weight difference Elise 111R - EXIGE S2

I can�t understand why the ELISE 111R weights up to 50kg less than the Exige S2?? Where are the plus-kg in my exige?

the front-splitter, the rear spoiler, the hardtop and the little more plastic on the back doesnt make 50kg I think. does anyone has exact weight-lists for the extra-parts? How much does your Exige S2 weight??

Joe

Here’s a couple of things you’ve missed:

The Exige’s body panels are made using the cheaper and more traditional hand laid technique. This mean they’re a bit thicker and heavier.

Bigger wheels.

Begs the question… what are you GAINING (other than weight) getting an Exige over a 111R

Grip, looks, exclusivity…

Higher price …

Grip ? Isn’t that just a case of different tyres ?

Exclusivity ? Have they limited production… or is demand lower ?

Looks ? That’s debateable !

Begs the question… what are you GAINING (other than weight) getting an Exige over a 111R

DING!

I would go for the Elise every time.

grip, downforce, space for the supercharger,

grip, downforce, space for the supercharger,

The downforce increase is near non-existant and the grip can be improved on the Elise by simply changing tyres. What you want is an early S2 plus a supercharged Honda or Audi lump

space for the supercharger,

Wait & see the circuit car, it looks to have a 111R type flat rear cover.

BTW, in the early days of the VARI system, wern’t some of the pre-production cars hand laid up…& lighter as a result. Or is my memory fading

Tim.

Hand laid up bodywork can be very light if done properly. The consistancy of the material isn’t so great though so there will always need to be an amount of excess material.

One good thing about the older wet laid bodywork is that its far easier to mend.

And wider wheels, and stiffer suspension, and a bit of downforce…

Exclusivity ? Have they limited production… or is demand lower ?

Of course demand is lower. It’s more expensive, it’s not a convertible, and it doesn’t ride quite as well. It’s slightly more biased for track use, and most people want their car primarily for road use.
It’s certainly a plus for me that you don’t see an Exige on the road every day. I see Elises very often.

Looks ? That’s debateable !

Exactly, it’s a matter of personal preference, so if you prefer it’s slightly less girly looks, that can be considered a ‘gain’.

The wing is a floppy bit of plastic with barely and aerodynamic profile on it. The splitter would probably have a minor effect but there are plenty of aftermarket ones for an S2 Elise now. Suspension/wheels/tyres can all be addressed on the Elise and made better than the Exige.

50Kg is a lot, general rule of thumb is that you lose .2 secs of lap time for every 10Kg you add to a car.

I don’t care what it’s made of. If Lotus claim 40 kilos of downforce, that’s clearly better than nothing.
I’ve heard your friend Mr Scuffham pointing out that the S1 Exige has too much downforce for its power, so I guess halving the downforce and improving the drag is probably an excellent tradeoff.

Anyway, the wobbiness might well be an advantage. I’m sure you’re familiar with the efforts of formula 1 teams to make their wings flex to reduce drag on the straights

Why would you want to add a splitter to an Elise and upset the balance? Surely ou’d want to do something at the rear at the same time.

Talking of aftermarket mods is nonsense. Surely we’re comparing standard cars? You can equally spend money on an Exige, and make it better.

The wing is a floppy bit of plastic with barely and aerodynamic profile on it. The splitter would probably have a minor effect but there are plenty of aftermarket ones for an S2 Elise now. Suspension/wheels/tyres can all be addressed on the Elise and made better than the Exige.

50Kg is a lot, general rule of thumb is that you lose .2 secs of lap time for every 10Kg you add to a car.

Right my diet starts right now

There is no way 40Kg of downforce has been added on the Exige. Lotus spout so much rubbish along these lines its incredible, its probably never even seen a wind tunnel.

Also, the S1 Exige doesn’t have ‘too much downforce’, it has to much drag. The ratio between the two is not fixed, and it’s this ratio that is rubbish on the S1 Exige. The mods are cosmetic add loads of drag and a small amount of stability. A standard S1 Elise has lift at the back which can be felt at speed, the Exige doesn’t have lift so feels much more ‘planted’ Also drag can make a car feel stable without making it actually corner faster by pushing it to the road - ever seem the drag inducing gurneys on Nascar or indycars?

The bottom line is that the Exige looks really cool because of the different bodywork but its no real performance benifit.

Anyway, the wobbiness might well be an advantage. I’m sure you’re familiar with the efforts of formula 1 teams to make their wings flex to reduce drag on the straights

LOL yeah, that’s what they had in mind…

Well negligable or not I can feel the difference in downforce between the two, at speed.

Well negligable or not I can feel the difference in downforce between the two, at speed.

Have you driven an elise with equivilent suspension/wheels/tyres though?

yes. a number of 135R’s