Simple request - Brakes

1. I want to replace all 4 discs on my car (S1 Exige)

2. I don’t want to change the calipers

3. I want to uprate the discs (ie. not just fit new std. items)

4. I don’t want Eliseparts belled jobbies (had a bad experience with them)

5. I don’t want to be paying over say �800 for the set.

6. I ain’t fond of EBCs either (currently warped on my car)

Here’s my cash… somebody… take it !

Suggestions ?

I’m having the same prob at the moment. Dont want EBC or the standard lotus disks and I dont want the elisparts alloy bell setup as ive heard the disks are thinner than standard.

JasonR can get bells made up by his local guy in South Africa (approx �50 each). These then use AP rotors which i think are around (�120 each).

Alternatively, i’ve been looking into the setup Plans motorsport sell. They have two options for the exige:

1. For road/track day use - anodised alloy bells and grooved rotors 282 mm dia, 25.4 mm thick. These are �582 for 4 and can be supplied in sets of two. Replacement rotors are �65 each.

2. For motorsport use - dural bells with AP rotors. These are �875 for 4 and can be supplied individually.

I’m waiting for pics of the road/track day setup, but think i might give them a go

Cheers,

Scott

I most certainly can get some bells made up for you guy’s. Unfortunately although the discs are cheaper they are to heavy to send over at 4.5 KG each they take up all the weight allowance, however bells are no problem.

The current date is 14 July to 20 July this year, and she will be in Kent. Not sure how close that is to anybody so we can try and work something out. That way there are no international transfers and stuff to be made, you guy’s can pay into Annelies sister account in the UK.

Mr Admin would you have any objections to a post in the For Sale section concerning the above so we can sort some numbers out ?

The discs on the Elise Parts ones aren’t the best quality but the are adequate. I’m running them at the moment and they did the job with slicks on at Croft. Ideally you want those bells with bigger, better quality discs which is what I’m planning for when my discs are dead.

Well the replace 282mm discs seem to be a better price to me And I’m happy to keep to that size… I’m really not very keen on the EBC discs, they stop OK, look bling but don’t have that inital bite!

So, not wanting piss on your bonfire here jason, but if you could send me the drawing I could speak to a couple of the peeps I know and see how much it’d be to make up the bells… Unless you want to sort them out, just seems like your poor sister will be carrying quite a few hubs

i don’t have the drawings, i gave the guy one of my old discs and he machined them up accordingly. I doubt he would want to part with the drawing. it’s no problem they are light so we can send quite a few over. They are anodised black not painted and i think he can do silver and bling blue as well.

[image]MWEB Homepage

What about those fancy MDF discs in a recent post, should get about 30 sets out of a sheet. Just need a big enough hole saw and they could be manufactured in less than 2 minutes each.

I’d be up for some of those wooden discs, gotta be cheap and can just nip down to B&Q to get some more

The price of AP discs varies depending on which grade you use - 120 quid buys you the 5000 series only - whilst the 3000 series are about 170 quid each.

There is a reason for the price difference - so pay your money and take your choice

Here is the AP alternative to the std size discs. They are 3.1 Kg’s so plus bells should be no more than 4 Kg’s.

CP3047-276/7

No idea on pricing over there, but i will be putting these on the bck of my car when i get it back one day ,thumbs held.

After a nice chat with Graham at Plans what I’m going to do is…

APs on the front (disc + bells �510 +VAT)
Plans discs on the rear (discs + bells �219 +VAT)

I figured APs on the rear would be overkill (and overexpensive !)

Unfortunately they’re not in stock, but they will be in a week or two… so I have my credit card on hold til then…

Ideally you want those bells with bigger, better quality discs which is what I’m planning for when my discs are dead.

Randy - I have the same setup and would be interested in knowing what alternative discs you source for the Eliseparts bells. I have been through 2 pairs of the cross drilled and grooved discs from Eliseparts and noticed I have micro cracks on both sets of fronts.

