Wheel Arches

Mine hasn’t got holes in it so I must be driving like a girl.

Yes, you must be…

Couple of things here, the holes come from heavy cornering.
My car started getting holes with the original A039’s.
The A048’s give the same level of absolute grip, but the difference is the grip in the A048’s is very manageable, you can balance understeer and oversteer as you please. With the A039’s, when they start to go, it’s very difficult to get them back.
Hence the faster lap times with the A048.

Mine are about 80 x 50 mm at the front arches and 140 x 80 at the rear arches, and replacement liners are about �60 each. The problem is that they will wear out again, I feel they’re just wrongly designed.
My solution is one of those Sparco pieces of plastic that look so naff on the rally cars. Bought some of that stuff from Demon Thieves and will glue it on the back of the hole. That way at least what’s worn will not be re-worn again.

Now, need to find a nice tacky glue, one that will adhere in plastics and that doesn’t get brittle.

Stiffer springs is the way to cure it. The standard setup has silly amounts of body roll.

I run 600 and 650 springs, and there is little body roll indeed…

That’s the way to save your liners, but it’s not good for ordinary roads…

Yes, you must be…

Mine are about 80 x 50 mm at the front arches and 140 x 80
My solution is one of those Sparco pieces of plastic that look so naff on the rally cars.

I feel a competition coming on - can we all post pictures of our wheel liners and we’ll all agree who has the best damage (related to cornering only though!)

Mine are just taped up with silver gaffer tape which lasts a trackday and then just needs replacing prior to the next one…definitely low tech but it does work.

i actually was given a spare wheel arch liner by lotus when I complained that they damaged it when undertaking some work for me…agree with Uldis that it just seems totally pointless fitting it to have the same happen again. Maybe i will fit it after a Nitron/spring upgrade but that will have to wait until my next bonus.

I actually was given a spare wheel arch liner by lotus when I complained that they damaged it when undertaking some work for me…

I found that re-locating the spare wheel to the front compartment, keeps it in tip top condition (also helps with the weight distribution, & therefore overall handling).

[/quote]I found that re-locating the spare wheel to the front compartment, keeps it in tip top condition (also helps with the weight distribution, & therefore overall handling). [/quote]

we’re off again…the very best place to keep the spare is on the roof (all those 1960’s rally drivers knew this) - obviously you have to make sure that the air intake is not blocked so 22 spacers are required under the leading edges. The only real drawback is that reception on Radio 4 - especially The Archers is quite poor…

steve

i’m a gaffa tape man too… just keep topping up when it wears thru’…

IIRC… Uldis ditched his spare wheel and put something else into the space… i was thinking of putting mine on the rear luggage rack… never use it for anything else…

IIRC… Uldis ditched his spare wheel and put something else into the space…

Yep, the subwoofers for the ICE, just besides the neon and strobe sequencers.

ROFL

I feel a competition coming on - can we all post pictures of our wheel liners and we’ll all agree who has the best damage (related to cornering only though!)

I like that, who’s got the biggest.
Only I already know Russ’s got the biggest… holes!

Nevertheless, here are mine:

Front from above

Front from below

Rears

Now, next biggest holes?

…the very best place to keep the spare is on the roof…

No, no, no, that moves the CoG higher. I had the Edwards build me a special diffuser to incorporate the wheel under the engine. Mind you, I won’t keep a Mag wheel down there, or RussT’s framing rear (car not post-curry night) would look quite pathetic by comparison…in fact, I wonder if that’s what happened to EVOSAL’s new project?!

Ian

I keep my spares in the optional Exige trailer (you did all take the option of the matching S1 trailer did’nt you??)
This way I get to carry 039’s for the wet, 048’s for the dry, slicks for the track and a 38 for when someone p*sses me off!!

For those that didn’t get it (and let’s face it, it was never a published option ), I know the Edwards boys are (seriously) itching to have a go at their trailer idea, for just that reason!

Ian

Uldis - sets a high standard - like the addition of the tape to ensure consistency.

I’ll have to get some pics taken this weekend and post them up…

I also have a few good pics of running tyres down passed the canvas and onto the steel belts…but I guess that’s a different competition !

Ok, so come on, I want to see your holes!

I’ve shown you mine… let’s see who’s got the biggest one!

Dont fasten the liners to the front spoiler-that seems to have worked on my Exige.

The latter front left WAL if modified to allow more movement and protect the oil cooler hoses a little see
HERE

I’ve just phoned the samaritans!! They’ve recommended a hot bath with a razor blade and an electric fire!
I feel I’m missing out on something - you’ve all got holes and I hav’nt — is it like having an Exige without a yip?
I’m really ashamed of my lack of prowess - do you think Dale Carnegie run a course to help me?

…but I did do 31 mph in a 30 limit, just once…
I’m bad!!