s/c kit for my n/a exige s2

if anyone has anything ?? would like the mp62 as per original or others, but not the mp45 type

What are you looking to spend? My mate bought a BOE REV300 kit (TVS-1320) and that was around £6k. Kit looks totally top-drawer…

cant got to that unfortunately, not sure on prices tbh.2/3k max??

An internet-friend has recently supercharged an NA car, not with an MP62 but using a TVS1320 from SSC in Aus. The Aus kit is slightly better (IMO) than the BOE kits because it retains the OE intercooler/chargecooler position and the BOE kits with their integrated CC struggle for IAT control a bit.

The big challenge he had though was sourcing the swan neck, this is the adapter between the blower and the throttlebody and it’s shared across the MP62 cars and the SSC 1320 cars… but you can’t buy them anymore, at least not that I’m aware of. This will be your big sticking point on putting an MP62 kit together, you’ll need to find either a crashed car to buy bits off - or you’ll need to find somebody who’s upgraded from an MP62 setup to a BOE400 setup or something like that. (as I think the BOE400 comes with its own custom swan neck).

Getting an MP62 setup for 2-3k may be ambitious, but nothing is impossible. The Elise/non-intercooled setup is probably more realistic, and less dependent on unicorn parts.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply, I am a bit new to the technical side of this but do some s/c do away with the cooler and still make good power? something about less temps so dont require the cooler,Katana or the 1320 charger harop? my budget is tight i know,it all depends on what comes up and if its plug and play ,I hope the emu black doesnt need much to adapt but this will still be a cost to factor in

The only intercooler-less one that I’m aware of is the MP45(?) that the Elise SC got. It makes for a nicely packaged kit, fewer bits to collect and ultimately will be a cheaper installed - but unlikely to yield much power over the standard 220 cars.

The TVS1320 kits from either BOE or SSC operate cooler pound per pound of boost than an MP62, just because they’re newer/more efficient tech - but they still need to be intercooled. The SSC implementation retains the OEM intercooler positioning, so an existing Exige S can reuse its intercooler/pipes. With like for like intercooling, a TVS1320 can run 13-14psi of boost at a similar operating temp of an MP62 running 8 or 9psi of boost. It makes running a ~300bhp car on an A2A intercooler a lot more comfortable, whereas on an MP62 you’re pushing the boundaries of the blower at that point even on A2W chargecooling.

The BOE kit replaces the inlet manifold to include their own which has an integrated intercooler core. The upside of this, is that the kit doesn’t require any other “donor” bits from an Exige S, has a smaller air capacity and is generally a nice tidy package - but I know a couple of people running BOE setups who have real struggled with inlet air temps when running the bigger end of the advertised power due to the relatively small intercooler core.

Katana I’m really not sure about, old hat stuff now - most people on Katana setups have put considerable effort into moving away from them so read into that what you will. I’m sure andybond can comment more!

Your ECU is a good head start and will limit the costs of the upgrade, all you’ll need is an IAT sensor and a remap so probably allow 3-500quid for that.

Honestly, selling up and squirreling some money away for an SC car makes the most sense. It hurts me to say that, because I’m a big fan of modifying cars rather than just chopping in and upgrading.

thanks for taking the time to explain the different types,i get the save a bit more and buy a s/c car bit ,but i love my car and i know its all ok plus the s/c cars are pretty steep.Wonder if H111 can do me a deal on there 280 kit???

As Fonzey said - avoid the katana kit. I have spent thousands making it right. Just not worth the hassle.

Worth an ask, but it would need to be a pretty significant ‘deal’ to get down to your budget!

Some outside the box options, some maybe less popular than others:

• Sell up, get a 111R Elise instead and SC that. You’re currently stuck with “Exige tax” with no more performance than an NA Elise. You could ‘trade down’, get the Elise and supercharge it with a fancy kit - probably still end up quids in, and have a much quicker car.

• Stay NA, and spend £2-3k on the gearbox instead. Stick some short ratios in it, have a blast. I love this approach, a short ratio’d NA car looks like a very fun prospect.

• Buy a slow(er) daily, that is an effective upgrade to the Exige and will make it feel faster :mrgreen:

if H111 could do a deal, i would borrow and up the budget. I think the only car i’d sell the exige for is a cup elise …but they are way out of reach

Are you after more power for the road, or for the track?

Or both?

I’m not sure I need more power at the track - I can’t drive the car well enough to extract the most from it as it stands, so the ‘straight bits’ are not where I’d make the biggest gains. If I could drive it better, I’d be lapping much quicker than if I supercharged mine. If I then went on to add more power, then fine, but I’m just saying that if you’re after more power for the track, you might get much better results from lots of practice and maybe some coaching? :slight_smile:

uklotuscentre,anyone had dealings with them?

This… with knobs on !!!

I think this is a name I am familiar with from reading around the web - A chap called Rocky owns it. I believe he is a lotus breaker. Just be careful with whatever you are buying!

understood cheers :thumbup:

Will be all road,its got the EMU black and full system RRR said it did 215 on a hot day at their place,I think i am more of a torque kind of guy,hence the s/c.

Wow! Yours is producing more power than mine! I also have EMU Black, full 2bular, but also cams, new valves, head work, Cosworth head gasket to increase compression ratio slightly, 450cc injectors, Radium fuel rail, Fidanza flywheel, etc - all mapped by RRR a year ago and producing 210bhp on a warm day too! Your engine sounds extremely healthy already! :astonished:

I understand the desire for torque though… Good luck mate :thumbup:

tis what RRR told me and showed me the graph??? to be honest top end doesnt interest me its more grunt low/mid range.Used to have motorbikes,Aprilia rs250 and an R6 ,great bikes but never really took to the characteristics of the engines,then a ducati 748 V twin and loved it

[/img]

I totally believe you, I was just saying your engine already sounds really healthy! A typical stock 2zz NA will produce between 163 and 167bhp at the wheels, from my research, so to think you’re 10+ wheel horsepower up from a manifold and tune, that’s a good result I reckon! :+1:t2: