What oil do you use/recommend?

I’m considering switching away from Shell Helix Ultra (Bell&Colvill’s std, which has been used in the car since new). It’s useful that’s it quite widely available but costly to buy in quantity and hence at service time.

So, I was wondering what other people used/recommended and why?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

Before I make my recomendation, I can’t remember if you run an oil temp gauge? If so what sort of peaks are you seeing on track?

Sean…

Castrol (or any other) 10w60… my garage says it’s ok

Mobil 1 15w/50 Motorsport

Simply because I have rather a lot of it

And it was fine on track with high temps

Carrefour own brand 100% synthetic 5W-50

Before I make my recomendation, I can’t remember if you run an oil temp gauge? If so what sort of peaks are you seeing on track?

I can’t remember what I set the SPA (which you sorted for me ) alarm for, I’ll check. Ninety-something I think. It usually takes me a good twenty minutes to get to that.

Ian

Cheers chaps.

FYI, Opie recommended me a 5w-40 ester based full synthetic, with either Silkolene or Motul being ideal.

Ian

Have mostly used Mobil 1 15w/50 - main reason being Halfords often have good offers on it (ie 4 litres for under �30).

Miller CFS 10w/60-excellent for temps.

How many litres for an oil change?

Cheers, Ian

Around 4.5. So just slightly more than you can buy in the usual 4 litre tub.

Halfords do a 5l can of the thick Mobil 1. I went to it from Shell because AndyD uses it. If its good enough for him its good enough for me!

Yeah if your not seeing high oil temps and by high i mean over 130 degrees then as everyone has sugested a good synthetic is the way to go.

Sean…

I find that 4l is just about right for an oil change

I find that 4l is just about right for an oil change

That’s probably because I’m paranoid and back purge the oil cooler too.

That’s probably because I’m paranoid and back purge the oil cooler too.

Now, THAT I’d like to see…

Millers Competition - fully synthetic. Good value and very, very good - way better than Mobil 1 IMHO and much cheaper. If it works in my race engine it’ll work on a road car.

Good choice, Steve

I use either Silkolene or Millers - depends what’s handy at the time.

Do you do anything special when you change between brands Pesky? (Or is it a case of somebody else doing it for you?)

Ian

Do you do anything special when you change between brands Pesky? (Or is it a case of somebody else doing it for you?)

Ian

“Special”

Drain the old stuff, change the filter, & stick the new oil in… all under my watchful eye, as Russ gets his hands dirty, of course