Solution for Toyota Gearbox Problems

Adrian

Please can you let me know what you end up doing in the end? Where you get the gears etc? I’m keen to get my gearbox rebuilt with stronger gears.

Cheers

Mde

My plans are now set in stone, gear set is coming from Jubu racing and JSRacing are doing the rebuild and laminova based oil cooler solution, I’m sure after mine is done they might well market it as a fix if it works ok. :wink:

I’m also having a bit of work done over the next couple of months. Hangar 111 now have a relationship with Jubu and are able to supply and fit these gear sets along with the stronger/shorter final drive, and have options on the cooler.
Suggest you give Greg a call and mention that you’d heard I was having this done.

Cheers
Will

Hello.

I have followed this thread with a lot of interest.
I do own an Exige S 240 and as I plan to upgrade the power to 300 HP, I wanted to know what should be upgraded in the gearbox / clutch in order to handle this power safely.
Most of the use will be street use with some track days.
So, what do you recommend: C-one kit, dog gears, monkeywrench gears, …
Also, do you recommend to install a LSD at the same time? Quaife?
Should I upgrade also the clutch + flywheel as the same time? Which one?

Thanks for your advices.

Fran�ois

The standard clutch will very quickly expire with the power increase so you should look to upgrade that. There are a variety of options with ACT and Fidenza seeing favour.

If you are going to 300 or above then consider the gears highlighed above from Jubu. These are the ones that MWR and Sector 111 are supplying as well. Not sure about the C-One set. Is that tougher or just close ratio? Don’t go for a dog box if you use the car on the road, you’ll regret it.

If considering going further in the future then you might like to look at upgrading the final drive and adding some cooling as well. If you go with the Jubu final drive it will shorten the box across the board, making regular 5th gear and potentially 6th use on longer straights an on track option.

Flywheel is personal preference, but if the whole thing is apart anyway why not. LSD again is preference, but the quaife has a great reputation.

Thanks for your advices.
The jubu kit only concerns the 3rd and 4th gear as I can see.
The C-one is the complete kit 1->6th but I do not know if the gears are reinforced or not… Maybe someone knows here…??

Re the LSD from Quaife, do they have several type of LSD products or is there only one?

The Quaife is a torsen style torque biasing diff. Not aware that they do a plated diff for these cars, although if that’s what you want you can get it direct from Lotus Sport.

Oh, and I’ve now read a bit more about the C-One gearset and it looks too short for a SC car. Something that would be of more interest to those remaining NA and mainly tracking the cars.

Also the C-One gearset is no stronger than standard :frowning:

Today i was at JUBU-racing and talked to Martin. His 3rd and 4th gearset seems to work so fine, that he�s sold out due to the US guys. But he�s producing more of the sets next weeks.
His dogbox for the Toyota seems to work even better, as Klaus gained 2-3 sec a lap with his new dogbox on the slovakiaring.
Martin will bring one dogbox to Lotuscupeurope at Nurburgring and probably to Snetterton.
But as Sean described above: its not recommended for everyday use.

regards from austria
Peter

From what I can gather the 3rd and 4th gears are now in my gearbox, hope to have it in the car in the next couple of weeks, be good to see how it is then :smiley:

Regarding LSD’s, Cusco makes a couple of clutch types. These are fully adjustable and are tuned for use on the MR-S which is mid engined. They work with the 2zz gearbox c64 just fine.

I have a 1.5way cusco type rs on my 2zz powered MR-S.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-type-rs-lsd-diff-zzt-celica-zzw-mr-s-62870

Yeah Ade, your box is done, I think John has arranged to collect it early next week.

Now I am excited, I will ring you next week to try to sort out dropping off the car :slight_smile:

Any update Ade?

Gearbox all done and back with us. Dummied up in the back of my car to decide on positioning and layout.

Cooler spec’d, unions, hoses, fittings all sorted and on their way.

Funky, quiet, low pressure oil pump not in stock for 4 weeks or so. :angry: OE manufacturer who supplies to the guy with the large order/cheque book first.

What about the helical geared pump I sent you the specs for? I can have one of those in 10 days from the USA?

Drove my car with the updated box for the first time today. Just on the road so only first impressions. The new gear ratios are excellent, very evenly spaced. Keeps the revs very even on each change all the way up the box.

I’ve also had the final drive fitted so the whole box is a little bit lower geared. This is going to make 5th gear a regular occurrence for track use. Previously most circuits you might only get into 5th for a few seconds a lap with the exception of the back straight at Snetterton.

Only potential negative for those that use there cars a lot on the road is that it is noisy. This doesn’t bother me, but worth considering if your car is mainly for the road.

Ok, seems interesting, will have mine back soon, how has the other work gone?

Its nearly there now. I’ll do a proper post with the details when I’ve got it back. We’ve had a few problems with the supply of parts and there were some unexpected issues along the way but we’re on the home stretch now. Its certainly a very quick car now. Looking forward to Spa and seeing how it goes when its got a chance to really stretch its legs.