We are a bit quiet

Now that I think about it, half of the ‘y’ of Fonzey is also cut-off on my screen too. Also a Pixel device (4) but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.

Logo sizing seems OK though.

Weird!
I cant tell what browser that is. Do you know the resolution its running in [mention]Fonzey[/mention] ?

It’s Chrome 81.0.4044.111 on Android10.

Can’t say it bothers me tbh so don’t waste too much time on it for my sake :laughing:

Its one of those things and will bug the heck out of me! I have literally just updated the style now so will flush the cache and see if it makes any difference. FWIW I run a avatar instead of username hence havent seen the effect.

It’s now fixed :blush:

Just bring a quote across from the Noble thread: [mention]series_one[/mention]

Interesting thought on making the site more private, I always figured that would reduce traffic if anything but you’re probably right now that I think about it.

Existing members may feel more confident in posting stuff about their cars, and any lurkers today that don’t sign-in and instead just read threads and vanish would be encouraged to contribute as they’re already logged in, so adding a comment/reaction/etc is just a click away.

Obviously it will reduce the true lurkers down significantly, I don’t know enough about forum footfall/statistics to know how harmful that would be!

One good strategy for a car forum though is to keep the classifieds as a public section, if you’re fresh on the market for an Exige it may be an easy way to snag a new member and they would still be forced into registering so they can communicate with the seller if they’re a serious buyer.

There are two sides to making things private

I could look into allowing first post only ( this will 100% harm SEO ) on all posts without being logged in, or we could make a limited amount of forum available without registration. Again this will hurt SEO

1. A bit more privacy for the OP.
  2. A more exclusive feeling
  1. SEO will take a hit as we cant index the posts
  2. People cant view and some wont register

Happy to meet peoples needs though.

SEO and being able to ‘google’ posts is a good point. If I google for “how to install a brake pad on a Lotus Exige” then I guess we’d want people to get hits for exiges.com (not that I’m aware of any guides existing here anyway :laughing: ).

Maybe a partial lockdown could workout. Keep ‘Owners Cars’ and some other bits behind closed doors so that people can post in confidence of a bit of privacy. Technical posts and general chit-chat could potentially be left open?

I don’t have a preference really, clearly I’m not too nervous about my car being plastered all over t’tinternet but I can see how not everybody would see it that way. I actively avoid posting car stuff on “non-private” FB groups too because frankly I don’t think my family care/want to know what I get up to. Forums are slightly different though as you do need to make a concerted effort to get here in the first place. Can’t see Aunt Mavis stumbling across my “Owners Cars” thread here, but if you’re reading - eyup Mav. :wave:

The projects section could work as a read first post only effort, or even completely hidden.

I am similar to you in that I cross post my car a fair bit.

Happy to hear thoughts about what people want.

Agree on Owners Cars etc… should be a good model… there does always seem to be ‘guests’ on here - but not sure if they are bots

Most are bots - you are correct.

Exiges has always been an open forum, I would not want it locked down, most agree it is the best form of information on Exiges anywhere and most of this references back to Elises as well. I’d be happy if it was a subset locked down a little, but really see it would make little difference in the long run, nasty people will just sign up to get the information they want anyway.
In days long ago, some of selcoc saw us as “elitists” as it was hard to get membership to post, I’d not want that again by restricting who can see the information on here.

We ran NYLOC ‘open to all’ for a few short years and then we closed the doors and kept 3 forums public. It’s been like that for over 10 years now. But I think the time is right to open it back up and just have a couple of forums locked down where paid-up members can send info / discuss meeting points / rusty parts bins / crocheting tips or whatever. I don’t think it devalues the club and with the rest of social media hoovering up the undesirables I don’t think it will need policing very much either (tbf it never did).

It’s a little more complex than ‘public / private’ but having done both I do feel putting content behind a paywall when you want visitors isn’t the right way forward.

I have researched for things on the internet which has shown forums with answers. Sometimes when I click on these forums I need to join to see what I’m after. I then back out and look elsewhere.
For Example, if I was after a back box for my Exige and Google linked me to a forum, which then needed me to register to see it, I would probably look elsewhere.

Its a difficult decision. Id hide members cars, meet ups/track days and non lotus chat to non registered.

On our local Lotus forum we have an open section consisting of introductions, general chat, monthly pub meetings and cars spotted, we then have a private section which is free where only approved members can see, this has adverts, private chat and private events, just helps keep things a little more controlled.

It looks like we are getting busier and the metrics do seem to stack up and agree .

21 APR 20

25 JUN 20

Very positive :thumbup:

The number of posts per day and users per day needs to be worked on… small steps and all that.

Instagram seems to be improving as well. :thumbup:

Can I ask how the shop is doing?

Good news indeed. Well done chaps

The posts per day is an average since day dot so moving it up this much in that time is quite impressive.

Must say I am very thankful for the assistance on the insta chaps :thumbup:

The shop is stagnant. We have sold next to nothing, sadly

Could we integrate the shop within the forum? Making it easier to find and more “in your face”?