rover K powered +200hp owner survey 2011

Hi people, well i would like to start a + 200hp survey in our little community to discuss specs and owner comments on their cars running and usage . I propose spec and dyno outputs for each engine where possible so we can build an overview of the state of the nation using the K in 2011 and discuss recent developments on the engine.

cheers

Rules me out, then! :frowning:

I think any info from anyone, regardless of the state of tune would be useful Steve so don’t be left out!

OK, I I’ll go.

Back in the days when I had a VHPD in my car. My standard VHPD with just an elise parts manifold and exhaust a set of Jenvey DTH throttle bodies and an Emerald ECU made 206BHP on Dave Walkers rollers.

My Erland 1.8 made 236bhp and was revved to 9,300rpm. It used a standard crank (not a VHPD one) but apart from that I dont know much else about the engine as it was a loner from Simon. I think everyone and their dog knows the story of its demise.

One thing I will say about having engines with no power and no torque, is get yourself at the very least a close ratio dog box. I had a Quaife sequential on mine and I reckon it was worth at least 50bhp. A few races I did with the standard box on while the Quaife was being fixed, it genuinely felt like there was something wrong with the car as the sequential just bought the whole thing to life.

OMG, ok i didnt want to leave out anybody actually !!
just cause your dyno aint hyperbolic all mods are welcome for a good discussion !

Ahh yes the famous Gearing cascade curves ! :slight_smile:… anybody got some so we can have a look at acceleration versus gearing ?

Sorry, crazyhorse, I wasn’t complaining, it’s just that mine is a completely standard 177bhp (and probably not even pumping out that amount of horses).
I will be a fascinated reader of all that is contributed and it’s already been interesting to be reminded of SeanB’s early engine.

Mine’s freshly rebuilt and still going through its run-in, although is making about 212bhp on a rev-restricted, conservative run-in tune. Should make about 225bhp when final tune goes on in a few weeks.

Whats your oil consumption guys … mine seems to be really high 250 miles i consume almost a liter !(ok 3hrs at 100MPH 5000revs …
how much u use on a track day ?

Nice ,
Whats the engine spec?
can u post the dyno once tuned ?

Can Do.

Crazyhorse, mine used to use a lot of oil at trackdays and high RPM, but on the road at a cruise it barely used any. It was worn bores and pistons in the end.

Mine’s been rebuilt with:

DVA full port job
Larger Paul Ivey valves
Colisbro valve guides
Piper uprated valve springs
Piper ARK1444 cams
Piper verniers
Ductile iron liners
Omega forged pistons
Arrow Precision Rods
New Rover crank, HMI’d and balanced with the bottom end by vibration free
Knock sensor added
Camshaft sensor added
Subaru STi coil pack added
Converted to sequential injection/ignition
Bosch 380cc injectors
New engine loom
Motec M800 ECU

Which doesn’t add up to a cheap list.

[quote=crazyhorse]Whats your oil consumption guys … mine seems to be really high 250 miles i consume almost a liter !(ok 3hrs at 100MPH 5000revs …
how much u use on a track day ? [/quote]

Mine used to burn between a 1/2 to 3/4 litre per trackday, even though I ran it in very carefully from new, never exceeded 3500rpm until fully warmed up, & changed the oil at least every 3K miles (or 3 trackdays). That was using the oem 190 ECU, and before/after an engine refresh (piston rings shot) at 25K miles.

Yeah well engine only 10000 miles but looking very freed up tolerance wise, i can live up topping it up with oil as long as it dont get worse ! :wink: , no power problems though it goes like stink i guess a dyno is the only real check possible short of stripping it . ?

Hey basically the motor goes like stink so cant expect it to live forever that’s half the equation , drove it 8hrs yesterday and apart from the bum ache (seats are arse numbing after 1hr !)i cant get enough :wink:

come on guys !
more of your cars to chat about, it must be peeing it down in blighty tonight so its either a curry or chatting on exiges no ?? :wink:

hey Mr Pesky,
at the rate i burn it (270 miles 1 litre) i “change” the oil every (capacity 5.5l) 1500miles ! :wink:

Whats the reason behind the sequential ignition ?

Just better engine control really, better running at part throttle, and more accurate fuel injection (with the sequential injection). Basically it means the individual cylinders can be treated in isolation rather than in pairs and you end up with less transitional time on the injectors. It really helps with smoother running at part-throttle, perhaps a tiny bit of gain up top but very little.

no more lumpy grumpy idling at 1100 revs …!

that would be like taking the laugh lines off my wifes face !

but if it cures the Kangarooing a low pickup that would be good though…

No, it still idles like a grumpy, drunken sailor, but at 1000rpm, you can also put your foot down in a high gear at 1500rpm and it’ll actually accelerate smoothly away :slight_smile:

I’ve got a bit of a mental block about giving the specs of my latest race engine away so here’s some of the ones I made earlier:-

My 2003-04 Spec

1.8 Block
Fully ported head
31.5mm Inlet, 28.3mm Exhaust valves
Colisbro valve guides
Piper BP320 cams
Piper verniers
Iron liners
Forged pistons
Farndon Rods
DKE Crank
Bosch 330cc Injectors
Jenvey DTH Throttle bodies
Omex OMEM150 ECU

Sold as making 225bhp - No chance, no way, no how!! Strong though - saw north of 10000rpm on many occasions (botched changes) and lived!

My 2005 Spec

Scholar 1.9 Block/liners
Fully ported head
Colisbro valve guides
Piper BP320 cams
Piper verniers
Pistal Forged pistons
Farndon Rods
DKE Crank
Bosch 330cc Injectors
Emerald M3DK ECU

Supposedly made 220+bhp & 160lb/ft but was like a light switch! Absolute bucking bronco so a balanced throttle was not on the agenda. Learned a lot about oversteer.

My 2006 Spec

Scholar 1.9 Block/liners
Fully ported head
Colisbro valve guides
Piper ARK1444 cams
Piper verniers
Pistal Forged pistons
Farndon Rods
DKE Crank
Bosch 330cc Injectors
DTA S60 ECU

No real increases in power or torque that year but the combination of 1444 cams and new DTA ECU made for big increases in drivability and made it comparatively tame Missed the evil BP320 cams greatly.

2007 Onwards cagey details :wink:

VGK block
Fully ported DVA head with larger valves
Mix of Piper Cams
Different Jenvey DTH throttle bodies
Bigger Injectors

Still experimenting with this work in progress!