After a nice chat with Graham at Plans what I’m going to do is…

APs on the front (disc + bells �510 +VAT)
Plans discs on the rear (discs + bells �219 +VAT)

I figured APs on the rear would be overkill (and overexpensive !)

Unfortunately they’re not in stock, but they will be in a week or two… so I have my credit card on hold til then…

They weren’t in stock when I asked for them weeks ago either, due in a week or so! Strange too how they told me not to mix and match disk types front and back but are now recommending you do (with their own disks).

I was very tempted with their set-up but got uncomfortable when the price suddenly jumped from what was on their website (still there at �749 inc VAT for ali belled APs), plus they told me Lotus used 5000 series disks on the motorsport set-up (and I learned they actually use the more expensive 3000). At the prices you quote for the front, if Plans are using 5000 series rotors then that makes the hubs VERY expensive.

I like the guys but it all got very confusing/frustrating. I’m now hoping on another solution using AP all round (large at the front on std calipers) that should be around your [original] price range.

I assume you’re talking larger 295mm up front, David?

Ian

There’re 3 types of 295mm AP discs that suit the Lotus calipers:
CP5000-510/511 (5.4kg, 24 vane)
CP3124-894/895 G4 (5.1kg, 24 vane)
CP3580-2894/2895 (4.3kg, 48 vane)

CP3124 is what you get with the LM brake kit.

CP5000 is simply the mass-produced version of CP3124, made from the same material. I see no reason to get the CP3214 if you can get the CP5000 for significantly less cash.

CP3580 is just too expensive, at almost double the price of the CP5000.

But if the 5000s wear significantly quicker/perform worse are they really cheaper? The objective is to upgrade the brakes, and there’s been at least one thread recently that’s placed rotor quality right up there in the importance stakes. You pays yer money…

Ian

Well, when I asked the local AP dealer about the 3124 a while back, he raised an eyebrow, and asked me why not go for the 5000 version which is essentially the same thing. He said the 5000s are cheaper just because they’re made in bulks, not because there’s a difference in material strength.

These CP5000 discs can cope with very grabby Japanese race pads that I use, so I don’t think there’ll be any problems if you’re on RS14 or RS15, or anything that you can possibly use on the road.

If Graham at Plans are using the CP5000 discs for mid-engined series, then I suppose these discs are more than enough for the job. Don’t forget the Elise is pretty light

I’m sure you’re right and there’s not really much in it, but another dealer’s opinions is that the 5000s are just to provide something to the lower end of the market and not a touch on the 3000s.

Lotus speced the 3000s.

Any which way, they have to be better than the Renault ones (or whatever the stds are from)!

Ian

Given the price of the 3000s and 5000s, they’re bound to be superior to the Eliseparts discs, which are already very well made

Ideally you want those bells with bigger, better quality discs which is what I’m planning for when my discs are dead.

Randy - I have the same setup and would be interested in knowing what alternative discs you source for the Eliseparts bells. I have been through 2 pairs of the cross drilled and grooved discs from Eliseparts and noticed I have micro cracks on both sets of fronts.

I havn’t looked into yet TBO so couldn’t comment. AP is a good place to start.

I don’t know the PCD of the AP’s, would be very surprised if they fit Geary’s bells (HiSpec).
BUT you can always order replacement disks directly from HiSpec, without grooves or holes, or maybe only grooves.
I did this on my initiel experiments with brakes and found them better but moved on, as my problem was overheating and these were just too narrow to dissipate any heat.

So, if you like them, you can get them without the holes for your same bells.

There’re 3 types of 295mm AP discs that suit the Lotus calipers:
CP5000-510/511 (5.4kg, 24 vane)
CP3124-894/895 G4 (5.1kg, 24 vane)
CP3580-2894/2895 (4.3kg, 48 vane)

CP3124 is what you get with the LM brake kit.

CP5000 is simply the mass-produced version of CP3124, made from the same material. I see no reason to get the CP3214 if you can get the CP5000 for significantly less cash.

CP3580 is just too expensive, at almost double the price of the CP5000.

Hubert

Not being funny, but if the 3124 nd 5000 are the same material… where does the extra weight come from ?