Stock S ECU upgrades

As a potential new S buyer I’m interested in the options for ECU upgrades… Ive read about making the car more driveable, ie lowering the cam change to 5500 rpm and generally giving it more torque in the lower range… the car will prolly never be tracked and is intended for road use… What are some of the mainstream options and would that void my warranty? Thanx!

The “S” (I assume Exige-S) alreary has a much lower cam-change. There are no ECU updates for it.

The ECU upgrade you are refering to is for the standard NA car.

The “S” (I assume Exige-S) alreary has a much lower cam-change. There are no ECU updates for it.

The ECU upgrade you are refering to is for the standard NA car.

Wrong again. …call Sector 111, upgrades for the S will be out soon with great rwhp numbers…Gotham

Frank,

The upgrade you mention is a non-lotus ECU upgrade. I’m sure it’s great (as charlie is involved), but will it be fit for the EU ECU (which seems to be different, hence the FF problems at Weltmeister).

Nico

Who said it’s not the stock ECU ? It will work with any and I mean any “S”, this is too cool…[no cutting, no piggybacks,no Bull Shite]…Forcefeds attempt is a joke …Gotham

Frank,
I already thought my expression could be “misread”. I meant: a non lotus upgrade for the stock ECU. Good to hear that it will be avai for every version.

Nico this is good stuff…I wish I had an S before I started…

Wrong again. …call Sector 111, upgrades for the S will be out soon with great rwhp numbers…Gotham

On which account was I wrong?

• The ECU the OP was refering to (change to 5500 rpm) isn’t one for the “S” → FACT

• There are no “mainstream” ECU options available at the moment → FACT

• Any ECU upgrade other than by Lotus will most likely void warranty. → FACT

The Upgrade that will come from Sector111, a company based in the US, also raises some questions: What’s with warranty in Europe/Britain, price, what exactly is part of the tune etc?

On which account was I wrong?

• The ECU the OP was refering to (change to 5500 rpm) isn’t one for the “S” → FACT

• There are no “mainstream” ECU options available at the moment → FACT

• Any ECU upgrade other than by Lotus will most likely void warranty. → FACT

The Upgrade that will come from Sector111, a company based in the US, also raises some questions: What’s with warranty in Europe/Britain, price, what exactly is part of the tune etc?

You are wrong on all counts again… Let’s see there are at least 40 cars in the US with upgraded stock ECU’s with many more to come for the 05-06-07 Elise/Exige, proper performance tune with variable cam change and timing for N/A and supercharged cars…Hell a company based in the Switzerland raises some questions as to where they ripped off Lotus for their ECU for their BS supercharger kit…The only test Bemani passed was smog there is no test for power Duh…Warranties are for babbies…Gotham

Frank - pls can you simply answer the original question?

On the S Lotus have retained the std Toyota injectors. This pegs the maxiumum power as they are maxed out at the top end. Some power curves show a worrying tendency to lean off at the top end (those particular curves were on a car with a modded exhaust and ITG airbox). An ex Lotus engineer also confirmed this to me.

If you want to increase bottom end torque then you will need to increase boost by fitting a smaller pulley to the supercharger, this will increase torque at all speeds so you’ll get a higher power output too. So you’ll need larger injectors too.

So I’d see if Plans could source you a Cup ECU, pulley and injectors - you could maybe even go for the Cup 255 spec, that’d be a good increase? Wont be cheap though.

At the end of the day, just chipping an S with no other mods wont do you much good.

On the S Lotus have retained the std Toyota injectors. This pegs the maxiumum power as they are maxed out at the top end. Some power curves show a worrying tendency to lean off at the top end (those particular curves were on a car with a modded exhaust and ITG airbox). An ex Lotus engineer also confirmed this to me.

If you want to increase bottom end torque then you will need to increase boost by fitting a smaller pulley to the supercharger, this will increase torque at all speeds so you’ll get a higher power output too. So you’ll need larger injectors too.

So I’d see if Plans could source you a Cup ECU, pulley and injectors - you could maybe even go for the Cup 255 spec, that’d be a good increase? Wont be cheap though.

At the end of the day, just chipping an S with no other mods wont do you much good.

Bob,

It’s correct that the CUP versions have different (larger) injectors. The ECU swap that came with the GT-pack on mine also included the CUP255 injectors (with 8 nozzles). The biggest difference in mapping between an S and a CUP is on the top end.

