S1 Manufacture

I know the S1 was only produced in 00/01 does anyone know the date of the last car sold/registered?

Cheers James

31st December 2001, was the very last day they were able to be registered in the UK/Europe(emission laws etc). I believe that a small number were registered on or shortly before that date, by dealers/factory, which were then sold to customers in 2002. Last production date will only be known by Lotus, but it was sometime in 2001.

Just checked and mine was registard 20/12/01, so is a nice and late one! car number 501

The reason I asked the car I m interested in was also registered 20/12/01! Thought must be one of the last, do the S1’s have a plaque or similar telling you which number they are then? Was it 580 made?

The last three digits of the VIN represent the build number.

In round figures, 600 S1s were built.

Interesting that two cars were reg’d on 20/12/01 - who were the first owners then?

Nath, S1s didn’t sell too well, & some were stocked by dealers/Lotus for some months during 2000/1, & registration date is no indication of build date. I first seriously considered buying in early Dec 2000, decided to proceed 1 week later, with an agreed delivery on 3rd Jan 2001. At that time there were, I recall, about 100 stockpiled at the factory.They were made in batches, to aid production planning, & not on an order placement basis. Fortunately one them was to the exact spec/colour I wanted The “Alarm Certificate” for mine is dated November 2000.

I think Russ’s car is around number 180 (Russ?), & it was registered at the same time as mine, which is number 409.

Is there a good website with detailed history of Exige, andfacts such as production numbers etc to use as ref’s etc ect?

The last three digits of the VIN represent the build number.

Interesting that two cars were reg’d on 20/12/01 - who were the first owners then?

Nath, S1s didn’t sell too well, & some were stocked by dealers/Lotus for some months during 2000/1, & registration date is no indication of build date. I first seriously considered buying in early Dec 2000, decided to proceed 1 week later, with an agreed delivery on 3rd Jan 2001. At that time there were, I recall, about 100 stockpiled at the factory.They were made in batches, to aid production planning, & not on an order placement basis. Fortunately one them was to the exact spec/colour I wanted The “Alarm Certificate” for mine is dated November 2000.

I think Russ’s car is around number 180 (Russ?), & it was registered at the same time as mine, which is number 409.

This is all very interesting pesky, what ever number they are they are all fantastic

[quote]The last three digits of the VIN represent the build number.

It could be that these 2 cars were pre registered by the dealers prior to them being sold to get around the emissions regulations!

I believe 601 Exige S1s were built, of which 200 were for export only!

Mine’s no 579 first registered on 27/12/01 I think.

Is there a good website with detailed history of Exige, andfacts such as production numbers etc to use as ref’s etc ect?

Yes - you are on it!

Seriously, there used to be a section here which was a list of chassis numbers and current owners…not sure what happened to it - Admin?

It could be that these 2 cars were pre registered by the dealers prior to them being sold to get around the emissions regulations!

Exactly why I asked who the first owners were

Yes - you are on it!

Seriously, there used to be a section here which was a list of chassis numbers and current owners…not sure what happened to it - Admin?

Must have got “lost” when the server did a whoopsy a couple of years ago - like the “tyre extender” thread

Page 5 of this thread CLICKY is worth a read too

Page 5 of this thread > CLICKY > is worth a read too

is that the right link…Owners Cars, page 5…

Im kinda suprised by the lack of really hardened information, I know though enthusiastic owners are always the greatest source however!

I have a serious interest in the '73 911 RS and although only 1480 were made every cars history is known, with lists by VIN of its details (colour/spec/country sold to etc etc) and some fantastic books (Carrera RS the book is like a bible to the car). I appreciate the RS was seminal to Porsche but I would of thought enthusiasm for the Exige and 340 might have led to a similar piece of work covering those vehicles considering the rarity and unique prospect they offer being race cars for the road…

Germans are great at making lists

is that the right link…Owners Cars, page 5…

Steve

No it’s not the thread you were thinking of, which listed all the known chassis numbers, with owners & other details. However, that thread got lost on the old server, so we’re without it now. Perhaps Mr Admin can resurrect it (from old backups), or perhaps set up a new database for us?

I agree that it would be a great shame/loss if we couldn’t document the brief history of as many of the 600 as possible!

Well if people sent me details or posted them under a fresh thread - I d compile a list - sad I know but very interested in the history of unique limited numbered motoring products, and I think the Exige deserves a register…

I’ve pm’d Admin, it would be best to get it up on here.

What fields should be recorded?

Lotus S1 Exige Production Figures are:

2000 - 499
2001 - 84

Total 583

These are Lotus factory numbers…

Rare beasties - treat yours well

an old post may exist, or I may have the info in my other computer, but I can remember a factory visit when they were buildfing the last of the Exiges - they had “found” a few extra parts kits! The chassis number I remember was 610 or 619.