That do you take to a track day?

Was curious as to what spairs you guys take to a track?
Does any of you guys take extra fuel? I think my car will be a lot more thirsty
once the SC is fitted so was thinking it might be a good idea. But not that keen on driving along with 5 gallons of fuel on the passenger seat
any ideas?

Jamie

I usually fill a 5 litre petrol container (as well as the fuel tank), at the nearest petrol station to the circuit, before arrival. I then use this at lunchtime to make sure I’ve enough juice to get to a petrol station, where I again fill everything up, using the container to top up at the end of the trackday.

Most circuits have a “local” petrol station, to which you can nip out to during the lunch break.

I also need my 5 can of fuel for the last SIDC afternoon. If it were dry i dont think i would have needed it but as wet i didnt need to pit.

I have been stopped twice from doing more track miles at KH due to fuel
The nearest super is quite a few miles away
Normally end up practicaly free wheeling into the petrol station

tyre pressure guage and pump, tyre pyrometer.

Depending whose trackdays you do there may be mechanical support available, ie, Bookatrack always have Blink in attendance and they can sort any niggles, look at any problems, or even service your car on the day.

Some tools, a trolley jack and spare brake pads. Unbelievable how fast I go through them

Ah, pyrometer and pressure gauge are a must!

I don’t carry a jerrycan, I just go to the filling station every hour or so

I normally take everything. lol. I guess my view is I would rather take it and not need it than need it and not take it. As I trailer my car to track days, I may as well fill my Tranny Van up with as many spares and tools and fuel and spare wheels and tyres as I can!!

Basics though I guess are what everyone has already mentioned. Foot pump, accurate tyre pressure gauge and fuel.

There is a fuel station actually in the paddock at Donnington, but in my experiance its only open about 30% of the time. I drive to Donnington via the M42 and I know for definite there is not a fuel station between the motorway and the track.

Take as much stuff as you can carry,if its a track day 3/4 fuel and some extra in plastic 5L cans.Just wedge them so they cant move.As Uldis said brake pads are a MUST plus the tools to fit them.Apart from that … enjoy

Uldis, Happy Birthday BTW!

Anyone take rear toe links or other stuff that is likely to break on track?

Uldis, Happy Birthday BTW!

Yay! only… 44 today!

Happy Birthday

Anyone take rear toe links or other stuff that is likely to break on track?

You would be pretty much fecked if a toe-link went while your out on track I would have thought, this would be quite a major failure and not something you could fix at the track ( you may not even have a car left if you hit something when it goes!).

Yes definately as Uldis says - spare brake pads. These actually are not all that easy to spot when they are on there way out either. I have found that it is the inside pads on the n/s are go first. I got all the way down to the backing plate on the rears n/s before noticing there was no pad material left, luckily it never damaged the disk.

Uldis,

Happy birthday to you,
Squashed tomatoes and stew,
bread and butter in the gutter,
happy birthday to you!!!

I tend to take:

2x jerry cans of SUL
1x toolbox, tyre pump, pressure gauge, spare set of pads, jump leads, low-entry jack, WetWipes

Happy Birthday to Uldis !!

The Car!
And sometimes myself

You would be pretty much fecked if a toe-link went while your out on track I would have thought, this would be quite a major failure and not something you could fix at the track ( you may not even have a car left if you hit something when it goes!).

That is unless you take an Edwards with you! Following a quick trip to an Anglesey marine workshop, I witnessed a toe-link fixed on an S1 (bolt shreaded) in double quick time.

I was in front of the car when it went and it was comical watching a supercharged S1 spinning across the grass behind me (I can admit to that as everything worked out).

To be honest, perhaps for those with original toe-links it may be worth carrying a spare bolt.

I was also there when a toe-link went on an early S2. That was patched up quite easily too.

Ian

How can I tell whether I have original or uprated toelinks?

How can I tell whether I have original or uprated toelinks?

Ask Brendan

Thanks guys!

Happy birthday to you,
Squashed tomatoes and stew,
bread and butter in the gutter,
happy birthday to you!!!

I like it!

And Ian, didn’t Brendan’s car have already uprated toe links and that’s the one that went?
The originals don’t have a blt that you can replace, you replace the whole ball joint.
In his case it was either the blt that was duff or it was torqued incorrectly.

That has been the only one that I’ve seen go, never seen anoriginal one go unless it was mine at Cadwell, spinning over a curb.
It didn’t snap like Brendan’s, but bent.
Replaced with another original and did many trackdays since.

Now have the TADTS ones, yes, with a bolt (but looks like a good one )

Uldis, you’re thinking of somebody else. I never touched the toe links on my car. They’re the originals, and I’ve never had a failure. Probably because I only ever did 2 track days in that car.

Oh, and BTW, Happy Birthday