What I don’t know is how rich or how lean Lotus has mapped. It is quite possible that due to regulations the ECU was mapped " greeny" to find the required output. If you’re going for more power, hence adjust timing and fueling, you may distord this balance.It will still pass MOT (hopefully), but will not meet the requirements of the Euro IV-norm.This kind of mapping can be done without fitting larger injectors.

Would I do this? I’d have to see the numbers, but on forehand NO. I would like to know myself how marginal LOTUS has designed the fueling system.

Nico

A usa map will never work in the UK this is proven by FF and Komotec kits which have had problems.

Any one you buys a ECU tune from the USA to work in the uk is taking a massive risk

It wasn’t mapped greeny when its on full load. All cars on the road today produce masses of HC and CO when wide open (out of the area the EU cert is tested at).

It was mapped “cheapy” as they didn’t fork out for new injectors

Simple, Bob if any mod is found to be the cause of a malfunction your warrantee is void on the part in question, here in the US…for example if your aftermarket supercharged 300hp engine rips your trany to shreds, it’s your fault…if a bad tune toasts your engine it’s your fault, but if the waterpump fails it’s not and so on …cause and effect…If you don’t have faith in the aftermarket parts by all means leave it stock…

By changing the euro S injectors to US spec 430’s[cup 240/255] you will need a ECU retune no big deal…pulleys are the same…

A usa map will never work in the UK this is proven by FF and Komotec kits which have had problems.

Any one you buys a ECU tune from the USA to work in the uk is taking a massive risk

You have to stop with the second hand missinformation and BS, your talkin out your ass on this topic…Forcedfed use a Unichip piggy back that doesn’t work and Komo-tech are using a crap old Lotus 240R tune maped for a MP62 not a Rotrex, big difference in the mid range a no brainer…The tunes Lotus uses are world tunes with small changes in the ECU no biggy…By using an improved tune there is no differance just better performance

Komotec have many tunes so I am sure its not a 240R map

Komotec have many tunes so I am sure its not a 240R map

Are you willing to put a few bucks down on that I am…and I don’t gamble…

I’m getting tired of reading posts like this…every post is becoming a p!ssing contest, my ECU is better than your ECU and so on. Nothing is proven in the UK yet so stop telling us how wonderful your US solutions are. Bemani have more conversions running than your ‘one off’, they may not have an independant dyno sheet but to be honest I’d much rather buy a kit from them than from someone who comes across as arrogant, narrow minded and unprofessional.

Frank - all credit for what you’ve done. Your attitude is putting me off buying anything from you. Imagine if my UK kit didn’t work and I had issues - would I get to listen to your wonderful support and attitude? or would I get a response like a UK vendor did from Forced Fed?

hear hear!! lose the attitude and maybe more people would listen to what you have to say.

I’m getting tired of reading posts like this…every post is becoming a p!ssing contest, my ECU is better than your ECU and so on. Nothing is proven in the UK yet so stop telling us how wonderful your US solutions are. Bemani have more conversions running than your ‘one off’, they may not have an independant dyno sheet but to be honest I’d much rather buy a kit from them than from someone who comes across as arrogant, narrow minded and unprofessional.

Frank - all credit for what you’ve done. Your attitude is putting me off buying anything from you. Imagine if my UK kit didn’t work and I had issues - would I get to listen to your wonderful support and attitude? or would I get a response like a UK vendor did from Forced Fed?

Look if it works here it will work anywhere all the tunes are set at a base octane rating for the world market. That’s right we tested US,Brit,Jap and Costa Rican ECU’s… What’s with you guys that don’t know squatt about the topic following the lemmings down the same path…I don’t want you to take me out to dinner and swap spit with me…I’m just telling it like it is, if pipe dreams and BS is what you crave then then hire a hooker because you’ll get a better blow job from her then you’ll get from those kits…I’m just tellin you the truth about the products out there… How can you have a pissing contest with only one side…hell I’m ready bring em on…Bemani may have more than 25 kits out there, nobody knows…so far only one independent dynosheet in all the known Lotus world and a pittiful showing of 206rwhp…and you would buy a Bemani kit because he’s a nice guy ?..If you want proof ask Bemani or Komo-tech they’re calling us

Oh, and by the way I’m not sellin anything just stating facts