHP for about �3.5K.

That’s me perfetlty happy

Sean’s not going to be a cheap engine.
Mine is: 220 BHP for about �3.5K.

That is exactly his detractors point. Simon was saying that you can have a cheap powerful K. You can’t.

Bernard

There used to be a time when they considered 220 horses powerful.
A NA Honda is about the same, and some people consider it powerful.

Go figure…

And not quite the same trim figure of a K

There used to be a time when they considered 220 horses powerful.
A NA Honda is about the same, and some people consider it powerful.

Go figure…

CBA to look up his exact quote from almost 2 years ago but he was saying that 240 BHP was possible from a 1.8 for not a lot of money. So where are the engines proving that ?

Bernard