Super charger on S2 Exige

Hi, no doubt this has been asked before but has any one ever added a supercharger to a N/A S2 Exige and if so do they have a list of parts etc requrired.

Many thanks Nick…

Firstly komotec turbodrive kit? Bemani?

Other wise you could go to the dealer and buy all the bits for a 240R and bolt them on :-

Swanneck adaptor fittings
Magnason MP62 blow with bypass valve (about �1100)
Fixing plate to manifold
Supercharger outlet elbow
Strut to clutch slave cylinder
Alternator mounting
Chargecooler inlet and outlet ducts + small hoses
Chargecooler radiator + brackets to inlet manifold and cam cover + flexible bellows, adaptor and roof duct
New inlet manifold (�90)
Uprated Injectors (Cup) or Fifth injector(240R) depending on model (or standard injectors if you only planned to make Exige S power but its not worth the hassle)

I doubt Lotus would sell you an ECU unless you gave them a false VIN number (like the one in the showroom!) but I’d fit a DTA S60 for �750 and get it mapped to suit the car (�500) then you are free to modify to your hearts content.

I also wouldn’t bother with the factory air-air chargecooler, it doesn’t actually do very much and they’ve adopted air-water-air on the GT3. Just buy a Bemani or Komotec one air-water-air system.

Sound like a fun project TBH…

Depending on how much power you want to get out of, the MP90 might be the way to go (the one Bemani uses)…

Cheers Phil

Depending on how much power you want to get out of, the MP90 might be the way to go (the one Bemani uses)…

Cheers Phil

Ooooo, dont tell me that, I’ve got an MP90 under my desk…

A Canon Mp90 printer I presume? Not sure if that would work, but one could try…

i believe plans motorsport offer to do the offical lotus supercharger conversion (240 bhp or more) for the n/a cars. Its not cheap though!

Actually i was wondering has anyone on this site gone down this route with there n/a exige and were they happy with the outcome?

A Canon Mp90 printer I presume? Not sure if that would work, but one could try…

No, the real deal, we got one in for a project but never used it and it was just sitting there so I grabbed it. When I measured it up and realised it was a 90 not a 62 I lost interest until just now…

Thanks for all the info I currently have a 2002 elise and have wanted more power for ages but don’t really want to spend money modifying the K series engine also want the harder look of the exige I even concidered trying to find out if you could fit Exige clams to an elise !! (anyone Know!!) also trying to find out if someone had fitted the honda type R engine them selves as I feel that 8ish K is a lot to pay out when you can buy an exige for similar money (including Elise) I think its time to sell the elise and go for modifiying a Exige Many thanks Again Nick…

supercharger to a N/A S2 Exige list of parts etc requrired.

Bemani:
[image]http://www.kumschick.com/lotus/exige_kompressor/bilder/media/5652_001.jpg[/image]

More pics
>here: Bemani installation<

>Clip of mine in action< Apparently it is more like 275bhp than 265 (and the Ruf turbo is actually 437bhp):

M90 has a lot of potential just look at the Red Motorsport cars (320hp) but the engine might need strengthening.
I have always found that I like an n/a engine’s power delivery.
The roots type charger - as in the Bemani and Lotus SCs gives such an amazing midrange that the top end under whelms you after the mid end punch. Great on road but on track it feels a little less satisfying I have been told that the Honda SCed cars are similar in power delivery.
If I ever get SC power again I would be tempted by the Rotrex almost turbo like power curve where it just gets crazier and crazier!
Some nut job has put two Rotex SC on a Honda Civic Type-R and got something silly like 500hp
Sounds like fun

Okay, so we need to do a bulk buy of Forged Pistons too, $399 a set (�220?) + vat/duty and postage from the states at �60 a consignment (several sets so �15 per set if we buy 4 sets).

Would you not need some sleeves too? Would not trust those fancy coated ones in the Yotas block.

Would not trust those fancy coated ones in the Yotas block.

Depends if you work for the company who make the pistons…

If you are considering fitting a supercharger to an NA Exige - speak to Plans Motorsport. We have now managed to get the price down to a figure where fitting the factory kit becomes very attractive compared to the aftermarket options.

If you are considering fitting a supercharger to an NA Exige - speak to Plans Motorsport. We have now managed to get the price down to a figure where fitting the factory kit becomes very attractive compared to the aftermarket options.

How much Graham, interested for the future. Did you get my email re other bits?

Been checking out the MP90, blower not printer, came across these web sites for those interested.

MP90 Tech details

And for anyone wondering how superchargers cope with partial throttle openings at high RPM.

By pass values

The MP90 seems seriously oversized for a mere 1.8. Next job is to measure the size of all the pulleys and see what speed it’s spinning at and hence determine it’s operation range on those charts.

Wonder why Bemani choose M90 and not the smaller MP62 ? Not complain tho, they have done a decent engineering job !

the bolt on bits is the easy part and cheap

say 3k for every thing needed to build a complete kit.

the main problem is mapping the ECU to work with the can bus.

We could all knock out S/C kits but I would spend your time on ECU mapping and pin outs before you start buying pistons etc because if you cannot make that work all you have is a bag of bits.

The can bus is something to think about but the signals Lotus use will all be fairly simple stuff. We’ve got a department at work which deals with CAN and OBD and the DTA works with CAN too… still tempted.

The MP90 is used to make up for the pressure drop in the long plumbing run from the blower into intercooler and then into the too large for supercharger application stock intake manifold…no other reason…Now if you want your stock ECU tuned just tell me what you would like it to play…No timing like the right timing…you can fuel some people some of the time but you can’t fuel all the people all of the time…cam timing ? But of course…You just have to know the right people…because Lotus won’t sell you a tune so you have to do it your self…great marketing Lotus…Oh yeah so far 290rwhp [335bph] 13.3psi and more to come with no help from Lotus

There still appears to be a total lack of performance upgrades for the “S” in the UK hopefully conversation like these will spur someone on to crack the ECU over here to give all us “S” owners the extra power we desire