Palmer buys Octogan circuits

Seems like a good result - provided trackday costs don’t soar!

See Autosport

indeed

I have noticed how expensive the Palmer days are, but at least it seems likely that the circuits will stay circuits

My cheap days are with OnTrack, who are owned by Octogan, so I hope our �170 Silverstone day isn’t scuppered by this. I’ll let you know.

Ian

Ian et al,

The bit of Octagon that has been sold is Brands Hatch Circuits Limited (formerly known as Octagon Motorsports UK). This includes Brands Hatch itself, Silverstone, Cadwell Park, Snetterton and Oulton Park, so all of these will be under new management.

I (on behalf of VSCC) am currently awaiting contracts for 2004 meetings at Silverstone (x2) and Cadwell Park � hopefully these will soon now appear. I suspect that part of the deal with Palmer will be to honour provisional 2004 bookings with traditional clubs, TDOs and the like.

I actually did quite a lot of research on this topic when Octagon originally bought these circuits (and others) and was referred to the Competition Commission . A report was published in 2001. Go here for a summary and link to the full report.

This is just one more step in a big sorry saga that has almost crippled British club motorsport. Let�s hope the new owners aren�t as greedy as Octagon/Interpublic (who were only really interested in BIG events and really only wanted the British GP).JP is at least a true motorsports enthusiast and, I believe, a supporter of club racing and track days so things could be looking up…

Regards

Mike

Guys

I guess this means Brands Hatch attempts to host the F1 GP will now be out of the equation?

83man
THe article says that Interpublic are holding onto Silverstone to concentrate on big events - maybe this will mean our shot at Silverstone with IDG for �170 will be boogerrdd ???

Being part of Octogon, OnTrack were aware of the sale and still haven’t got any dates confirmed (the ones currently in EVO mag were apparently ‘on a promise’). I got the impression (as they were talking about new letterheads) that OnTrack was part of the the deal.

That said, EVO have a very good relation with Palmer so I’d expect the OnTrack set-up may benefit from that.

Ian

83man
THe article says that Interpublic are holding onto Silverstone to concentrate on big events - maybe this will mean our shot at Silverstone with IDG for �170 will be boogerrdd ???

Rox et al,

Yes, you’re right (I have only just read the full release). Octagon are hanging on to Silverstone which proves my point about Interpublic wanting just the GP and also probably means (as Ian says) that Octagon/OnTrack is still a partnership at Silverstone and these track days should be OK.

As an aside I don’t think Silversone (not even the Club circuit) is very good for the Exige - too many long straight bits where, otherwise less capable, cars can overtake.

Regards

As an aside I don’t think Silversone (not even the Club circuit) is very good for the Exige - too many long straight bits where, otherwise less capable, cars can overtake.

I thought that but the Exige really flys round the GP circuit. The only really long bit there is hanger straight and the Exige comes out of the esses so fast that it’s the one doing the overtaking!

Ian

Rox said…THe article says that Interpublic are holding onto Silverstone to concentrate on big events … 83man said…Octagon are hanging on to Silverstone

Of course, and having thought it through more thoroughly, Silverstone is only leased to Octagon anyway and is still ‘owned’ by the BRDC so Octagon could only have sold the lease anyway… and without the Silverstone
lease the deal will have been a whole lot cheaper (more affordable) for JP

Regards

Regards

83man – i kindof always had that feeling myself but… you have to want to drive the F1 GP cct surely ???

Also - From the exige owners who have driven Silverstone and talked to me about it… they all say the same as IDG… ie Youd be surprised !!! mmmm… i like that.

Rox,

I know Silverstone very well. I did my ARDS test on the southern circuit and have driven both the Club and International circuits (but not at speed in the Exige) nor have I driven the full GP circuit

Clearly, the Exige would be great through the complex and the new Abbey, probably also very fast through Becketts, the Vale etc but I can’t help thinking that Hangar Straight and (on the Club circuit) the Club straight are just too long for the Exige to hold its ground. Not that I wouldn’t mind trying…

Regards

Well if all goes according to plan (and you’re feeling up it it in the next few months) come and join the party!

I think the straights at Cadwell compromise the Exige more than Hanger and Club at Silverstone, as braking is a real issue for the following bends. The Exige making up time on most things there even if they’ve been catching up after being humbled in the esses (where Exige low weight, grip and downforce make it pretty special). The bends at the end of the straights at Cadwell are a bit more open/cambered.

Ian

come and join the party!

Ian,

I may well do…

Regards

Hey… wheres the party ?..

A Silverstone trackday, remember? (your did I misread your humour there?)

Ian

I did 2 days on the silverstone GP circuit last year and I would have to say its my favourite circuit for the exige - there are so many wide runoff areas that you really dont have to think about hitting anything…

Taking the corners in turn:

Copse - high downforce helps the Exige turn in and hold a good line better than most

Maggots & Becketts - again catch most other types of cars in an Exige

Stowe - if you have the balls can be taken really fast as the circuit has more room than you think on the exit

Bridge - just throw it in in an Exige and you can make 50 yards on the car in front by the time you are only halfway through Priory - must be one of the best corners in the world

A Silverstone trackday, remember? (your did I misread your humour there?)

Ian

briinnggg it ooonn…

A prize for the firt person to lose it through STOWE then

Oh, and I don’t mean bottle, I mean car

Bridge - just throw it in in an Exige and you can make 50 yards on the car in front by the time you are only halfway through Priory - must be one of the best corners in the world

I’m with you on that! Driving and watching. I once saw Jacque come through there in a 140mph drift - magic! He may be a bit of a twit but boy can he control a car (a little better that I ). Plus the Rubens/Kimi ding-dong of last year.

Ian