Phoenix Motorsports

Heya

I’m looking at a Elise with a honda swap (done in 2008) by Phoenix Motorsports, and while I read plenty of good things about the garage the details on the kit they use can be vague.

Anyone here got any 1st hand experience? Anything to look into?

T

[quote=Muu] Anything to look into?

[/quote]

Try this

:smiley:

I honestly see a raindeer in there, jumping.

Anyway, the intertubes doesnt seem to have any hate threads or any evangelists pointing me to seloc, so I guess they’re sound.

Pick up the car at the weekend. S2 135R with K20a :smiley:

[quote=Muu]
Pick up the car at the weekend. S2 135R with K20a :smiley:[/quote]

Aah, Mr Bond’s I presume. Nice car - enjoy :sunglasses:

Indeed, deposit placed last weekend.

Really looking forward to some track time in it.

This sounds nice…enjoy…

Will post more after the weekend.

Pheonix are top chaps!
If you have any concerns at all give Ollie at Pheonix a call on 01254 384071. He will always try and help when he can.

I’ve had a Pheonix N/A Honda’d Elise S1 now for 2 1/2 years 30,000 miles and had little or no problems with it that wouldnt occur with any other car a wheel bearing failure, a couple of ball joints and a CV boot split after 24,000 miles in my ownership which I replaced with a Holfmans one

The only problem I did have was the O/S Engine mount which cracked and broke twice both times the mount was replaced FOC all be it taking a while ~ down to the manufactor of the engine mount’s not Pheonix , the second mount was strengthened and slightly differant design to get rid of the square bolt holes which stress fractured across the corners and broke dropping the engine onto the under tray

The engine was re mapped from the early origional map which had a wee flat spot in it ~ according to a couple of other Pheonix converted car owners I know

Interesting, mines done about the same milage over the last 2 years, will have a look at the engine mount. Assume it’s a fairly easy DIY fix, drop the trays and support the engine from below before swapping the mount.

T

Hi yes only took an hour,

drop the trays and support the engine from below, remove OS wheel and wheel arch liner to allow engine mount access from under the OS wheel arch
No need to remove the drive belt unless it needs replacing
cheers Hamish

So just the drivers side mount needs doing, might see if I can get one as I need to drop the trays to reset the exhaust and fix a tinkly rattle from some kinda clip at 2300rpm.

Had a mate of mine who’s a mech eng by trade and who said “yeah square holes will cause fatigue spots, round em off or get one with square holes”

Yes only the drivers side
~I’ve had no issues with the N/S one (was told by a honda Tech its STD Honda)

Which conversion kit is installed by Phoenix?

Not sure, but did like the look of the mounts under the engine and at the back.

Downpipe does get close to the diffuser though.

Their own, developed in conjunction with Tony Stansfield.

The left side mount (as viewed from the back of the car) is a modified Honda oem engine mount.

Had my Phoenix conversion for over 3 years now, and I’ve never had any maor issues with it :slight_smile:

I just need to uprate the manifold as I’m still on the standard Honda manifold that comes with the install, and I’m told it strangles the engine slightly

Good to know, mine was done in 2008 but I’ve owned it for just over a month.

Exhaust has shifted slight, causing the downpipe to touch the diffuser, melting a small hole and making a buzz. However realigned it at the weekend, and cut a small hole in the diffuser to clear the DP.

Plan is to go see Chris Tullett for a new manifold, maybe we should do a group thing with other Pheonix cars as the design will be the same. Miles?

[quote=MilesH]Had my Phoenix conversion for over 3 years now, and I’ve never had any maor issues with it :slight_smile:

I just need to uprate the manifold as I’m still on the standard Honda manifold that comes with the install, and I’m told it strangles the engine slightly [/quote]

My NA Pheonix Elise still has the original cut and shut manifold but when Tdi had it to map it then later to put in a cold start map they told me it had 205bhp at the hubs and was one of the better they had seen, are you sure your car’s not on the original Pheonix map the early ones apparantly had a flat spot on them ?

Lets face it Honda must have spent $$$$ thousands designing the original cast manifold for the engine so I doubt it would be that bad although it did use a much higher Vtec point than most Honda ElisesExiges

Do you guys have the Omex ECU’s?

I did read on http://www.elise-r.co.uk/omex-when-good-maps-go-bad-or-summat/ that some omex installs dont controll the VTC, my map is that exact map on this site.

Mine very badly behaved on cold start, very flat and jumpy. Once it’s warm though it’s fine.