Potential New Owner needs advice

Hi there,I have owned a couple of Elises over the years, the last was a Scandal Green 160Sport which was bundles of fun.I am now looking at either a new 111s or an Exige and am seeing a dealer on Mon for a test drive of a Norfolk Mustard which has had the 190 upgrade.Can I ask if there is anything in particular i should ask about the car or look for, and what sort of problems might the car have which i need to know aboutAppreciate any advise you can offer

EliseboyMost aspects are well covered on this forum.There was an official recall earlier this year - make sure that the car has been done. (ECU modification in particular).Make sure it’s fitted with the Yoko tyres made specifically for the Exige. There are 2 types, A039 & A048 but both also have LTS on the tyrewall. The A039s were the original when the car was launched, but mid 2002 the A048s were also introduced. The latter last longer (& are cheaper) as well as perform better on track. Also, it is preferrable to have the factory fitted Sports Seats & Harnesses - can be fitted aftermarket, but not cheap (�3K for the original bits!). Harnesses are really a must if you intend to do trackdays, as most of owners tend to [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]Brake upgrade with braided hoses/SRF fluid & either Pagid or Mintex pads would also be nice!Let us know how you get on!Finally, don’t be embarrassed when you can’t stop smiling whilst driving an Exige [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Pesky, many thanks.Should of put a few more details about the car, its got the 190 upgrade, but not sure if its had all the bits of just the ecu remap.Also has the factory fitted harness and a mamo quick release oval steering wheel.I had a set of harnesses fitted on the 160 and they were a must for track days, also had a set of A039r’s from the 340R for track days as well as a stack st500 timing unit with infa red sensor on the side which was fantasticWill look over the tyres and check the recall tooI drove one with bobby bell when they first came out, but the price was a bit too steep at the time

Out of interest is it the car that H R Owen has for sale. If it is the former owner used to post on here I recall - might be worth an archive trawl and contact him for prior info. All the best with your test flight!

Or is it the one at Nick Whale, Birmingham. Saw that one last week and it did lok tidy. If it is from there you should get looked after properly. The only thing I would add is make sure its runs OK, tested a few that ran like dogs… but hay its worth the wait when you get the right one!!!

simon,yep thats the one!do you know the chaps name who owned it or what he was called on herethanks for that

EliseboyThis a cracker - never been near a track. Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

PeskyIt’s sold!! - I bought it yesterday. Truly is in amazing condition. Been looking for months for the right one.EliseboyWent to look at this one myself approx 2 months ago. Looked v tidy.Think his surname was Soutar (from Essex area) - look in ‘For Sale’ archive on this BBGood luckSimon

Simon,many thanks, looks like you got a nice car there, what put you off of the one that HR have then?It looked in ok nic, the front had a lot of stone chips but i am sure something can be done about that.Will try and email the previous owner for detais

quote:Originally posted by simon:PeskyIt’s sold!! - I bought it yesterday. Truly is in amazing condition. Been looking for months for the right one.SimonSimonWell done [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image] I’ve known Clive for, well,er… many years - he is a perfectionist, so I’m sure that the car will be as near new as is possible.Look forward to seeing you at a trackday soon [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

EliseboyOnly the colour really, and the price, it was originally up for �26.5 I recall - Last edition of Top Marques showed substantial reduction on this - was actually goin to contact HR next week to re-view, but car I’ve bought came up. It is so easy to buy first one you see tho’- presence is so awesome. I must have viewed about 12 of them. Storm of Leicester currently have 3 for sale -inc v. nice X reg Laser Blue (IMHO best colour for Exige), 190 upgrade, 12k miles, sports seats, etc, etc �24k (2 weeks ago �26K)- understand they are trying to clear stock (just taken over by new co) - maybe good deal to be made??All the best Simon

Simon,Cheers, not to bothered about the colour - i did own a scandal green elise after all hehe!Will look at calling storm as well, limitations i have is new home, mortgage and that leaves me with a fixed budget for the car, so prob going to have to look at a balloon payment, which knocks out most of the good private cars i have seen aroundHave emailed the previous owner(Think its the right one!) and will let you know how it goes tomorrow

PeskyMany thanks - Clive is a true Gent - a pleasure to do business with - altho’ wouldn’t move on price tho’!!! - who cares - the car is absolutely mint and I am totally over the moon. Am so pleased I took my time.Yep, definitely taking in track days - novice would appreciate some advice tho!!CheersSimon

well i have just been out for a test drive in the car and first impressions are very good.Car was very true and brought back all the old memories from the 160.Has quite a bit of stone chip damage, including both driving lamps smashed. The sides are a bit scuffed and will need replacing too. Also, tyres have little tread and i imagine brakes will also want a change.Does anyone else have a lot of vibration when driving as well, or could that be in the setup?

Strange? - when I looked at the car I’m sure no damage to lights and stone chipping didn’t look so bad, maybe its a different car?, salesmen taken it out since on a few jollies or just my poor memory… Tyres are quite expensive - try to get a new set in the deal if you buy it, similar with brakes.Approx a month ago the E Type Centre at Chilcote, near Tamworth had a belting Chrome Yellow for sale (Good spec inc 190bhp, harnesses, sports exhaust, etc, etc)8k miles - don’t know if they’ve sold it yet (wanted �24k). Reason I didn’t buy - it had originally been a dealer demo car.Cheers Simon

quote:Originally posted by simon:Approx a month ago the E Type Centre at Chilcote, near Tamworth had a belting Chrome Yellow for sale… Are you sure it wasn’t Mustard Orange? [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Very good Pesky, subtle Lotus colour humour!Almost had me for a moment there! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Yep, hands up sorry about that Pesky, colour blindness it was Azure Red really. I was getting bit carried away there - still excited with new car!! - I put it down to lack of sleep, will re-enter realms of reality soon!

FYI - I saw the one in HR Owen aswell. IMHO a wasted journey. Car is a dog. Stone chipped to bits, rear has a shatter in the bodywork, both lower front driving lights smashed and one of the headlamp covers has been refitted very badly . Chips all down the side and across the rear wings. Plenty of others out there for much less money and far better condition.Supposedly only tracked once, by the look of the front it spent most of its time in the gravel traps!Just think that the car is being shown at its best in the showroom! Imagine it in a few monthsThere was a black one near Bath and a Silver up in Birmingham. I posted a wanted on the forum and got a half dozen replies. Can’t find their details unfortunately. If I do, will post them onto you. quote:Originally posted by ELISEBOY:Simon,Cheers, not to bothered about the colour - i did own a scandal green elise after all hehe!Will look at calling storm as well, limitations i have is new home, mortgage and that leaves me with a fixed budget for the car, so prob going to have to look at a balloon payment, which knocks out most of the good private cars i have seen aroundHave emailed the previous owner(Think its the right one!) and will let you know how it goes tomorrow

ADL - thanks for the steer,What was the shatter in the rear bodywork, i didnt notice that when I saw the car?