spec of gearbox

hi guys done a search and havent found anything
is the box in a s1 exige a pg1 but close ratio if so what other car shares this
cheers in advance
mike

also does the elise ap clutch fit hope so as i have bought one from elise parts for when i slips dont want it going at spa in august

Yes it’s a PG1.

CR gearbox also used in 111s, Rover/MG ratios different.

Yes, Elise clutch will fit.

cheers mate

Hi everybody,

having just driven the Nurburgring Grand Prix course with my Mk1 190 Exige , I have found that the standard PG1 gearbox does not work to well on the track . The question is, what to do, Lotus UCR or something different from third party supplier. Before changing things I’d like to get a feel for what you guys have done.

Question 2, LSD seems a further upgrade that would benefit the car, any expereience with the Lotus part or third party suppliers?

Thanks

Tom

welcome.

I have the same spec car as you and would agree that it does feel badly geared on some circuits.

Those that have gone down the ucr route (do a search here and you should find plenty of threads) have said that it makes a big difference. I also track a Caterham Superlite and that has a superb 6 speed ucr box, which I imagine is how the ucr in the Exige would feel. Albeit, I’m comparing apples to oranges.

I think the downside is the high revs you will have to suffer on the road, especially if you do any high speed motorway on a regular basis.

With regard to an LSD - do you really feel its necessary? Conventional or collective wisdom would suggest that our cars need more power, alot more power before one is required.

I use a Quaife 6 speed sequential box that has very close ratios. 1st is good for 60mph and 6th at the limiter is about 145mph. They do this box in a H pattern as well I think. I have rattled on , on here many times about my box, it is without doubt the best mod I have done to the car, the ratios are awesome and the speed of the change is great.

As far as an LSD goes, I have a Quaife ATB lsd in mine, but it has been built to Plans Motorsport spec, which means different ramp angles to suit our cars.

HTH

Sean…

I put the UCR gears in my S1 (now in the hands of SteveJ and Fiona). I found it to be excellent. It definately feels faster, and more fun if only because you’re changing up more often.

It’s a bit noisy on motorways, but it’s not a huge difference, and the car’s not exactly quiet as standard

I’m sure Sean’s setup is even better, but if price is a factor, you could do a lot worse than getting the UCR.

In the following tables, C1 is the ratio, C2 is the speed (mph) per 1000rpm WITH 17" WHEELS (24" rolling diameter) and C3 is the % drop in revs changing up:

Standard ELISE S1 gearbox:
Ratio 1000 Drop
3.17 5.86
1.84 10.08 42%
1.31 14.20 29%
1.03 17.97 21%
0.77 24.27 26%
Final drive 3.938

Lotus “Close Ratio” box (NB not the same as the MG TF box)
Ratio 1000 Drop
2.92 5.96
1.75 9.95 40%
1.31 13.32 25%
1.03 16.85 21%
0.85 20.53 18%
Final drive 4.2

Quaiffe ultra close ratio straight cut gear set with long 1st gear (the normal 1st gear is 3:1):
Ratio 1000 Drop
2.62 7.10
1.94 9.58 26%
1.56 11.93 20%
1.27 14.58 18%
1.04 17.80 18%
Final drive 3.938

Note that if you use the UCR gears from Quaiffe you are best sticking with the standard final drive ratio. This gives you roughly the same engine revs in 5th as you get in the standard gearbox in 4th gear. Makes long distance driving noisy, but it’s perfect for racing with nice even rev drop. FYI absolute theoretical top speed at 8000rpm in 5th is 142mph. You won’t get there on any circuit in the UK except with a strong tailwind.

IMHO there isn’t a lot to be gained by going for a straight cut final drive (slightly more efficient, slightly less heat generation, much noisier) and you might as well get it built into a standard gearbox casing.

I put in the Quaiffe TorSen LSD at the same time and it is good, but frankly you rarely need it in an Elise, even over 200BHP. If you can afford it, do it, if not, don’t panic.

