Where have all the King K Engines gone?

You’re all lucky I don’t come down & show you how to race in Linda’s Clio, oh & it’s never had HGF

And football, to be honest I can’t stand it, England maybe as its actually does have some english people in, other than that, not at all.

Some???

Simon,

Most of the information I posted was from sources within Rover.

Dave

sorry can’t get the images to post - will get Uldis to do it ASAP: [image]> http://http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/SimonErland/L1040610.jpg> [/image] [image]> http://http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/SimonErland/L1040599.jpg> [/image]

Uldis the IT guy…

You only had a typo: double http://.
Edited:

[image]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/SimonErland/L1040610.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/SimonErland/L1040599.jpg[/image]

I repeat none of my engines have ever suffered HGF > nor will they, 100% guarantee. >

Now that is a reckless statement. Everthing has it’s failure point, you can’t possible control every parameter that could lead to a failure.

What he means is what he has told me, that if I ever have a HGF he will repair it for free.

And from what I’ve seen, high powered K’s that have had HGF at one point are very likely to have again. And mine has been perfect since the rebuild (Ok, only 10K miles since then).

Simon is very confident on the HGF root causes.

Saying you’ll NEVER have an engine problem (e.g. head gasket) is very different to saying you will repair it. Saying you will repair it (FOC?) is a very dangerous commercial statement (either privately or as a business). I don’t know of any engine builder who is brave enough to commit to such a statement, which is presumably why Simon wouldn’t say it himself (I know I wouldn’t).

This argument has been going on for a very long time now. The number of engines produced is still not enough to base any positive results off the back of. I appreciate Simon didn’t start this thread and it would be hard for him not to get involved in but in my opinion he still doesn’t have enough proven engines in the field to substantiate the quite significant claims made (and that continue to be made). Its not been made any easier that the proof is always ‘imminent’.

Good luck to Simon and I hope the developments work but right now I don’t think anything has changed.

To you Pesky…

Bet your ears have been burning this weekend

the two 1.4L Turbo Ks have been producing 370bhp and 400bhp on the original gasket for 8 years now and have never been apart. The problem was clearly articulated in KingK 5 years ago!

So it’s two 400 BHP K’s now is it ? Been running faultlessly for 8 years ? I say once again, who owns them ? and why do we not see them running anywhere ?

BTW, why are you running at 70 to 74 deg ? Ahhh I’ve just remembered, it must be because all the other engine manufacturers in the world are wrong ?

Bernard

Simon,

Err… who mentioned Simon Thornley? Incidentally you were quite happy to drop his name in previous emails in an attempt to discredit me. That is until he responded and exposed your comments as lies, it seems he has now become persona non grata. Incidentally he has more real world experience of the K than you will gain in many a long year.

Simon’s views are not given unilaterally, but are gleaned from his experiences and those of the many, many contacts he has trough the old infrastructure of Rover.

The conversation as related to me was much more specific.

You mention you have 9 of my heads, 8 of them �failed� , I assume you mean HGF. As you are always fond of telling everybody ad nauseum, the head is rarely the problem and the cause is more likely to be issues associated with the block and liners, if this is the case please be good enough to tell the readers of this thread exactly how many of these supposed �failed� heads have been on engines which have been fully built by me and give me the stamped numbering so that I can validate that they are in fact heads produced by me. If the failure is associated with the liners then clearly it is not the head that has failed. It seems to be that you use the terms �failed engine� and �failed head� interchangeably.

The engine with the thrown rod looks like David Harvey�s but I may of course be wrong, just for the record although I have corresponded with David over a period of many years I have had no physical input to his engine so please be sure not to quote my name alongside your mention of this particular engine failure, if it has nothing to do with me then say so otherwise it is misleading and mailicious. You should also be sure to separate out those engines that I have not built from your list of DVA/Scholar, that is also misleading.

I have shown some your posts to a number of individuals who have intimate knowledge of the K series. Some of their comments are unprintable, some simply laughed at all the bunk, mistakes and gobbledegook. Bear in mind that the individuals that you are fond of quoting and name-dropping presided over a period within Rover where the reliability of the K series, particularly in the area of head gasket integrity was just plain awful.

There is no magic voodoo in fitting a head gasket Simon, it is laid on top of the block where the liner heights are correctly set, the shim is laid on top of that and then the head is fitted. I know that you always try to claim that only you have the intimate knowledge required and that everyone else is incompetent, that is the situation as you would like it, but it is not the situation as it is. There are many many engines out there (far more than the numbers that you have so far turned out) producing excellent and reliable horsepower that have been put together by people who�s names and activities you deride.

Every year I have here a large number of engines that come in for rebuilds, many could be described as �failed�, some of them spectacularly and I often have to work with components which are not new and heads which have already been heavily skimmed or modified by others. In some cases despite best advice the owners simply do not want to pay to correct some of the issues but I don�t make a song and dance about it nor do I accuse the previous builders of incompetence.

Inicdentally it is never possible to guarantee something 100%, if you are saying that noe of your engines will ever fail then that is fantasy. If you are saying that you will fix them if they do then that is entirely different.

Dave

Yawn…

No answers to my specific questions or requests… as usual.

Still it’s only a matter of time before you shoot yourself in the foot again.

Dave

Yawn…

No answers to my specific questions or requests… as usual.

Still it’s only a matter of time before you shoot yourself in the foot again.

Dave

You won’t get any answers Dave, we’ve all got to wait for the book.

Bernard

Simon,

Where exactly is cout? I cant find it anywhere in my UK map.

Dave

the two 1.4L Turbo Ks have been producing 370bhp and 400bhp on the original gasket for 8 years now and have never been apart. The problem was clearly articulated in KingK 5 years ago!

So it’s two 400 BHP K’s now is it ? Been running faultlessly for 8 years ? I say once again, who owns them ? and why do we not see them running anywhere ?

BTW, why are you running at 70 to 74 deg ? Ahhh I’ve just remembered, it must be because all the other engine manufacturers in the world are wrong ?

Bernard

Bernard,

This has been mentioned before, not sure on the 2nd one but I know the owner of one of them and it has been okay since it was built. Only time it came out of the car was when it was crashed and needed some metalwork bits fixing so he pulled it out the car.

This is not in a road car though, also, as I’ve said before I won’t name him as Simon did before and he wasn’t happy when I told him about it, Steve Butts knows who he is as he’s mentioned him in the past.

I’ve got a spare VHPD in the garage waiting for a rebuild to a decent spec - I don’t want to go down the Honda route, but am becoming more tempted - reading these ‘posts’ I don’t have a clue which is the best way to go - surely you k builders have a common goal?

btw Alan Wardropper at Scholar used to rebuild our FF Kent engines in the early 80’s they were bloody quick

Come on guys, peace