Toyo R888 soft or medium hard compound?

My rears are down to 1.65 mil, got quoted �154 per tyre fitted for R888’s. I was intending to go for medium hard as I am a tight git and want to prolong life as much as possible.

However my mate reckons the Exige will be too light to generate the heat necessary to make them worthwhile.

Anyone got any experience of either compound? Or alternatively AO48’s good fitted price in the Glasgow area.

What’s the differnce in the treadwear ratings of the two options?

A 48 is 60 and in my completely informed but mildly investigated opinion I’d say anything over about 150 is going to struggle to get hot enough (although an S2 is a bit heavier, so perhaps slightly more).

Ian

Moving away from 48s would be a shame as a large part of the cars performance is based on them. Plus the car is designed and set up for the LTS 48s. Lotus spent a lot of time finding the best combo of sidewall stiffness and compound.
I figure that the only major consumerables cost is your tyres. Now thats amazing compared with other cars that are as fast on track.
Also isnt the front 48s LST a harder compound than the rears?
I just wouldn�t mess with something that works

I figure that the only major consumerables cost is your tyres.

Jamie - what about brake pads, brake discs, oil burnt on track (adds up at �40 a carton), additional oil changes and all the other increased wear & tear items?

What I was talking about is in comparison! Look at a Noble, TVR, Radical, M3CSL or a Porche GT3/GT3RS.
Our cost per track day mile is way bellow the above.
The point I was making is the Exige is fast on track but the consumerables by comparison are small. A large part of the performance is thanks to the tyres. So I dont mind paying for a set of rears after 4500miles of fun!

BTW the Yota does not burn oil (still gotta change it though )

OK I agree with regard to the heavier cars, but not sure if the Radical is in the same category - although I do read that they are heavy on maintenance and cost!

I track a Caterham Superlite and that appears to be extremely light on trackday consumables especially tyres.

Mate has a Radical Prosport costs him an arm and a leg! Goes through pads and slicks like nothing else and the mention of engine refreshes turns him green

4500 miles… I wish… with mainly track useage and the drive to and from I’m getting 2500 miles…

a048’s =60 hardness
r888’s = 100 hardness

i think its been mentioned that normal road tyres are 350-400 hardness.
Gav

South240R,
I am guessing from your name thats on a 240R?
If so then that would explain a bit of it
I dread to think how long the rears will last with 280hp

Moving away from 48s would be a shame as a large part of the cars performance is based on them. Plus the car is designed and set up for the LTS 48s. Lotus spent a lot of time finding the best combo of sidewall stiffness and compound.
I figure that the only major consumerables cost is your tyres. Now thats amazing compared with other cars that are as fast on track.
Also isnt the front 48s LST a harder compound than the rears?
I just wouldn�t mess with something that works

Unfortunately February has been an expensive month otherwise I would stick with the 48’s but at a saving of 100 quid on the R888’s means I can go on track at Knockhill on Sat

i think its been mentioned that normal road tyres are 350-400 hardness.

On a 4x4, my crawling round near kerbs would suggest closer to 200-300 for a common-or-garden.

Ian

a048’s =60 hardness
r888’s = 100 hardness

Is that the soft or medium hard?

Yes it is a 240… the soon to be fitted lsd should help, but I think I’m going to try a set of 888’s… I run them on my daily driver mini (265hp) and they do about 8-10K on the front… grip is great… and if they are no good, then I get a couple of sideways track days…

Whos fitting the LSD?

Hopefully Plans… if they ever return a phone call or email…

They are normally very good at customer service

Bought the R888’s in the end.

Straight on track with them this morning, no complaints whatsover, grip was fantastic in the wet and dry. Couldnt get the back end out at all even when trying very hard to provoke some oversteer.

I guess we found each other on the track, didn’t realise it was a fellow Exiger, saw a few more S2 Exiges out there.
Ali was there with the blue one, and apart there were two silver and a black?

Would have been good to put faces to the names.

Anyway, hi, even if late.

Hi Uldis, we spoke briefly just before the start in the pit lane. The black Exige is Ed’s, edp on this forum, dont know who the lads with the yellow ones were. Spoke to Ali at the end for a bit.

Did I see Ian Forrest getting into the drivers seat of your car? Followed you round for a lap or two before you let me by.