Squeeks n Rattles driving me CRAZY !

Have now had my Exige S2 for 2 weeks and I adore it but … the squeeks and rattles are driving me crazy.

Can anybody tell me

1. Can I have it looked at and fixed at any lotus dealer (i.e. doesn’t have to be where I bought it which is 220 miles away).
  2. I am the second owner as I bought a 5 month old one so … will the dealer/lotus give a damn ? My nearest dealer didn’t have the color I wanted so went elsewhere but unrealistic to have it serviced where bought.

I’ve done the Ferrari/Porsche thing and this Exige is better than any of them (handles better, don’t feel like I’m getting mugged when I fill her up) except for build quality … squeeksville …

In detail:

1. Mice living in roofspace somewhere …
  2. Rattle to right hand side. Maybe from door ?
  3. Incredibly annoying tinny rattle (stuck 10 pence ?) from centre area at 70 mph. I axtually tried to take it apart whilst driving on the motorway as insanity was beckoning …
  4. Various other squeeks.

Never known anything like it :0) Helppppp …

Big thanks,

Dom

Its not clear to me from your post whether you actually bought it from a main dealer or not. However, if there is any warranty on the car, then its got to be worth considering taking it back to where you got it from.

I’m no expert on the S2 but seem to have read that there are certain fixes (search on keywords like “roof” “squeak” etc to find these.

However, my experience of an S1 and main dealers leads me to believe that for issues such as this, they park your car around the back, leave it a couple of days and then ring you to tell you its all sorted…only to have all the noise issues appear on the drive home.

It may be the only real result is to adopt an “Uldis” attitude - DIY . That way you know exactly what is being done to your car and what the fixes are. You can then share your knowledge on here and become a bonafide Exiges member .

Finally, there may be some noises that you will never remove - TADTS - and you will have to accept that they are part of the character of the vehicle…I have actually worried that there is something wrong with my car when I have not heard a “Yip” on a drive!!!

Cheers Steve. Yep I’m thinking the DIY route. I think I’ll be sticking with Exiges from now on i.e. my next car will be an Exige too as I like it that much - so would be good to know it inside out. Luckily I’m a bit deaf from a mis spent youth ;0)
Was bought from Stratstone in Leicester but I’m in North Wales (opposite the Anglesey track that TopGear(?) use … hmmmm … an idea ;0).
Have found some pins on Ebay that the seller says will stop the door knocking noises. Judging by their feedback they appear to work. I’ll give them a try too.
Exige really is an awesome experience. The handling causes a permanent grin … and makes me realise my driving skills are pure amateur …

[quote]Have found some pins on Ebay that the seller says will stop the door knocking noises. Judging by their feedback they appear to work. I’ll give them a try too.[quote]

Can you post a link - I’ve not heard of this problem before?

Do you ever get the chance to see any of the Fith Gear filming there?

Fifth Gear that’s the one. Nope never been to see the track but heard it’s good. Some days you can hear the racing as I live on the side of the hills/mnts opposite - that’s how I first found out about it.

Here’s a link to the bolts:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELISE-EXIGE-VX220-ANTI-RATTLE-DOOR-STRIKER-KIT_W0QQitemZ4583484229QQcategoryZ27375QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Haven’t bought any yet as still haven’t decided how deep I wish to dig taking stuff apart … my guess is once you start you sometimes find it hard to stop :0)

As explained in ebay, the door pin fix is only when the rubber loses its strength, so the car being new I would guess it doesn�t need them.

The rattling in the doors, I had it, and the dealer just said it was normal.
I removed the door liner to check it out and saw how the window glass should have been held on: 3 bolts and nuts, but it was missing one nut! Hence the rattling.
Nut fitted, problem gone. In your case it could be that or they may have left osmething in there (that happens).

Regarding the roof squeak, the S1 doesn�t have it, so can�t comment, but it seems to be a common thing in S2�s and I think there is a known fix.

The penny noise, it could be actually a penny, or a pin, clip or small stone. Remember that having an alloy chassis exposed, and no sound absorption, any of these things that you would not hear on another car, would be easily spotted in our cars. Suggest you disassemble what cover you can and vacuum every once in a while.

Welcome to the joys of Exige ownership.
Yes, it a little work here and there, but the drive more than compensates for the effort.
Call it �bonding� or �quality� time with your car

PS Roads are ABYSMAL round here - all ‘Unnamed’ and covered in a thin layer of rocks so …
First bit of DIY; a dremel and some boat epoxy to replace the piece of front wing removed by a passing boulder :0)))
PPS If there is ever an Exige track day at Anglesey can somebody please let me know…

Thanks Uldis. The vacuuming is a great idea.
I’m totally sold on the Exige. Everything about it is so unique. The construction (bar the squeeks ;0) is like nothing I have seen before. It grows on me more every day and is becoming like a second skin !

