S2...

So 190 bhp then… Lotus cars for sale | PistonHeads UK

But we knew that.
It’s addressed to another market: the newbies.

You have the better car, you know that: S1 !

Yep S1 every time Uldis, had no intentions of deserting but did have a sneaking suspicion (wrongly) that they would have found an extra few horses pre-launch.

So, if the max power is at the top end (like the VHPD) then the engine is basically LESS powerful, given the extra 400 revs (or so).

I’m sure the torque is nice though (even with that weight).

Surely they have to be doing a track upgrade (a la 190)!

Ian

I’m sure the torque is nice though (even with that weight).

Ian

IDG… errmmmm have you seen the torque curve on this engine ???.. yeuchh… horrible…

Not that I recall. Have you seen it with the Lotus ECU? Where?

S1! S1! S1!

Ian

IDG

AFAIK the torque isn’t ECU programmable on this engine so doubt lotus will have changed it much… the smack in the pants (well if that’s what it is anyway… ) at around 5500 rpm is all down to the hardware and a function of the ‘2nd’ cam coming in which is mechanical in its action… so not flat looks a bit like forced induction… or K2 or the hard side of Kilimanjaro or something… so for us… yeuchh…

I’ve always been on the S1 side.
But the S2 will have another advantage:
take all the weight you can off and although it’s going to be still about 100 Kg heavier than the S1, it will offer new potential for tuning.
It will take NA/Turbo/supercharging better (and hopefully cheaper) than the K.

Stock or near to stock? Naaah, but tuned to the max, it may be a whole different animal.
Who’s going to be the first to tune one? and drive it fast?
(after all, there’s bunches of TT supercharged Elises out there that are very slow at the track)

Like it or not, the S2 Exige is coming, and it’s going to be a different game.
Like it or not, the S1 Exige was made, is here and there will no more. Enjoy

But does it actually have that much tuning potential, if it is to remain a road car then all the european rules and regs about keeping the ECU etc etc will limit what can be done.

However as track car only…:slight_smile:

Under the new rules do you really have to keep the ECU?
What about chipping then?

And still, there is the turbo and supercharging ways, they seem to give great results in other japanese engines.

You have a point, the european rules. Hmmm, time will tell.

Its the MIL 3 spec of ECU, it has very tight parameters, any deviation will bring the MIL light on until the fault is fixed or cleared (to continue driving with the MIL on is, i beleive an offence). The ECU also records everything which will be downloaded on MOT checks… Big brother stuff !

Its one of the reasons why all Exiges had to registered by the 31 Dec 2001 as after that all cars had to be MIL 3.

Forced induction would work a treat but to keep everything within specs will result in high prices for the kits due to the development work needed.

Long live the S1 - no restrictions on what you can do

So are we going to get S2 owners after our engines so they can tune them!!!

Ian

Sorry, same rules apply i think, no engine swaps unless it is the same type with the correct mil 3 ECU.

We are soooo fortunate

BiiiiiiiG Bruvva is watching us…

Won’t be able to f*rt next !!

Still, they won’t get me

Sorry guys, dunno what you’re talking about

Why can’t you tune the engine? Oh hang on, it’s in the Celica 190… And the Jap never modify their engine do they! LOL!

So why would people over have to develop SC’s / TC’s / Heads / Whatever when there’s a massive amount “out the box” is the states and japland, all of which keep the regs on the engine fine.

I know that Blitz make a SC for the lump (2G-ZZE?), it would require some custom ducting but everything else would be fine and takes it up to ~250bhp but about 230ft lbs of torque!!!

Plus I heard that the Lotus ECU for the engine was a lot smoother and the gearing did mean you could keep it in that second cam area… It’s like the TVIS / VTEC where there’s a bit of a kick so that you feel it but that can be made to disappear, it just doesn’t appeal to the arse dyno as much

I personally think the S2 Exige is gonna be pretty mental and something to watch for!

Won’t be able to f*rt next !!

Still, they won’t get me

Silent but deadly, Mr Lane

Silent but deadly, Mr Lane

The only way to keep you guys a respectable distance behind me

In Switzerland a lotus dealer already has a compressor kit ready for the S2. Result is 270hp and mot compliant.
Everything for 4000�…not bad!

Nicolas

In Switzerland a lotus dealer already has a compressor kit ready for the S2. Result is 270hp and mot compliant.
Everything for 4000�…not bad!

Nicolas

Because it’s already been developed for the Celica as are many many many other parts…

Last I heard someone was aiming for ~500bhp out of the 2ZZ-GE (that’s the right lump ), cooling will be an issue for any forced induction application but silly power will already be available before it’s release