S2 Oil Coolers.

I have the ‘Touring Pack’ S2 exige and wanted to know if I could fit the two oil coolers that the ‘performance pack’ has.
I was very surprised when my dealer told me that my car has the oil cooler fitted. All new S2 exige’s from May 2005 have an oil cooler fitted. It is located on the right hand side front bottom grill. So good news for the 2005 owners!

Interesting… what does that mean to us 2004 Exige S2 touring owners from a track perspective… a recent post got a response about not doing too many laps and letting the car down… but is there a problem we might not be aware of ?

Interesting stuff I did hear that they were looking at getting rid of the performance pack and just having options such as the seats etc.

The oil coolers are a nice thing to have but as long as you keep an eye on your oil and dont do long sessions there should not be a problem. They can be retro fitted but its not simple as the plumbing has to be piped back through the sill.

…but as long as you keep an eye on your oil and dont do long sessions there should not be a problem.

But where’s the fun in that?!

Ian

I was under the inpression that all exiges had one as standard but the performance pack gave twin coolers…?

If I was to buy an exige all over again, i d forget the touring this time and go for PP plus air. The touring stuff is utterly useless, and I ve ended up fitting harnesses anyway. The seats on the pp look miles better too.

If I was to buy an exige all over again, i d forget the touring this time and go for PP plus air. The touring stuff is utterly useless, and I ve ended up fitting harnesses anyway. The seats on the pp look miles better too.

Yes I agree with you on the seats. The PP ones look very cool. I was quoted �2500 to fit them in my touring pack!!!
I looked at 2004 model today and it did not have the oil cooler in the front bottom right grill, where mine has.

Where are the oil coolers on the PP???

One either side, if you look under the front wheel arches in the direction of the front of the car you will see some vents, if you shine a torch or the sunlight’s bright you will see the oil cooler matrix through the vents.
john

if you shine a torch or the sunlight’s bright you will see the [color:“red”] diesel [/color] cooler matrix through the vents.
john

Harsh, but…

This is like an advert for the P pack.
Glad to have the P pack

After reading this I got curious about whether my car might have an oil cooler - I had thought it didn’t have one. It was build at the end of April this year ( I actually saw it at the factory coming off the production line on April 27th), and has neither perf or touring pack, but base spec + custom leather trim and air. Just been out to the garage and shone a light through each of the outer front air vents. Through the offside one, nothing, but through the nearside (right hand side looking at the front of the car)one is what looks like a small black radiator. Can anyone tell me if this is an oil cooler?

Mark

That’s the one. I just have two of them!

but there’s a weight penalty for having 2 of them!!

Cool! Well chuffed - had convined myself that an oil cooler wasn’t needed, but always had the thought at the back of my mind that really it was probably a good idea. I will feel obliged to thrash the nuts off it even more next time on track. Roll on Croft on Sept 18th

but there’s a weight penalty for having 2 of them!!

Ahh but I’ll be the one laughing when your engine oil turns into cooking oil

But seriously Exiges are supposed to be used on the track so the coolers should be a given and now they are

MArk_R

wasn’t it originally the case that non-UK spec S2’s all had an oil cooler ? maybe you have one that started life as one of those cars?

Rox,

I think all non UK Exiges and 111Rs have an oil cooler - I guess it is possible that mine was originally destined to be one of those as although it ended up being built to my spec it was at short notice as it was a cancelled build slot for a silver car (the cars are built in colour batches). Then again it may just be that all April/May 05 on Exiges have an oil cooler. Either way I am very pleasantly surprised to find mine has one.

Mark

MArk_R

wasn’t it originally the case that non-UK spec S2’s all had an oil cooler ? maybe you have one that started life as one of those cars?

Having discovered that my car has an oil cooler, I am now wondering about changing the oil, which I plan to do myself at some stage depending on how many track days I do between services. How would you ensure all the old oil is drained out the cooler and the feed pipes running along the sill?

Mark

You don’t, and it doesn’t really matter.
It’ll take probably a couple of oil changes to circulate all the oil out (like when changing from mineral to synthetic).

It’s Ok.