Suspension upgrades??

[quote=C1RVY]So, from the comments above, Ohlins would seem to need to be twice as good as the Nitrons, to justify that cost, or am I missing something. I’m no demon driver, so I guess the Nitron NTR would be ok for me. At about �1000 brand new, they seem sensible as an upgrade for me, unless again, I’m missing something.

What would Ohlins provide that Nitrons wouldn’t??

[/quote]

The worlds best damper manufacturer… Upgrade your Ducati to a sport, they fit Ohlins. Lamborghini Avantadore , big fat Ohlins…You’d have to ask Nitron what super car Italian exotica they put there dampers on…thats not saying they are better or worse but I can easily come to a conclusion based on those facts.

[quote=C1RVY]So, from the comments above, Ohlins would seem to need to be twice as good as the Nitrons, to justify that cost, or am I missing something. I’m no demon driver, so I guess the Nitron NTR would be ok for me. At about �1000 brand new, they seem sensible as an upgrade for me, unless again, I’m missing something.

What would Ohlins provide that Nitrons wouldn’t??

[/quote]

Not much for occasional track and mostly road, or mine for less than �1k :wink:

My use is generally going to be track though, rather than road.

Would that change things??

Its pretty hard to describe what is essentially quite a subjective thing. I guess if investing in dampers did not allow you to go faster then pro race teams would not spend so much on them.

Get yourself booked in for Donny next month, I’m sure there will be a few variants there to get a pax in…

thing is, for a regular TD goer (but no demon driver) would a ohlin 1way be preferable over a 2 way nitron?

Is rebound set static on 1 ways? or does it track with damping?

My 46mm Nitrons were �1750 + fitting etc - cheapest 46mm Ohlins are over a grand more than that and I think 10% better - although how do you define better ?

I don’t think Sean would be noticebly quicker through the corners on track in my car V his car - forget the bhp difference

I know that my Nitrons perform better than the std 36mm 2 way Ohlins that came standard on my car - although that might be springs and valving rather than a better damper

The bottom line is that other than driver training the best money spent is on dampers and brakes - they give you the biggest bang for your buck

[quote=Muu]thing is, for a regular TD goer (but no demon driver) would a ohlin 1way be preferable over a 2 way nitron?

Is rebound set static on 1 ways? or does it track with damping? [/quote]

Most would say a 1 way 46mm Ohlin will outperform a 46mm 2 way Nitron.

2 ways are a pain in the ass - you spend all your time fiddling rather than enjoying the car - 1 ways are easy to setup as Sean has said

Sorry guys, but what’s the meaning of 1 way or 2 way in this context?

Also, I’ve noted that the Nitron NTRs come as Track Day Pro, Track Day 1 way or Track Day 1 way, or Track Day 2 way, or even Fast Road?? What does it all mean & what should I be going for??

Cheers ( & I’ll try to make this the last of the questions )

2 ways have individual adjustment for bump and rebound and they are the best way to go when you really get into it. I have those on my race car. My S2 is just for track days and B road blasts, so a 1 way is what I wanted for ease of adjustment. However the 1 way settings are based on my race car 2 way settings, so I have the settings of my 2 ways built into my 1 ways.

The biggest difference I have noticed between Ohlins and Nitrons is how much more adjustable Ohlins are and how much easier it is to get the setup and balance right. I have driven and set up a load of Nitron cars and raced them too, and you just dont get the feed back and the feel from a Nitron that you do with an Ohlin, and I’m no demon driver either.

All just my opinion of course

OK - I’ll try to explain

One way means that you can only adjust the firmness of the damper travel - the bump. The other piece which is adjustable with a 2 way damper is the speed at which the damper recovers or resets - the rebound.
1 ways are easy to use because you just siffen then up for TD’s and soften them off for the drive home - simples !!!

