S1 Brake upgrade

S1 Chaps,

Can you please give me some advice on general thinking on S1 Exige brake upgrade ?

for front 4 pots can I use std AP 4 pots as S2 or are AP 5000’s needed.

Is standard Master cylinder up to it or is an upgrade needed.

What about putting the two pots on the rear ? Can I use a bracket like on the S2 or is there another way ?

Where can I get all the bits I need ?

Thanks

Ex77

As I see it you have only a few options …

1. Upgrade to S2 4 Pots and leave master cyl and rear calipers as they are. You could use some larger, ali belled rotors - say 308mm at the front. At the rear you can update to AP or Alcon rotors, if you want.

2. Upgrade to full Motorsport set up - so you need new rear uprights and all associated parts - IF you can get them - for the 2 pots on the rear and accept you dont have a hand brake. - although that can be sorted if you want.
    You will need Msport front 4 pot calipers and machine the threads in the uprights. You will also need a Msport master cylinder or bias pedal box.
    Its possible to fabricate handbrake calipers … talk to Lotus power.

3. Use Eliseprts GT uprights to achieve the uprights as MSport ones are no longer easy available - but I think you need all 4 as the ride heights are changed.

The S2 AP Racing/Lotus calipers are a direct fit. You will need 304mm discs with them, if you wish to use the S2 308mm sizes discs you just need to add some small spacers.
Using these calipers on the S1 works a treat with the standard master cylinder if its in good condition, but you may find , if its old, that when bleeding the brakes the master cyliner packs up!!
Use slightly longer bolts than the S2 to mount the calipers to the S1 as they will be mounted to an alloy upright.
Give me a call if you would like to chat it all through…
Dave 07852 680267

:wink:

[quote=AndyD]As I see it you have only a few options …

1. Upgrade to S2 4 Pots and leave master cyl and rear calipers as they are. You could use some larger, ali belled rotors - say 308mm at the front. At the rear you can update to AP or Alcon rotors, if you want.

2. Upgrade to full Motorsport set up - so you need new rear uprights and all associated parts - IF you can get them - for the 2 pots on the rear and accept you dont have a hand brake. - although that can be sorted if you want.
    You will need Msport front 4 pot calipers and machine the threads in the uprights. You will also need a Msport master cylinder or bias pedal box.

3. Use Eliseprts GT uprights to achieve the uprights as MSport ones are no longer easy available - but I think you need all 4 as the ride heights are changed.

[/quote]

Andy is spot on. I’ve not tried (1) or (3) but I did try lots of other things without success…until I tried (2) and they are properly awesome :sunglasses:

[quote=Benja][quote=AndyD]As I see it you have only a few options …

[/quote]

Andy is spot on. I’ve not tried (1) or (3) but I did try lots of other things without success…until I tried (2) and they are properly awesome :sunglasses: [/quote]

Benja,

Where did you get the work done or where did you get all the bits ?

I hear the MS master cylinder is hard to find.

Thanks

Ex77

JSR did the work. It’s an expensive mod but if you want the car to stop…it certainly works :sunglasses:

Yup I think some of the bits are in scarce supply,…in a few years we’ll all be scratching around at Auto Jumbles to keep the old girls running’ :frowning:

MSC have the Motorsport master cylinders.

[quote=Benja]
Yup I think some of the bits are in scarce supply,…in a few years we’ll all be scratching around at Auto Jumbles to keep the old girls running’ :frowning: [/quote]

I think you’re right & it is a reflection of the cars rarity. Mabe some independent(s) will come up trumps in the future but it will probably need ‘group buys’ to make it viable. OTOH abandoning originality could be another way :frowning:

1 Like

i always wanted to try these MS upgrade as i felt my brakes are not up for the job…shame i have to sell the car tho… :frowning:

1 Like

[/quote]

Marc,

is that a bespoke read upright ? Does teh 2 pot bolt staright on ?

Where did you get the small Hand Brake caliper ?

Thanks

Ex77

Yes it is a bespoke upright, the handbrake caliper is from Hi spec. The uprights and wishbones are S2 K series fitment though, so not a cheap swap!

What power/engine are you running?

The standard calipers are fine unless you are running some serious power in my opinion…

I ran my car with standard calipers and upgraded discs/pads/lines for years and never had brake issues.

AP 304 discs up front, AP 290 on rear and some good pads and that’s the best value for money you’ll get. Anything more will cost a LOT.

[quote=Benja]JSR did the work. It’s an expensive mod but if you want the car to stop…it certainly works :sunglasses:

Yup I think some of the bits are in scarce supply,…in a few years we’ll all be scratching around at Auto Jumbles to keep the old girls running’ :frowning:[/quote]

Ditto and very pleased. :smiley:

Also have Hi-Spec handbrake caliper.

Ian :slight_smile:

[quote=DaveP]
The standard calipers are fine unless you are running some serious power in my opinion…

I ran my car with standard calipers and upgraded discs/pads/lines for years and never had brake issues.

AP 304 discs up front, AP 290 on rear and some good pads and that’s the best value for money you’ll get. Anything more will cost a LOT.[/quote]

How hard were you trying Dave? :wink:

Mine would go soft after about half a dozen laps on just 200bhp. The setup now helps me enjoy my driving much more.

I think Dave trys that hard that he doesn’t actually use the brakes.

Haha, I try fairly hard I think… :wink:

Seriously though, there were plenty of cars just running standard calipers and upgraded pads/discs/fluid in the early days of LOT with no problems, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that setup… I only ever experienced a bit of fade when I had old (2 year old!) brake fluid in !!

I don’t think anyone who has had a pax lap would say it was short of brakes?

Having said all this, my new setup will be 4pot fronts, 2pot rears… It its not a cheap solution… And Im really only doing it in case I decided to go supercharged.

A back to back test at Angesely a few years back made me realise that the pads are where its at for good performance brakes with a standard caliper setup.

I had always found RS14 ok in the early days, but they must have changed something and nothing else was working for me … however the PF97 pads we fitted that day transformed the braking performance - no fade, not soft pedal … loads more confidence and that was in a SC Honda with reasonable straightline speed.
However … Motorsport setup with PF01 is in another league again and required I believe with really high power / straightline speed.

1 Like

I’m interested in what do think. When is it due?

Million dollar question that !

It’s not really too far off now, just need to start bolting things back together… I need to post a mini build thread when I get chance :slight_smile: