Warrenty and induction kits.

Just thought I would post a response to a question on LCI regarding induction kits and warranty. Below is Nick Adams answer.

Hi Guys, the ITG system is not approved by Lotus for installation on the 111R and has been associated with various idle control issues on some cars we have come across. If you do install one you do risk your warranty being invalidated with regard to issues which could reasonably be associated with the filter being fitted such as premature bore wear, calibration problems, engine failure due to over rich or lean mixyture etc. We would of course still honour the warranty in areas where the airfilter could not have been a contributory factor such as the brakes, gearbox etc.
Hope this makes it clear, Nick

What about the two Pipercross kits?

Also some dealers are fitting ITG, surely they must have to warranty their work?

Just thought I would post a response to a question on LCI regarding induction kits and warranty. Below is Nick Adams answer.

Hi Guys, the ITG system is not approved by Lotus for installation on the 111R and has been associated with various idle control issues on some cars we have come across. If you do install one you do risk your warranty being invalidated with regard to issues which could reasonably be associated with the filter being fitted such as premature bore wear, calibration problems, engine failure due to over rich or lean mixyture etc. We would of course still honour the warranty in areas where the airfilter could not have been a contributory factor such as the brakes, gearbox etc.

That seems ridiculous, if breathing better ends up in a warranty claim then whats next? If it happens to you let us all know with some code word, bollox or such like, and then refit the original induction before sending it off to the dealer.

I think is referring to any induction kit not just the ITG…I did say that Lotus dealers are actually fitting induction kits, pipercross and ITG, to there demos but no reply regarding this.

pipercross is fully covered under warranty, this was confirmed by B&C prior to fitting to my S2

What is this forum where nick answers questions and how do i get on it?

Ian

Ian,

LCI is the factory ‘official’ owners club. It can be found & joined at www.grouplotus.com

�35/year membership which to need to get to view & post on the forum.

HTH

Tim.

Ian,

LCI is the factory ‘official’ owners club. It can be found & joined at > www.grouplotus.com

�35/year membership which to need to get to view & post on the forum.

HTH

Tim.

Thanks Tim,

I guess i better join.

Ian

If you have a subscription to EVO you can get a discount membership for �19.95

Another reply from Lotus.

Fitting any non-Lotus approved part will invalidate any claim the cause of which could be attributed to the fitting of that part. The engine calibration is designed around the standard intake system which itself is designed to offer maximum engine protection with minimal restriction and an acoustic enhancement at high rpm. The effects of an untested induction kit are difficult to predict, but a cold air supply is critical. I doubt whether any such kit will provide a ‘real’ benefit other than a psychological effect, but the potential downsides could prove expensive.

I suggest you enjoy your Elise in its standard specification.

Yours sincerely,

Dave Massey - Technical Service

Sounds about right to me

Tim.

but they sound so crap as standard. tbh if i couldn’t of had the stage 2 sports exhaust and itg induction kit fitted from new i probably wouldn’t have bought it.

am i alone on this?

tbh if i couldn’t of had the stage 2 sports exhaust and itg induction kit fitted from new i probably wouldn’t have bought it.

am i alone on this?

On the facts as stated, I think you’re unique

tbh this all sounds like scare mongering. how many elise’s or exiges have induction kits versus how many people have ever had a problem from a louder air filter!

i know that the guys have been modifying this engine in the states for a few years now and i doubt they have ever had a problem because of a changed air filter.

and as mentioned above many cars are sold from lotus dealers with the induction kits already fitted. can’t believe that the dealers would knowingly invalidate your warranty without telling you.

I think you’ve missed/ignored the point I was making, about not buying an Exige cos of it’s noise!

Or are you saying that you wouldn’t have bought the exhaust/induction stuff, if those items couldn’t be fitted by the dealer from day one?

mr pesky. i did get your point so sry for the confusion. i re-read some of the earlier points and it just got me on my soapbox!

No need to apologise, mate, I’ve been confused for years

Thats all well & good. But I can fully understand the warranty issues when using non-approved parts.

How many manufacturers would do otherwise. None I bet

Tim.

Nick Adams also said that the chances of anything happening is very slim. I think Lotus are just covering their butts.

Thats all well & good. But I can fully understand the warranty issues when using non-approved parts.

How many manufacturers would do otherwise. None I bet

Tim.

Isn’t there a law in the US that stops OEMs from voiding warranties if you fit aftermarket parts? When you buy a K&N filter there is a little about it on the back of the box.