On a one way damper the manufacturer has pre determined this pressure setting (rebound) - with a 2 way you can adjust this

This is why it’s easy to spend years adjusting 2 way dampers - you adjust the bump but the rebounds wrong - so you adjust the rebound and then the bumps wrong :crazy:

Most people with 2 ways only ever adjust the bump and leave the rebound alone

I don’t think it’s worth getting into 3 way details :wink:

Speak to John @ JSR when he gets back and he’ll sort you out based on what your needs/budget is :wink:

For some light reading in the meantime - http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f295/effect-suspension-changes-494/

I need to chip in here Chris with regards 2 way 36mm Ohlins, as I�ve been running these for 3-4 years and have offered them C1RVY in the PM I sent him earlier. I�m in no rush to sell them and the �850 I�ve offered I believe is a bargain, as you�ve said they are like hens teeth…If I seem pushy to him it�s just my enthusiasm and passion showing as I think they are the dogs nuts!

I have run the Lotus spec 36 mm Ohlins using these recommended settings…they include Donnington, Spa & Cadwell etc. I also use the Lotus own 240R track & road settings although mostly default to track for road use to and from any circuit and leave them in 240R track for Anglesey. I think having used and changed them regularly that these are a great place to start as there is always a default to return to if you choose to become more adventurous on a slippy cold morning at Donny for instance…or a wet Silverstone…and end up softening them off a couple of clicks here and there.

I can even take Craners and Eau Rogue FLAT…just kidding
:smiley:

[quote=chrisexigegt]
This is why it’s easy to spend years adjusting 2 way dampers - you adjust the bump but the rebounds wrong - so you adjust the rebound and then the bumps wrong :crazy:[/quote]

Sorry dude but that is just wrong!

Adjustment of bump and rebound individually correct different handling and balance traits. Just because you adjust the one, it does not effect the other in any way.

I agree though that people dont actually ‘adjust’ their adjustable dampers enough. Everyone just drives around a badly handling car, rather than spending the time to start from scratch and set the car up. When racing we had different settings fro each circuit and would adjust dependant on weather conditions. Only once you start dong this do you get an understanding of how everything works and I find it has given me a whole new understanding and enjoyment in setting the car up on track.

Have a look at the Ohlins website, it explains there what is different about Ohlins and how they work etc etc.

Sorry for a hijack, how much is the 46mm 1 way or 2 ways Ohline for the S1? i guess they are the similar spec? cheers

Sorry Sean I know it doesn’t affect the pressure setting but it does affect the overall handling - us muppets on a TD can’t tell which change has done what it’s proper confusing

When I had my 2 ways after lots of fookin around I set the rebound and left it alone and only adjusted the bump

Of course the handling changes you have just adjusted the dampers. However adjusting the rebound does not effect the bump characteristics in any way and vica verca.

And saying you cant feel the adjustment is also weird. What kind of dampers where they. Bet they weren’t Ohlins. You can deffo feel every adjustment you make with those.

This is my point, you can WELL feel the adjustment but I would say it takes time (years) to translate that in your head before you get a proper understanding… My rule of thumb is 2 clicks. With those posted settings it�s a perfect base to try adjustment, based on weather for instance. I would also say that it helps (big time) if run consistent lines, speed & braking etc…you need to be quite disciplined. Which all in all helps you learn to be a better driver.

Edit to say, I�ve asked for settings for my new dampers off someone already and no doubt I�ll be collaring Sean & John fist day out at Donnington next year for help…I�m no whizz this but having somewhere to start I think is a no brainer.

Not saying you can’t feel the difference. It was more about which change had made which difference - surely stiffening the damper will affect how effective the rebound will be, which was my point- probably not as clear as I could have been but was a general comment

Dampers were std 36mm Ohlins on normal Lotus spec springs

I’m no expert on dampers - far from it and there are guys on here - including you Sean who know lots more - I was just trying to answer a question from a guy who is looking for a little ‘layman’ advice :wink:

Do i understand it correctly that you can have 46mm Ohlin rebuilt down the line to convert from 1way to 2 if you want the extra knobs to twiddle?

Yes you can.