spec of gearbox

Do they make a sequential for the audi application, cos I can’t find one listed anywhere ??

Yes Mike, you could fit my box straight in your car!! I’m not sure if Quaife do an Audi bellhousing, but a very close friend of mine is on the verge of releasing an Audi conversion for any K series / PG1 equiped car. This conversion uses the standard Rover PG1 gearbox. He has engineered an adaptor plate that fits between the gearbox and the engine and everything just bolts straight up. The good thing here is the audi engine is so short that even with the adaptor plate in situ the whole engien / gearbox is still shorter than with a K series fitted.

Sean…

does that mean youll be going audi with your 6 speen sequentsial

Do they make a sequential for the audi application, cos I can’t find one listed anywhere ??

Yes Mike, you could fit my box straight in your car!! I’m not sure if Quaife do an Audi bellhousing, but a very close friend of mine is on the verge of releasing an Audi conversion for any K series / PG1 equiped car. This conversion uses the standard Rover PG1 gearbox. He has engineered an adaptor plate that fits between the gearbox and the engine and everything just bolts straight up. The good thing here is the audi engine is so short that even with the adaptor plate in situ the whole engien / gearbox is still shorter than with a K series fitted.

Sean…

does that mean youll be going audi with your 6 speen sequentsial

No, I am sticking with the trusty ‘K’

But this conversion is going to be very good, and very cost effictive.

Sean…

did any elise have the cr box

The 135 sport S1 did, & so I believe do all the K series S2’s

Tim.

so the 111s didnt

will the PG1 withstand the high torque an Audi turbo will deliver?

will the PG1 withstand the high torque an Audi turbo will deliver?

Nope! The Audi conversions incl the Audi 6 speed g/box.The only conversion to retain the PG1 is the Duratec one.

so the 111s didnt

Actually yes.Thanks for pointing that out. All S1 111S’s have the CR too.

Tim.

so the 111s didnt

Actually yes.Thanks for pointing that out. All S1 111S’s have the CR too.
so a 111s has same box as exige

Tim.

Yes, thats right. The Exige S1 standard gearbox is the same unit as fitted as a close ratio (CR) box on the S1 Elise Sport135, 111S, & all K series S2’s. It feels different on the S1 Exige due to the rear wheel diameter increase from 16’’ to 17’'.

An S1 Exige with the UCR fitted (& 17’’ wheels) gives very similar gearing to a S1 Elise (16’’ wheels) & the CR box.

HTH.

Tim.

Not so similar …

Close Ratio (Exige standard)
Ratio 16" 17" Drop
2.92 5.81 6.05
1.75 9.70 10.11 40%
1.31 12.99 13.53 25%
1.03 16.44 17.12 21%
0.85 20.02 20.86 18%
4.2 final drive

“Ultra close ratio” (Quaiffe with long 1st)
Ratio 16" 17" Drop
2.62 6.93 7.21
1.94 9.35 9.74 26%
1.56 11.64 12.12 20%
1.27 14.23 14.82 18%
1.04 17.36 18.09 18%
3.938 final drive

In other words, Elise with 16" wheels and CR box does 20mph/1000rpm, Exige with 17" wheels and UCR box does 18mph/1000rpm, both in 5th. Of course the UCR box means you have more usable 1st and 2nd gear ratios.

And yes, I am a pedant …

I have the quaife UCR gearbox in my S1 Exige and it is spot on.The lower top gear makes no real difference on the road to overall noise.

Quaife UCR is semi staight-cut so makes lots of nice gear noise-just like Gran Tourismo!

You have mail

Tom

So… my gearbox doesn’t want to play anymore although I’ll have a better idea of how knackered it is next week. Basically the car just popped out of gear exiting Graham Hill bend the other week, no horrible crunching or anything like that but also no more gears. Managed to free wheel all the way around to the pits and into my garage though which saved some embarrassment.

I’ve spoken with the guys who maintain my car when it’s either beyond my ability to fix or I am too busy and they say it’s almost certainly gearbox internals from the quick look they’ve had. that being the case I’m just trying to learn a bit more about the gearboxes on these cars.

Bear with me because I’m still learning about these cars…correct me if I’m missing anything.

The standard car (S1 Exige) ran the PG1 box with a lotus close ratio gear-set. This was not the same gearset as in the MG/TF box (same housing though I assume), are these of no use at all or are some parts interchangable? I ask because I may be able to source these at a bargain price.

The UCR gear set is better for track work (my only interest)

So that being the case, what kind of money are the different options? Do you get them rebuilt or just replaced? If I get a UCR setup do they use my existing gearbox or do I buy the whole thing or supply a donor etc etc… what do all these things cost? Is Gearbox failure common?

I appreciate I don’t know the severity of my gearbox problem at the moment but I am just trying to learn a little more and figure out my options.

Thanks

I’ll next be out in my car at Oulton Park on the 1st of July.

I’ve spoken with the guys who maintain my car when it’s either beyond my ability to fix or I am too busy and they say it’s almost certainly gearbox internals from the quick look they’ve had.

How did the gearlever feel afterwards, could you still feel the cable moving the various levers, ie, are you sure that it isn’t a linkage problem before diving into the g/box?

Had hoped it was that, but the cables do still move the levers… and it felt like it was going into gear but no drive. As I said no nasty noises if I put it in gear (even when I was free wheeling back to the pits) but no drive at all.

Clutch feels ok under foot, Driveshafts not broken… I dunno but the guys I use (who are also good friends so won’t shaft me) are professionals and will get to the bottom of it.

This was the reason I missed Donington last Saturday.

I’d say speak with Brian Wileman, of BJW transmissions, phone: (1530) 839531 , Ext.258.
He used to do the gearboxes for the MGTF cup cars, and can certainly blueprint PG1’s.
In fact, when my engine was out, I sent him mine just for preventive maintenance (and to fit a Quaife LSD)

I’m sure he’ll be able to give you an accurate answer.

Noted… will look into it some more once the box is off.

Thanks

Mine (std S1) did something similar at Paddock Hill, turned out to the a fused clutch.

Ian