S Wales Track Day with Andrew Walsh

I forgot to mention that the day ended for me on a familiar note…

That of my engine going wheeeee because the throttle was stuck full on again - NOT FUN

Anyone got any tips on how to change the throttle cable??

Ian, I just turned on my old mobile and got your message from the petrol station - send me five pounds and I’ll delete it

Well I’m glad AndyD picked his messages up or you could have been feeling a little guilty for driving past me still waiting on your way home!

I owe you all beer (and hot nuts Mike), at least five pounds worth!

Ian

ps. BTW, sorry your days didn’t end quite perfectly Mike (and for almost getting tangled up with you on the M4 trying to avoid that blue flashing light thingy!).

Yeh - that was a strange incident wasn’t it ??

It looked to me as if the light was ‘stuck’ on top, Kojac style…

Also it wasn’t quite as deep a blue as I have come to know and detest !! More like sky blue ??

Oh well - we shall never know!!

Mike

The throttle cable should be easy - just make sure you attach some thin wire to it before you pull it through the sill so you can use that to pull the new one through.

Steve and I discussed your problem and while changing the cable is a good plan, we both think you should check out the alignment of the throttle bodies and the spindles in them ASAP

Whats this about a blue light I can see it now " Sorry officer I was expecting a much darker blue … "

Mike, I forgot to say, one of your rear lights on the trailer has gone.

Ian

Hi All,

Glad to hear that you got back OK Ian. Don’t forget to put some spare fuses in your car

Looking foward to the next track day already, hopefully on nitrons and new “BIG” Stoppers

Steve.

PS I will try to get some copies of the Video to those who took part, E-mail me your postal address And I will get them sent out.

Steve, you have mail.

I didn’t think the fuse was actually gone, just corroded connections. But good advice, I’ll carry some spares! If I keep them in the front fuse box the weight may even reduce the understeer!?!!

What you doing to the brakes? And what springs you gonna run with the Nitrons?

Ian

Whats this about a blue light I can see it now " Sorry officer I was expecting a much darker blue … "

As Ian went past me he was suddenly eclipsed by a very fast unmarked car with a light blue magnetic ‘Kojac style’ flashing light stuck on the top…

This caused him to attempt to park his car on top of mine, which was on the trailer at the time…

Luckily, with a body swerve that would have made Jonah Lomu proud, I managed to thwart his amorous intentions and all was well,… though perhaps my heart beat a trifle faster

Steve

YHM

… though perhaps my heart beat a trifle faster

Not as fast as when you nearly ran into the queue of cars hidden around the bend, just after leaving the circuit.

When mike says a ‘fast car’ he was only talking about a Fiesta with a funny blue light!

All amorous intentions were purely subconsious and a result of the all the help I had received during the day.

Ian

Not as fast as when you nearly ran into the queue of cars hidden around the bend, just after leaving the circuit.

Ian

Oh yeh

The ABS came on on the BMW and that triggered the over-run brakes on the trailer, which DOESN’T have ABS, so the trailer skidded and I had to release the BMW brakes to get the trailer brakes to start working again…

Who says I don’t have advanced driving skills ??

Thanks guys, had a really great day. As the Exige and Trackday newbie I was a bit concerned that it could all be a bit odd. But I need not have worried - this is what I bought the Exige and I fully echo IDG’s sentiment on the subject…

With some prompting from AndyWalsh I really got noticeably quicker (don’t think I was troubling the others much tho ) The only casualty was my 48’s - which (with some significant assistance from AndyW) got completely trashed,…in fairness they were on their way out. Thankfully a night-time zip back to London down the M4 limited the chance of explaining to Plod why I was wearing slicks on the rear

I am glad to say I am hooked, and you will no doubt see me again at events later this year…

Cheers Mike for the couple of litres of Optimax, I owe yer!

Latest on stuck throttle…

NOT cable…

Williams Lotus say it is the spindle - Andy / Steve, you were right…

Car off road awaiting gaskets !!!

Andy / Steve, you were right…

Any you’re surprised!

Those guys are tops.

Ian

I always though that they were - and I was right !!

Well done chaps

AND the video of Llandow arrived this morning - thanks Steve I’ll be glued to that a bit later once I have done all the jobs set out by ‘she who must be ironing’

Seconded thanks very much Steve! I must owe you a whole barrel of beer by now!

It’s funny, you can really see when Andy is driving! My over-zealous (well, I was making up for lost time!) lines through bus-stop amused me.

The sky at the end of the day as we came down the start finish looked great!

Who was that driving around Donny at the end of the tape?

Ian

Thirded Video arrived yesterday - many thanks Steve

Ian - just how many laps did I hold Walshy up

Thirded Video arrived yesterday - many thanks Steve

Ian - just how many laps did I hold Walshy up

I’m not sure - how many laps did you do ??

Not too many he back off a bit…and then catch you in seconds. He can drive.

Although the laps on the video I was actually driving, honest!

Ian