Price indication by King K

Copied from Seloc in blue;

[color:“blue”]Properly built 1.8k, better than 250bhp, weighing less than 80kg, last 3x longer than a honda will cost about 6k plus exhaust and ecu. Rebuild - to as new, will cost 1k odd [/color]

Chuck in gearbox/mapping/labour to remove & install, & do your own sums to compare with a proven Honda conversion.

Yep but it goes better, faster, way way smoother, revs sooooooooo much faster lasts longer!

honda RIP

I think people are quite capable of making their own minds up, [color:“red”] IF [/color] they are able to make a comparison. As far as I am aware, such a comparison cannot be presently made. Bear in mind that most people use their cars both on the road, & on the track, & there are plenty of Honda’d cars around at this juncture, with very satisfied owners. I fully acknowledge that Sean is more than satisfied with his engine(s), & this thread is not a dig at you, but a long awaited opportunity to get some facts (but unfortunately, not all as yet) into the open.

I know quite a number of long standing Exige owners, who would dearly like to retain a K series in their pride & joy, & who are now “on the brink” of deciding what to do, as their existing VHPD engines have covered upwards of 25K miles.

my K has done 29678.65 miles so far (which is about 5.81e-9 lightyears - not bad, huh? )

(1 Lightyear would be 9’460’528’400’000km, just to compare - will do a few rebuilts in the meantime, I guess…)

I did 38K with my VHPD (refresh @ 26K), & subsequently 30K more with the tractor engine in situ.

Trouble is…for those looking (which I will be very soon) we need something to drive in order to compare the options…

There are demo Honda’s and Audi’s…

Have you taken it back to rollers recently to see your power compared to when new

I would be very very very interested in that experiment

Nope - never been on any rollers, fullstop. I’ve never had a “bespoke” exhaust manifold - just the original Honda jobbie, which has been cut to accept a decat pipe & silencer made initially for a K series. The map is an “off the shelf one”, slightly tweaked after a couple of runs on the open road by the place I took it to 2 years ago (they had problems, on the day, with their rolling road, & I’ve not bothered going back since the car goes okay).

I’ve never been interested in headline figures - just how the car feels to drive on both road & track (as you know, I don’t race).

In the not too distant future, it will be s/c with a new exhaust manifold & silencer, & mapped on a rolling road. I’m still not looking for headline figures, my car is not about pub talk etc, but for driving with reliability (68k miles in 6.5 years says it all, I think). I’ll never be the fastest out there on track (lack of talent being the main reason), but I’m not at all bothered by that, because I just enjoy being out there with a load of like minded folk.

I will have no problem publishing a copy of the dyno print-out in due course - although it will only be indicatative of what can be achieved, not what can ultimately be achieved.

Copied from Seloc in blue

Is that a new website?

Copied from Seloc in blue;

[color:“blue”]Properly built 1.8k, better than 250bhp, weighing less than 80kg, last 3x longer than a honda will cost about 6k plus exhaust and ecu. Rebuild - to as new, will cost 1k odd [/color]

Chuck in gearbox/mapping/labour to remove & install, & do your own sums to compare with a proven Honda conversion.

Yep - looks a lot dearer than a honda option, especially as the honda option seems a wee bit cheaper the further north you go.

Also 3x longer than a honda? As the honda will do 100k+ then this means he is claiming 300,000 miles from the beastie.

Also headline figures are fine (even though they are unproven and not backup by any evidence) but where are the plots? At the very least you need them to run the cascade curves to see how hamstrung the expensive kingk option is with the manky old PG gearbox and ratios.

I did 38K with my VHPD (refresh @ 26K), & subsequently 30K more with the tractor engine in situ.

Have you taken it back to rollers recently to see your power compared to when new

i didnt have a RR session when mines was done, but Mark A managed 222bhp on his car. Mines, with a copy of Mark A’s map (after 30,000 miles) did 223bhp at emerald, so it looks like they hold up well to the miles.

i didnt have a RR session when mines was done, but Mark A managed 222bhp on his car. Mines, with a copy of Mark A’s map (after 30,000 miles) did 223bhp at emerald, so it looks like they hold up well to the miles.

What do you expect when you drive like a big girl?

Seriously though, Neil, most impressive season to date - see ya at Spa.

I don’t know what all the fuss is about, we all know Honda engines are crap and that the Rover K series will last forever if built by the right man.

Bernard

I suspect that a really decent (and affordable) gearbox option would enhance the potential of the k series options, but at the moment it is soemwhat of a stumbling block when one compares cascade curves and torque at the wheels of the PG1 vs honda gearboxes.

“68k miles in 6.5 years says it all, I think”

So you don’t like it much then Rob??

Mines up to 73000 miles - engine refreshed at 58000miles.

Right good these Rover engines - can’t see what the problem is.
I

Mines up to 73000 miles - engine refreshed at 58000miles.

Right good these Rover engines - can’t see what the problem is.

Yay, Tone, great to see you back

Still married?

Taken your car on track yet?

Take care, mate, we’ve missed you

Nice to be back, thanks Rob

Work keeps getting in the way, so does the MSc and now I’ve bought a plane - (well a microlight!!) and if you thought a Lotus gobbled your bank balance quickly - try a plane!!

Still married I’m afraid - nobody else would put up with me!!

73000 miles and its never been on a track – it’s seen a few though!! I know - it’s supposed to go on a track!!

Still married I’m afraid - nobody else would put up with me!!

Well you have tried more than your fair share!

MSc - in what, may I ask? Very well done for applying yourself to the task - suppose it get’s lonely out on the rigs etc?

Any chance of coming to Brands in November? http://www.elisetrophy.com/LoTRDC

I should get a life time achievment award for the number of wives I’ve had!! (Both mine and others!!)

MSc in Project Management and Leadership at Portsmouth Uni

November might be possible - I will have to check with Diddy.