S2 Oil Coolers.

You will take 4.5ltrs from the engine, a further 1.5ltrs will be in the coolers.
You could always drive up your ramp to empty them although filling them could be tricky

Ok, ta. How are you liking your new quiter car, bye the way. Missing the Stage 2, or enjoying the (relative!) peace?

Mark

You will take 4.5ltrs from the engine, a further 1.5ltrs will be in the coolers.
You could always drive up your ramp to empty them although filling them could be tricky

Cant quite figure it out. Love being able to go to work without waking up half of Edinburgh and it still sounds mad on 2nd cam…
Jury still out

\

I was under the impression that all UK designated cars have at least 1 oil cooler and export cars (and UK p/pack) have twin oil coolers.

I would suggest that there is more than 1.5 ltrs of oil in the cooling system with the twin rads. That figure is based on a single cooler. You mentioned earlier that they pipe the twin coolers seperatley so there should be at least another 1.5 litres in there.

I have an April 04 car…(Touring) looking in the front I can see some type of cooling device behind the ducts on both sides… not sure if that is part of the radiator or not…

Jon

Think I might be able to shed some light on this. As your car is yellow and an early one, is it an ex demo? I happen to know that all the first batch of demo cars sent out to dealers when the car was launched were yellow and touring spec - but they also had the twin oil coolers fitted for some reason. If you can see a radiator thing through the offside front vent it definitely isnt standard cos my car hasn’t got anything in there.

Mark

I have an April 04 car…(Touring) looking in the front I can see some type of cooling device behind the ducts on both sides… not sure if that is part of the radiator or not…

Jon

Mark… you are correct… it was B&C’s demonstrator… i wasnt sure it had oil coolers as there is only one pipe coming from each of them (that I can see) and they are rubber rather than braided (the last oil cooler I saw had 2 braided pipes - but i dont know much about oil coolers…). I guess I should ask B&C to confirm…

Spoke to B&C and they didnt think my car had oil coolers, but will take a look at the open day over the weekend… anyone who has the Perf Pack, can you describe what you see through the front vents… as before, I can see what looks like a small radiator with a rubber hose connected at the base… the main central air vent contains nothing apart from somewhere to fix the towing eye and some type of venting grills that are quite small…

Jon

Sounds like you have a cooler. They are infront of the front wheels you can just see them if you look through the smallish vents bellow the front light clusters.

Looks like a mini radiator (as in from a car, not house!).

Ian

but would they have rubber hoses and not braided ?

Rubber hose on the S1 and as briaded stuff is like 10 x the price or something I would guess they are rubber on an S2 as well …

but would they have rubber hoses and not braided ?

Had a good look at mine again last night and the rubber hose is carrying water coolant from the radiator, not the oil -i.e. it is a water cooled oil cooler. The pipes carrying the oil to the cooler are not visible, but I would expect them to be much smaller in diameter. Sounds to me like you defo have oil coolers tho

Mark

Just got confirmation from the factory that I have twin oil coolers on my car… so that means more laps when I hit the track I guess

Does their fitment also help with surge… or isnt that am issue on the yota engine in the exige ?

At a Lotus track day at Knockhill today I had a good look at a number of Exiges and 111Rs. There was an 04 Touring Exige there which definitely did not have an oil cooler, and neither did the 2 111Rs I looked at, but there was an 05 Touring Exige which did have a single cooler like my own car. So, it does look like Lotus started fitting all Exiges with at keast a single oil cooler sometime earlier this year. Strange they kept that one quiet - worried about negative reaction from owners of earlier base and touring spec cars perhaps? Speedluvver, you the owner of a very rare beast - a Touring Exige with twin coolers - nice

The oil coolers will not help with oil surge, the 240R has an accusump system which in the event of a surge will pump oil in. (see photos in 240R topic -blue cylinder in boot) Still not as good as the real thing though.

My understanding is all UK spec Exiges have one oil cooler
UK spec Performance Pack Exiges have 2
All Non UK spec Exiges like mine here in Australia have 2
I have the touring pack and have verified it has 2

Cheers

My understanding is all UK spec Exiges have one oil cooler
UK spec Performance Pack Exiges have 2
All Non UK spec Exiges like mine here in Australia have 2
I have the touring pack and have verified it has 2

Cheers

Yes…All new Exiges are fitted with at least one oil cooler. But the early S2’s where not.

It changed when they started putting L O T U S back on the back instead of the badge (early 05 cars will not later 05s will)

It changed when they started putting L O T U S back on the back instead of the badge (early 05 cars will not later 05s will)

Mine is Late 2004 with the badge has the two oil coolers