AP clutch cover and plate are fine.

I have an ATB in my exige, running the audi with over 300 bhp and I find it hard to lose traction (wet Silverstone does not count)… That’s my vote for the LSD in a powerful car!!

As regards ramp angles, I’m not sure how much difference they might make in my particular application, and how does one judge ???

The Audi box is a six speed H pattern, and the change is not as fast as I would like… At times you go through the revs so fast you find that the gearchange is the hardest part of the driving…

Also, with all the power, it is easy to run out of revs on a bend, leading to a need to change up halfway round, which is not recommended…

In the days of my old K series, that almost never happened!!!

Sccond is only good for 56 mph, using 7,000 rpm as a limit, which b@gg@rs up the 0-60 time. One day I will get the engine rebuilt with a steel bottom end and use 8,000 rpm and then things will be better, but the ultimate cure may be a dsg box, perhaps???

Has anyone driven a dsg equiped car yet ??

Do they make a sequential for the audi application, cos I can’t find one listed anywhere ??

Hi all. I still have an ultra close ratio box for sale if any one is interested. Need to sell so am open to offers(advertised at present for �550)
Cheers Mark

When I had the S1 Exige with the standard g’box, I quite fancied the UCR upgrade, as a similar swap in my modded S1 Elise transformed the car.

As Brendan has said, the downside is the constant high revs in m’way use.

Anyway, to get to my point… …I enquired with Lotus Sport to do a 6 speed conversion on the standard box, to give UCR ratios for the first 5 gears plus a long legged sixth for long journeys. We never got as far as discussing cost, but the Lotus boys were almost falling over themselves with enthusiasm for the job. So if your pockets are deep they may be worth a try.

Tim.

I enquired with Lotus Sport to do a 6 speed conversion on the standard box, to give UCR ratios for the first 5 gears plus a long legged sixth for long journeys. We never got as far as discussing cost, but the Lotus boys were almost falling over themselves with enthusiasm for the job. So if your pockets are deep they may be worth a try.

Tim.

Why couldn’t they just get one out into the market and let it sell on its merits? As a low volume car manufacturer, I thought things like this would be an ideal way to supplement the coffers.

As a low volume car manufacturer, I thought things like this would be an ideal way to supplement the coffers.

Theres the knub - they are a small volume “assembler”, not a manufacturer, anymore.

now im confussed have i cr or ucr i aasume it mean ultra close ratio

Std Exige comes with CR.

Ian

cheers so ucr will be shorter

Yep. Accelerate faster, lower top speed/cruising ear pain.

Ian

Hi everybody

Thks for the replies which I will brood over tonite before making a decision. Motorwaycruising or Autobahn thrashing is a definite nono for me in the car anyway so that aspect can be forgotten.

Re LSD on very tight bends like the entry into the Mercedes Benz Arena even with the (low) power available would make sense.

Re more power, I agree more power would be nice however more talent and practice would be better. The one other mk1 exige on the weekend had the best lap times and the other cars were 95% Cup Exiges compressed either by Lotus or by Bemani. even with my mediocre skills it was no problem holding a cup exige with the Lotus compressor on entry into the pit straight and was only overtaken on the brakes. mine had sadly packed in some time during the day.

So before upgrading power I will try to upgrade skill

Tom

Do they make a sequential for the audi application, cos I can’t find one listed anywhere ??

Yes Mike, you could fit my box straight in your car!! I’m not sure if Quaife do an Audi bellhousing, but a very close friend of mine is on the verge of releasing an Audi conversion for any K series / PG1 equiped car. This conversion uses the standard Rover PG1 gearbox. He has engineered an adaptor plate that fits between the gearbox and the engine and everything just bolts straight up. The good thing here is the audi engine is so short that even with the adaptor plate in situ the whole engien / gearbox is still shorter than with a K series fitted.

Sean…