It has a stereo and I’ve a 2GB SD card on the way so I guess I’ll just turn the music up …

Thanks for the link - the problem is a new one to me. My Exige is over 5 years old and I don’t think I have this problem…but I’ll check again more closely when I’m out this weekend.

Most of the feedback appears to be about the process of buying from him on ebay rather than the item being a quality solution.

I’m a little sceptical that the fix for deformed door rubbers should be a new catch. If the door rubber is the source of the problem then I would want to fix that, rather than mask it with a new door pin.

Thanks for the link - the problem is a new one to me. My Exige is over 5 years old and I don’t think I have this problem…but I’ll check again more closely when I’m out this weekend.

Most of the feedback appears to be about the process of buying from him on ebay rather than the item being a quality solution.

I’m a little sceptical that the fix for deformed door rubbers should be a new catch. If the door rubber is the source of the problem then I would want to fix that, rather than mask it with a new door pin.

Good advice. I’ll wait until the 9K service and ask them then. I don’t mind paying to find the gremlins. Okay off to play ;0)

Regarding the door pin issue, my understand is that early S2s and VX220s were fitted with a door striker pin that was too thin to do the job. I believe Lotus have rectified this, and that was probably before the Exige S2 was launched. AFAIK this shouldn’t be a problem on any Exige.

My S2 Exige has a couple of annoying noises. There a loud, plasticy sounding squeak that I’ve only heard a couple of times so far. I have no idea where it’s coming from, and it only seems to do it while braking on a very bumpy road.

Theres a rattle/knocking sound from the rear on driver’s side which is quite noticable when going very slowly which I always notice when going down my drive. It wouldn’t have bothered me in my S1, but the S2 is so refined otherwise that it really stands out.

One thing I forgot to mention is a general spanner check every so often. I have lost count of the number of undertray bolts, clam fasteners, etc thast I have either lost or found loose.

PPS If there is ever an Exige track day at Anglesey can somebody please let me know…

A few of of us are there with http://www.tracksport.co.uk
on 5th November (camping there on the night before for bbq & fireworks - why not join us?)

Theres a rattle/knocking sound from the rear on driver’s side which is quite noticable when going very slowly which I always notice when going down my drive. It wouldn’t have bothered me in my S1, but the S2 is so refined otherwise that it really stands out.

Yep I’ve got that exact same one. The one at the front is the insanity causing one. I can live with the others. Definitely going to take her apart a bit. Could easily be a 10 pence piece, a washer etc … sure does vibrate BIG TIME when it gets going …

One thing I forgot to mention is a general spanner check every so often. I have lost count of the number of undertray bolts, clam fasteners, etc thast I have either lost or found loose.

Well she’s more than just a car to plant in the driveway so I’ll learn how she works and … take her to bits … I’m nearly 40 so have to be careful not to have a bag of bits left over when I put her back together … my poor memory you see :0)))

Please let us know what you find.

[A few of of us are there with http://www.tracksport.co.uk
on 5th November (camping there on the night before for bbq & fireworks - why not join us?)
]
Wow that is mega. Do you have your own forum where you discuss get togethers ? Is it a regular meet up ?
Hmm … back down to earth for a moment … I think I’d write her off on a track … inexperienced but fearless … not a great combination :0)
Going to read up at that link now.
Big thanks Mr Pesky !
PS Got a quad track at my place on the hill opposite so maybe we could have some quadding and gentlemen’s teas on the lawn sometime too (after Exiging) ;0)) Be great to pick the brains of other Exige owners.
One last question … can I turn up and just watch to begin with ?

Dom

No probs to turn up & watch, You can also get passenger rides, but you’ll have to cough up �20 for the day to do that.

Dom

No probs to turn up & watch, You can also get passenger rides, but you’ll have to cough up �20 for the day to do that.

Think it’s all on Mr Pesky ! Either taking my missus or a friend. If I take my missus then I’ll most likely end up being a passenger (in someone else’s motor ;0)
I’ll be in a black (squeeky) Exige S2 if that narrows it down so be sure to say hello in case I get nerves about being a newbie ;0)

Dom

All booked Mr Pesky. See you there. Can’t wait.
PS I reserve the right to be ‘a big girl’ and go at a snail’s pace …
PPS Great to talk with so many friendly people - and all Exigers. Makes the car choice I made 2 weeks ago seem even more perfect. Okay I’ll stop gushing now … just excited …